Blumat Setup questions

I am running 10 gallon fabric no till pots. I just ordered the Blumat Longs Kit which comes with the 9" maxi carrots. Any experienced users out there that can chime in? Would it be better to install the carrot through the side near the bottom of the pot horizontally, or should I place it right in the pot? Also how do you get the water to distribute around the whole pot?

3 Likes

I have a couple of those carrots. But I prefer the 4" (I think) ones better. The 9’s will work ok but they’re better in larger pots. I feel the small carrots keep more of the total soil volume at a more equal moisture. In a 10 gallon pot I would use two carrots on either side of the plant.

They work thru capillary action. As the moisture in the soil decreases it draws more moisture from the ceramic of the carrot, lowering the internal water a minuscule amount but enough to open the valve and let water out. They keep you whole pot watered by the same action. The less moist soil will pull moisture from the more moist soil until they both reach an equilibrium.

Just make sure that there’s not rocks under the ceramic. That messes with the carrot and you risk draining your whole res.

Edit: if you use two for the pot set the drip line so it drips about 3-4 inches from the base of the plant. This will also help ensure a more even moisture.

4 Likes

Iv seen diagrams depicting carrots in the side but with the 9 incher I wouldn’t think it would be necessary what your next step would be a distribution set 5 drippers that hook in to the carrot so it could circle the pot these guys have what you need www.sustainablevillage.com

3 Likes

Thanks man! I appreciate it!

1 Like

Yeah that’s where I ordered the kit from. Thanks Tuttle

2 Likes

Definitely looks like a half assed kit to me.

2 Likes

Ya those kits come with 7 meters of tubing super flex is a tad more $ looks a little short

2 Likes

I sure hope they make it right! They have a good reputation, so Im sure they will.

2 Likes

Ya there right down in your neck of the woods right? North Denver or somewhere close

1 Like

Yeah I think they are in Boulder if I’m not mistaking. Not too far.

2 Likes

Calling @GrowHard, he’s a master at all things Blumat

3 Likes

I’m going to listen up if you don’t mind seems like I’m having a small issue getting my 4 beds dialed in maybe a moisture meter would help my cause?

2 Likes