Bodhi Plant and seed guide (Part 3)

Man, I think my move going forward is going to be to try to make more seeds from anything I pop of B’s if for no other reason than preservation

17 Likes

Dude I was looking forward to popping packs where I wouldn’t have to care about keeping males lol. Looks like that’s out the window

13 Likes

Nah, just going a different direction.
Hes always been cool with people F2’ing anything thats not in testing phase, and for that it was simply so people dont end up with shitty genetics and so he doesn’t get a bad name from and F2 of something that turned out to taste like leather and full hermed at week 4.

Cookies is affording him the same room to breathe as Kevin from Wonderland.
Where they used to have to hustle each day to make a living by trying to make everyone happy by outting everything under the sun to market, they are now working a more singular market. And that’s a good thing as Bodhi can now work heirlooms instead of trying to pollinate every hype cut out there.

22 Likes

I certainly hope that’s what’s up, would love to see what he can do without worrying about a paycheck with all the killer genetics he has access to.

Still gonna F2 everything though :joy::joy::joy:

21 Likes

I make a few seeds on lower branches on every run, pretty easy and you have it preserved. a few bud sites can be 100 seeds. Just take the male out once the balls are about to drop pollen and spray water whenever you want to kill stray pollen

22 Likes

Yup that’s also a great idea if space is limited, I have done this before as well, but OP preserves more of the gene pool if you know what I mean, selecting males and females is an art that comes with experience, but if just trying to preserve genetics the wider amount of genetic material available from multiple males and females is better in my opinion.

10 Likes

Wasn’t too long ago the SSDD f2’s from Sebring got limited, if there are any of those still left out there perhaps he could distribute them now.

I pretty much figure if I buy seeds (or they are given to me) I intend to make enough seed to keep the genetics around if I like them.

12 Likes

I disagree. Open pollinations are too laissez faire to get a proper preservation of the gene pool. They favor earlier flowering males than later flowering ones. You’ll get more of those seeds than later flowering males. It’s VERY random and you dont really know what you’re going to end up with. The only way, IMO, to really preserve a gene pool is to match a clone of every female to a clone of every male. This ensures you get a proper preservation of all the genetics that are in the plants that you have in front of you.

21 Likes

I heard a cool tip to deal with the early males dominating the OP. Basically just top them bigtime once you realize they are super early, so they don’t have as much pollen to throw around. Either that or cull if you have a lot of males and one is super early.

17 Likes

Playing devils advocate…. But that could be the fun in it as well if you love to pheno hunt. For example, I got the love triangle in shoes fundraiser mainly because jbc’s description of the cross can be absolutely mad when you pheno hunt :joy: .

THIS WAS A REAL SURPRISE FOR BODHI SEEDS. THEY THOUGHT IT WOULD BE SIMILAR TO THE GOJI OG, BUT WITH ITS OWN SUBTLE DIFFERENCES… IT HAS NO REAL LEMON BERRY TWANG LIKE THE GOJI OG, INSTEAD, A FULL RANGE OF REALLY UNIQUE PHENOS, FROM PLUMERIA OG MODULES, TO SPARKLING WILD CHERRY CHEMMY PLAYDOH SPEARHEADS, DUMPSTER GLUE AND SPEARMINT KUSH NUGGLINGS. SOME PHENOS COME WITH FROSTY MASSIVE OG LIKE NUGS, AND THE MOST AMAZING MUTED CHERRY PLAYDOH PEPPER CHEM KUSH AROMA, WITH HUGE GLISTENING STALKED TRICHOMES. IF YOU LIKE DIGGING IN THE GENETIC TREASURE CHEST FOR SPECIAL LADIES, THIS IS A GREAT LINE TO EXPLORE WITH ENOUGH VARIATION TO PLEASE ANY PALETTE, AND THE POTENCY TO IMMOBILIZE EVEN THE SEASONED DANKSTER.

15 Likes

That definitely sounds like it would be more of an exact preservation done like you described, but I was just going off my experiences with pollen chucking and such which is pretty limited compared to a lot of y’all on here I’m sure…

But I’m always learning, adapting, plus changing my methods and practices as well. I’ll try to do it more like you described, the next time I preserve anything that I want to keep around and share with folks just to see how I like the results.

@VAhomegrown thanks for getting me thinking more about projects I want to work on the next few years, I kind of put pollen chucking aside temporarily after a few experiments in the last few years, but I’m wanting to jump back into it soon just based on this conversation!

18 Likes

Kinda disagree there as well. I’d personally rather explore known m/f matchups than random OP seeds. You might find that you like certain matchups over others. If you know which ones you prefer, you can then use those to work a line or do whatever with. Note we’re talking about pheno hunting vs open pollinations now

Dude I’ve only just gotten into this stuff this past year myself. I don’t know shit about fuck lol. I dont shit about Punnett Squares or anything like that. I’m running on a pretty basic knowledge base myself, IMO. Always constantly learning new things through this wonderful forum though! I think most things in life come down to finite mathematics in some way. If this, then that. Not that everything is predicable, though. There’s always the unquantifiable things we can’t see or know that can change things up. Like our endocannabinoid systems. Which is why, for the most part, we always have to grow out the progeny of a cross to know what the high is going to be like. I must be high I’m rambling like a mofo

17 Likes

It’s subjective and all based on what you’re looking for. I don’t breed or anything so I have some leeway to see what comes from a seed. If you’re being very intentional in your approach, different story. I’m still learning as you know and just doing my own f2 project to preserve a line. I have much more knowledge to absorb lol .

9 Likes

I think the “line” you are trying to preserve makes a lot of difference in how to go about preserving it. Since this is a Bodhi thread I’ll use a few of his as examples. Something relatively inbred and true breeding like his Acapulco gold can be preserved through open pollination as you don’t really want to bottle neck the genes much more. I still wonder if splitting the population into groups, say a, b, and c and then eventually recombining them once in a while is a better way to keep it going long term, but I’m not sure.
Anyway, something like goji og that is an f1 of two plants, and at least one of those isn’t very inbred to me is very different. What are you trying to preserve? The f2’s of an open pollination will have all sorts of stuff that isn’t like the original cross. Are you trying to preserve what the original cross was like? If so I think selection of the plants that come out like what you liked in the original over generations is what is needed. If not and you only open pollinate for a few generations you may have all original genes, but finding the plants with the combination of those genes expressing how you like may become harder to find and hunts will have to be larger.
So for me personally, if I’m looking for a berry goji og plant, I’d rather get an f2 or fx from someone like @VAhomegrown that can tell me his female has the smell, taste, effect I want from the line and the male (or males of he had them) was as close he had to a match, then to get an open pollination of some goji og because I believe I’ll have a higher percentage of those berry goji plants popping out in a selective breeding.

15 Likes

I don’t mean for this to come off as snarky tone because that’s not how I’m intending this as I write this reply , but that’s literally the long version of what I said above , no? :joy:

4 Likes

Yes, I am saying parts of what all three of you said. I didn’t see you mention the difference of how broad a genepool you are starting with and I think that is key. The plants can hold many more genes than you can see in one or even a set of plants and knowing how inbred or not a line you are working with will help guide how to work with it. To me there really isn’t that much interest in open pollinating a f1 cross with very broad gene pool because it’s gonna have so many plants not like the original cross. Sure you may find some really cool stuff in there, but is it really goji og for example?

13 Likes

This is something that I’ve been thinking about as well. One thing I think would be cool to do is to check out Bodhi’s notes. Like Time Bender was said to have dissociative effects. So you single out the females that carry the effect. Lucky Charms single out the cereal tasting phenos, etc… Some are going to be harder to do than others though, as there isn’t detailed info on everything, and the males, you can’t really know what they bring til you grow the progeny out, but it’s a start, and I think doing that when possible continues the spirit of what B was setting out to do with the cross

17 Likes

No, but when I go to pop Goji OG F2’s (or any other OP run F2’s) it’s not to look for whatever description bodhi or someone gave for the F1’s. It’s to look for Nepali OG or Snow Lotus pheno’s, the grandparent’s, as that’s the first place they’re going to show up.

23 Likes

Yeah, I started typing that but then lost interest haha. You know this already, holy, but if you’re making “f2’s” with something like a Snow Lotus cross or any kind of polyhybrid, whether you do selective breeding or an open pollination, the resultant plants are gonna be all over the place.

The only way to get true-breeding/growing plants is to use parents that’re “pure” and not hybrids.

16 Likes

What if Bodhi himself popped up on this thread, new username, first post, and just goes “yep everything you guys said is accurate”

And suddenly I’m like… how weird is this thread for Bodhi to lurk and read? Why is he not here?

5 Likes