Breaking in new bulbs!

What’s up homies!

So I run hortilux 1k super hps and have never used them for veg. So I usually run them for 100 hours before placing them in the main bloom room. Is this a good practice?

1 Like

100 ?
Well… a few hours of break in is a concept I can understand, while 100 hours on something that have a 4000 h lifetime before losing power looks a bit too much ( 2.5% to be pedantic, lol )
Ds

6 Likes

I’ve always just screwed them in and set the timer to 12/12. I can recall 1 bulb failing over the years, I blame it on being cheap off-brand. Never an issue with hortilux and ushio, replaced as worn out. Curious to hear other inputs.

5 Likes

Why?
I “break-in” my lamps over a garden. Never had, or heard of anyone having an issue otherwise.

5 Likes

Not aware of any need to “break in” new bulbs.

Anyway, I make certain that I always have backup bulbs readily available.

4 Likes

That’s some good advice right there!

3 Likes

Never heard of such a thing. Ive always put them in on some babies right away.

2 Likes

Damn I feel dumb, I break them in like that before I have to use them in a dimmed situation, I run 1k in my bloom rooms but I like to switch my lighting to hps about 1 week before flipping to get a lil stretch on my shorter phenos! So I use 600 mh In my veg so instead of having a 600 hps bulb just for those 2 weeks I turn the ballast down to 600 and slowly bump it up to 1k. I just figured it wasn’t a good idea to start using a 1k bulb at 600.

Dimming isnt optimal for hps …low cost bulbs die quite often from this…
Spectrum isnt right anymore too, light is reddish than due…
That said, I use to run my 600@400 the first 3 days plants get in flowering room, to limit light intensity change shock …
Ds

1 Like