Can someone explain cannabis breeding?

Spend a few years reading everything while experimenting yourself. The only way to truly understand what’s going on. Then trust your intuition. :fire:

5 Likes

He litterally used selfing to prove his hypothesis.

1 Like

Well. Peas are designed to self pollinate. Their flower structures are all closed in there like a snapdragon.

It’s not bro science, just a way to reflect that a dioecious plant pollinated itself.

2 Likes

S1 is the first generation of a selfed plant. Has no hearing on stability as far as i know. I’ve popped PLENTY of stable S1’s

3 Likes

James Loud has a new book on breeding + he also has site with his seeds “Cannabis Breeding” is the name of book
@RookieBuds – CSI is breeding S-1’s and is getting very stable plants - all from him are exceptional !!

1 Like

so open pollination = f1 or p1?

then after an open pollination I find common or useful traits (purple, frosty, big, tall) and breed them together repeaditly, each generation is an increment to f1? so open pollination = p1, second generation = f1, each successive generation of the bloodline is f2, f3, f4 and if backcrossed it becomes a bx?

so I open pollenate this white widow, and I find a male that’s tall and sativa like, and a purple squat one, and Tall sativa x purple squat = tall purple?

then through the ts x ps seeds I find good traits and breed them together until its stable?

or I can find a purple frosty in the generation after tsxps and backcross to the original parents and the inbreeding will stablize the genes and produce purple tall and purple frosty?

how I understand mendels square is

Tall purple x purple squat
Tp x Ps = Tp, Ps, Sp, Pp, that’s Dominante and recessive, but theres about 10 pairs of genes and it quickly escalates into a bigger equation

right? sorry about the funny names, that’s just how it came out lol =/

correct me if im wrong, and I am heading towards a breeding project for my uncles farm

2 Likes
5 Likes

The link above is a free version for anyone interested!

1 Like

I just want enough feminized seed to fill a plot and have family take over for me lol, I may make some crazy crosses down the line but sadly theyre really not for sale because of security concerns, one im working on is Pakistan chitral kush x Hindu Kush which should taste like berryish incense

thanks for the kind words!! and ya, I am working on my cannabis breeding, really got my eye on a frosty sativa, like Thai x white widow or blueberry x Thai

I will now explain cannabis breeding to you.

Forget everything you learned thus far then fuck around and find out :grin:

10 Likes

Open pollination is a method of fertilization. Periodt. Full stop. If you use this technique in your breeding games that boss, hog. If not ok. I don’t open pollinate weed. I don’t have the space or legal plant count.

Sure. The method to find useful traits is to

1. Start with plants with useful traits.
  2. Open pollinate and then plant as many plants as possible to find “the ones”

I want you to forget about open pollination. It’s honking your brains up.
The rest of this yes. Your nomenclature short hand is right on.

Imma cross out the open pollination part and go from there. If you pick yourself 2 males you have a sausage party. Find what you are looking for. If you want tall purple, pick the tallest purpleist pair you can find.

Mendel square is good for a basic understanding of the properties and probabilities of dominant and recessive traits of a single gene expression. Like, I’m a ginger. It’s a recessive trait. Neither of my parents are gingers but I have one grandparent who is. You can Mendel square my parents and see a probability of getting a ginger kid.

Mom- Blondeginger = Bg = my mothers gene expression is blonde, she carries an unexpressed ginger gene.
Dad - Blondeginger = Bg = same for dad.
This pair has a probability of 1:4 of having a ginger kid. 3:4 of having a blond kid, and 2 out of these three blondes are carrying unexpressed ginger genes.
So, if in your example tall and purple are somehow at the DNA level related, sure.

That’s enough typing, I’m tired now :joy: keep researching and asking questions!

1 Like

haha ya, im super keen on buying reg seeds and crossing them to seeds to see what I can get, maybe I can start a clone store or something with my family and their credit, people complain wayyyyyy too much about bud here locally (I live in farm land in ca), so if I can keep it simple I can survive in this economy

I think im gonna score some bubblegum seeds and maybe cross to something like critical+, got money left on my amex

ty for the write up!

I have like 4 tents, two for drying, no one in cali really cares about the plant limits and the cops are somewhat cool with me, so I can chuck some pollen in my grow tent for extra seeds

ill probably first try to cross breed something like a bubblegum male and probably purple #1 for a floral bubblegum purple strain, or maybe some early strain (I have room for 7 organic plants in 5 gallon bags)

ill probably document my first breeding forte on og after I harvest these white widow plants, im probably aiming for bubblegum male x purple #1 (clown bubblegum) after a narrowing process, ie similar traits to obtain a stable line of something purple and bubble gummy lol

so with the cross, I take a bubblegum male, pollenate a group of purple #1 (and bubblegums for extra seeds), and with a selection of one out of 3 purple #1 (all seeds will be labeled clown bubblelegum #1-3) take the progeny (lets say of plant cbg#2) and cross them together and it’ll stabilized if I keep crossing similar traits?

1 Like

What I’m saying is that learning about cannabis breeding follows the law of diminishing returns. You can study phenotype frequency, additive/complementary genes or every chemical reaction within the plant etc truth is beyond basic understanding, the real life advantages of a masters in pot are slim.

If you still want to learn in depth about breeding until you lose sleep, check out Nikolay’s genetics lessons on YouTube…

8 Likes

I recommend you buy a book such as An Introduction to Plant Breeding by Jack Brown & Peter Caligari (Blackwell Publishing) it contains all of the information you need to start breeding plants with a set goal.

The Majority of books on cannabis just won’t contain all the information in the above, Everything within it can be applied to your cannabis breeding goals.

2 Likes

After reading through this, I think I’ve talked myself out of attempting a breeding project this spring until I’ve got more more experience growing in general, more room and my brain is less honked up.

1 Like

I used to run a decent sized clone nursery on the central coast. And I can promise you it’s not worth it lol. I was selling 1000+ plants a month in the on season some years, even if you have the cleanest plants in the world, people will find ways to screw them up and blame you. That was also before the HPLV epidemic in the state. Nowadays the overhead of viriod testing alone makes it not worth it. And charging $100+ per cut is shameful and anyone doing it is a jerk lol

But people also mention cops not caring. My greenhouse/nursery setup got raided to SHIT lol. Post prop 64. They care a lot more than folks think. If its a couple tents in a garage or few plants in the yard no biggie. But you start doing numbers like you have to for a nursery, and it can bring a lot of heat fast.

7 Likes

Breeding is simple, why ?
Because you have to remember before all this vast knowledge databases we have today, books, internet and etc, people did it without it based on assumption, experience and real life results
You will often hear a lot of breeders say selection is key, and they are right, selection is 95% of the work in breeding, the other 5% is chucking the pollen
As long as you keep selecting according to your desired traits or goals, the gene pool will be more prone to your selections in future generations.
Nobody can promise you it will happen in the F3, F5 or even F7 generation as every strain breeds different.
But if you go at it enough, you should create a consistent seed line that mirrors the mother you started with.

Not everything is without cons though, as you select you have to be careful because as your selecting the high potency offspring for example, she may have other traits you don’t desire or even can mess up your goals etc…
That’s why selection is more than a key, it’s an art.

1 Like

Ok - not an expert, but think I can help with some of the basics.

“Open-pollination” is a method.

It has nothing to do with S1, F1, F2, BX…etc.

It simply means the pollination is done without direction, naturally released and spread by wind, animal, or insect to the recipient mothers.

This method is favored often in seed expansions or recreations along with multiple sires (males) and females to create maximum genetic-diversity that may or may not bring you “keepable/desirable” offspring.

A single sire or a single-mother may not be favored because limited diversity can sometimes lead to quicker “bottle-necking” of undesirable traits.

Sometimes though a single-male sire is the right-one, and bottlenecking of those good traits may be the desired goal. Choose the right daddy is good advice. Otherwise let Darwin and nature sort it out.

F1 is simply the first generation from unique-parents and separate strains (not clones of each other nor from one-mother nor one-strain)

Typically F1s are generally healthy and robust because of the genetic diversity of the parents and can express a variety of dominant and recessive traits.

This robustness and the variety of expression can degrade with successive generations. Eventually this may lead to the bottleneck of traits due to limited genetic diversity.

F2s. - Breeders will typically select from F1s and successive generations, plants that have specific traits they’d like to make dominant and consistent.

They’ll breed these F1s together to create a second or F2 generation, or F3, or F4, and so on, all from selected-parents of the previous generations.

F2’s and successive generations can be less robust due to doubling down on “bad” or “undesirable” recessive traits, but they can also express good-qualities when those desirable traits double up because of the breeder selection of parents.

The goal of many breeders is to create a set of consistent traits that will always be expressed no matter which parents are chosen from the previous generation of that strain. 0-phenotypical variation.

An S1 is ALWAYS female. They are made by taking a clone of a female-plant and reversing the sex of that clone with colloidal-silver, gibrellic-acid, silver-thiosulfate, or other hormone influencers and then using the pollen from this pseudo-male to fertilize a non-reversed clone from the same mother or strain. This is called “selfing”, thus the “S” in the S1.

It should be noted: Although all S1s are feminized-seeds, not all feminized-seeds are S1s. Two females from separate strains used as parents, with one of them reversed-hormonally will still produce F1-seeds with no “Y” chromosomes or male-genetics.

3 Likes

Don’t think about it too much. Take vigorous male A and cross with desirable female B.

Rinse and repeat.

The nomenclature will start to make sense soon enough

:+1:

5 Likes