Chez Calix - Journey of a Junior grower

I’ve got a inquiry.

Presuming I am going to finish these 4 in the one tent.

Could I possibly cut one of the plants branches down to a few main colas. And possible Prune another - this will Increase space for the other plants.

I have 3 sour jacks and 1 Birthday cake. So i wouldn’t be too hard pressed having @ bit less of the sour jacks

How does this idea sound?

Prune one plant heavily leaving 4-5 major branches and lightly prune the others to allow more space for flowering- while also tieing some of the other plants as necessary .

Is this a viable option to consider keeping all 4 in the tent?

Should I revisit this after stretch ? Or Mitigate now?

Really don’t want to cull one …and don’t want two flower tents
OR A third option. Keep one aS a mother and put it IN VEG tent?? just thought of this…

Only 1 week into flower - it shouldn’t be a problem to switch back to veg?

Or try and flower all 4 in close proximity

Input be great

@Foreigner
@Foreveryoung
@anon20530495
@ReikoX
@CADMAN

4 Likes

I’m not shy about cutting branches I don’t like. I’ll do it at any stage but I usually make my final cuts at the end of the stretch. You can see very easily which branches are keepers and which ones can go.

Mothers - your call. Also a good idea.

1 Like

Really appreciate you sharing this info and helping me grow.
Overgrow is the best!

My follow up question to the “mother” option -
would there be undue stress the longer I wait to make this decision - waiting until after stretch ?
Would this technically be considered re-vegging? Lol

I understand it’s ultimately my decision and would not impose such decision making on anyone!

Ill gather As much information as possible before making that decision .

1 Like

I think I’ve got an idea…
Nothing brilliant Or original.
But I think i am going to keep my veg tent literally a veg tent to house mother’s and new seeds/clones.

hahahahaha I’m not so bright . I was worried my two runts would be ready for flower long before my flower tent has space available. . . .so I will just keep them in a veg state until my flower tent is 5-6 weeks away Fromm finishing ,take cuts, grow them , finish flowering and drying , then prep tent for flowering again.

Another question.

How do I keep a mother ? How do I keep a plant from continuously growing vertical +horizontal , top and prune often?? I assume x plant will still require nutrients ? Not just water?

EDIT - I may as well take one sourjack out, Who knows I may not even like the sourjack flowering profile , so I can just flower it later If I do or kill it if i hate it/ give it away

1 Like

I don’t keep mothers so maybe someone else can help you with that.

I sometimes run a clone off a clone off a clone.

You can clone during flower/after stretch but if I were in your position with enough space I’d clone everything and keep the ones that you like when they express themselves in flower.

Just make sure to label them :joy:

1 Like

This was suggested to me by other og members and is how i plan on keeping some mother plants.

3 Likes

Keeping moms feed 1-1-1 npk low amount for slow growth but topping often , creative bending, and root pruning in small containers to keep it from forced flowering

3 Likes

@Foreigner
One of these plants is not like the others !

3 Likes

Since you’re taking clones it’ll be pretty easy to even out the canopy.

If they stretch differently (which they probably will) then you can just put boxes under the short ones to keep everything even :+1:

I use amazon boxes because we get lots of them and they come in different sizes.

Smart!
Wow does my hygrometer say 34 lol it must be a 8
That extra light must be zapping up the humidity. I’m reading 24.5 25.5 C
And the cardboard box is a good idea… I’ve used it before to prop up fan’s and filters.

Curious though If the cardboard absorbs moisture.and maybe attract critters. I know those little frigger earwigs like cardboard.

And I actually got my only successful clone from a TOP… I tried 12 other times front random pruning sessions…but I had one peat pod left and I actually topped that original BDAY,CLONE on far left …and it rooted ! I have a current cllone of it but it is major charlie brown xmas tree…like Skinny minni 16"

I think take those top.chute will clone great as they are clearly healthy specimens.

My other option is to bend them over to.let the rest catch up…

1 Like

It does. I put plastic sheet (cut to size recycling bags) and cut them to size so the cardboard doesn’t wick the moisture out of the pots. I’ve had boxes get damp and collapse before :joy:

LSTing the tall ones is a good idea but when they get bushy they take up more space.

The biggest variable I’ve found when cloning is temp. The others factors are important too but my clones root way faster in the summertime.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I just checked my hygrometer again and sure enough 33-35. Although top temp was 30C
Uh oh!
And some how the oscillating fan is keeping the pack on my light really cool compared to the booster fan

And I’ve ran the pan light before and it used to get really hot with the booster on it still

Hmmm I just switched the booster fan to other side of pack to see any any difference

3 Likes

Lots of ways to play this.

33% is low but ok. My tent has big temp/humidity swings. You can chase it or choose to accept it. I have no choice. I have no space or available power to run AC and a dehumidifier.

I can’t tell from your pic but if your sensor is getting direct light you could be getting a false reading. I have a sensor above the lights and a sensor below the canopy. I don’t worry too much about the temp below the light as long as it’s not crazy. If it feels hot to your hand it’s hot for your plants. A little hot is ok. If your roots are 30C, not so good.

I’ve also got an IR temp gun which is very useful for checking leaf temps.

3 Likes

I was high 60s until I put in this second light.

I also re arranged the exhaust pipe to pull hot air down from the top of tent .
Now.its back at top taking hot air from above the lights to keep lights a bit cool.

The sensor is placed 4" below the light and I did move.my light closer to the pocket that it’s sitting in

It must be False because I also fed two days ago which would increase humidity.
I will swap it up with my better one .

Thanks.man…if.you don’t ask you’ll never know :wink: thank you.

It

1 Like

This should get a better reading

4 Likes

For sure man.

You’ll have it dialled in in no time.

1 Like

Soo I checked my tote full of my excess soil I mixed…

Opened it for some soil to top the pots off…
Lots of this white cloud mould… Dumped it in back garden…
@CADMAN - does this constitute as good mould??? It’s not in my bale. Just in the tote…which had a mix of some all-purpose - rock dust - perlite

2 Likes

Umm I’m not too sure. But I don’t like how that one looks. :confused: I’m not a mold expert, but some are good and some are bad. I’m not too sure how to tell the difference :thinking:

1 Like

LOL. Appreciate the honesty .

I’ve seen this posted on the forum before . Can’t remember the consensus.

I can probably google it !

Definitly not going to shovel it into my garden lol

I am sure there is a perfectly acceptable scientific explanation. @JoeCrowe maybe? :slight_smile:

1 Like

give this a read I’m pretty confident its what your dealing with.

1 Like