Are you a fan of the Fabulous Furry Freak Bros comix?

I just stumbled across some of my old Fabulous Furry Freak Bros comix collection. Does anyone here remember Freewheelin’ Franklin, Phineas Freak, Fat Freddy and Fat Freddy’s cat?

Who remembers when Canada declared these comix, along with all cannabis advocacy literature, illegal?

Finding these brought back some memories for me.

I remember the shock of discovering they were declared illegal.

Getting caught with ANY publications that cast cannabis in a positive light led to HUGE FINES and JAIL TIME!

First Offense: $100,000 Fine/6 Months in JAIL
Second Offense: $300,000 Fine/1 YEAR in JAIL

Which goes to prove, prohibition was never about the cannabis.

CRIMINAL CODE OF CANADA section 462.2 Every one who knowingly imports into Canada, exports from Canada, manufactures, promotes or sells instruments or literature for illicit drug use is guilty of an offence and is liable on summary conviction

(a) for a first offence, to a fine not exceeding one hundred thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both; or
(b) for a second or subsequent offence, to a fine not exceeding three hundred thousand dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year or to both. [R.S.C. 1985, c.50 (4th Supp.), s.1.]

Imagine! $100,000 Fine & 6 months in JAIL - for a comic?!

Thankfully, there are those who still believe in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms - people like Madame Justice Ellen MacDonald.

“Prohibition in s.462.2 of Criminal Code of distribution of “literature for illicit drug use” infringes freedom of expression and is not saved under s.1 of Charter – Words “or literature” in s.462.2 are of no force or effect – Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, ss.1,2(b) – Criminal Code, R.S.C. 1985, c.C-46, s.462.2.” - Iorfida v. MacIntyre; Ontario Court (General Division), Ellen MacDonald J. - October 5, 1994

13 Likes

I had all of them back in the 80s, used to get them under the counter upstairs at Virgin Records in Glasgow. I used to pick up a copy of High Times while i was there. Those were strange days :laughing:

4 Likes

hey :mega: @oleskool830 !!!

:wink:

:evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

Yeh he’s a big fan of the freak bros too :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Wait-- those were banned in CANADA?! :astonished:

I don’t beleeeeeeb it

2 Likes

Like i said, those were strange days :laughing: they even made rave music illegal here for a bit but that failed cos they couldn’t agree on what actually defines rave music :joy:

4 Likes

I had a custom t-shirt made from the back cover of, I believe, the second comic in your post. It says, IIRC “Freewheelin’ Franklin says: Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope”.

My ex stole the shirt. :frowning:

4 Likes

Put a smile on my face, and a song in my heart…

Welcome to OverGrow… Buzz ON

4 Likes

This clearly unconstitutional law, enacted back in 1988 by the Conservative government of Brian Mulroney, passed with unanimous consent of all parties in Parliament - only Svend Robinson of the NDP was brave enough to vote against it.

BTW, Did you know this law remains in force? Since it was appealed in the provincial court, not the Supreme Court, the ban on literature was overturned in Ontario, but the law still remains in force in other provinces.

2 Likes

That is my most favorite quote!

5 Likes

That’s the one.:+1:

I think I still have the comic somewhere with other souvenirs of my misspent, but wildly enjoyable youth.

I think I even have a copy of Fat Freddy’s Cat. There were one page comics in the FFB books, but the Cat also had at least one issue that was all him.

2 Likes

I actually remember my father introducing me to the FFFB comics as a teenager. I loved them then and I still do now!

1 Like

I loved Fat Freddy’s Cat! And Fritz the cat.
:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

My favorite issue was the one with Captain Pissgum and his Perverted Pirates. Funny Shit! Those were the days my friend.

1 Like

No! Wait! That was Zapp Comics. Another classic

2 Likes

I loved Fat Freddy’s Cat, and I vaguely remember the issue you’re talking about.

Another classic underground comic.

Found a couple more…

The antics of this trio never ceased to entertain…

and the comix were even more enjoyable because they were tongue-in-cheek humor, coupled with a ‘pinch’ of satire.

How many issues are you familiar with?

1 Like

I’d smoke/eat Snappy Sockeroos. Sounds good.

The most fucked-up one I recall is when Fat Freddy went back to his home town and a friendly young hippy chick took him home and screwed him. The chick ended up being his little sister that he hadn’t seen in years.

When he realized, I think FF’s only comment was “far out” or some such.

1 Like