Are using F1s best for breeding?

Beginner chucker question on nomenclature:
So I have a polyhybrid F1 from a breeder collaboration of regular seeds.
What designation would the offspring be if I breed a F1 male to a F1 female from the same pack?
Many thank yous.

3 Likes

That would be F2. ANY F1’s crossed to each other become F2 and variable in traits. It’s KNOWING what to look for that’s expressed in plant traits. Example I was looking for NO stretch and I choose a male Xmas Bud that did minimal stretch, thus has now become predominantly expressed.

8 Likes

This is why landraces and old worked ibl heirlooms are so important. It used to be much more common for people to have isolated gene pools but with the current culture of hype strains and the next new thing we are working towards a genetic bottleneck faster then ever before.

6 Likes

I absolutely couldn’t agree with you more! I spoke to a breeder in OR that told me of this time during the later 90’s and very concerned about a diluted gene pool in the future. And he was right, and it’s scary to see low fertility and reception to pollen growing. I don’t particularly like selfing either. Only very select strains were feminized, now it’s 3-4 x and I wasn’t too impressed by reversal females to male pollen sacks that grow in calyx cases. I feel more comfortable with regular photoperiod strains, than all this new manipulated stuff. I want to go back to the 90’s…

6 Likes

It’s why I originally started collecting seeds , when medical took hold everybody started growing from clones and very few cared about seeds anymore and is was next to impossible to have them imported after the heavens stairway /emery fiasco. Things are better then I expected we have landrace enthusiasts and preservationists all over this board and the masses are starting to realize that something is lacking in the selection.
You can’t Inbreed for ever with out problems and you can’t cross hybrid to hybrid indefinitely and expect any type of predictable or stable outcome. It’s called line breeding in the canine world and is what produces the best outcomes. To keep a strain around and not have it go to far in either direction is a fine line to walk.
Dominate , co dominate and recessive genes are nature’s way of making sure it never creates two identical things because they would not breed well if at all and nature wants to continue to exist.
Learning about dna/rna , base pairs etc is boring for some people but I always found it fascinating how sneaky nature can be.

8 Likes