F1 - R1 - S1 Differences

Hello. I kinda get some of it, but maybe a little clarity.

If I’m growing out a cross that was made from JTR x Moonbow reg seeds, and I select a male, and fertilize a selected female; am I making F2 or R2 seeds? I told someone I was making F2 and was corrected. Am I making R2 or F2 with these? Thanks.

5 Likes

I should’ve been a little more clear with the topic. I should’ve said all

2 Likes

do they share any lineage?

3 Likes

If youre crossing a male to his sister from the same cross, You’re making F2s.

F1 x F1 = F2

R1 is used by some to denote a Feminized cross of two different f1 lines. Like JTR f1 female crossed to reversed female moonbow = R1. R for reversed.
If you took your jtr x moonbow and instead of using a male, you reversed a different female sister, you’d be making R2.

If you took your chosen jtr x moonbow female and selfed her, made a clone of her and reversed that clone and used the pollen on the same non-reversed clone, you’d be making S1’s. S for selfed.

20 Likes

You are making F2s

Pz :v:t2:

10 Likes

does the filial generation always move forward in count when switching from F to R? Like from F3 to R4…i guess you can’t really go from R3 to F anything, but 1.

2 Likes

when entered to chat GPT:
When you cross a male and female plant from an original cross, you’re typically creating the next generation, and it’s commonly referred to as the “F1” generation. The “F” stands for “filial,” and “1” indicates the first generation resulting from the cross.

Here’s the breakdown:

• F1 (First Filial Generation): The initial cross between the JTR and Moonbow parental lines results in the F1 generation.

Now, if you select a male and fertilize a selected female from the F1 generation, you’re technically creating the second generation from this specific cross. In this context:

• F2 (Second Filial Generation): The seeds obtained from crossing selected plants within the F1 generation would be considered F2 seeds.

So, based on your description, if you’re working with the offspring of JTR x Moonbow and you make a new cross within this population, you would indeed be creating F2 seeds. The term “R2” is more commonly associated with regeneration or subsequent generations in tissue culture rather than conventional plant breeding.

In summary, you are correct in saying that you’re making F2 seeds in this scenario.

3 Likes

Yeah, the count always moves forward one for the next generation of beans.

Again, the R denotation is not really a standard (yet) for breeding. Most would just list the cross and say feminized.

1 Like

would still be F’s…

Isn’t there some purist stance that F1 isn’t F1 if the parentage has overlaps?

2 Likes

I believe there’s NL somewhere in the lineage of each

2 Likes

Yeah if you wanna get into actual botany standards, we don’t have many real F1s at all in modern cannabis. You’d need some landrace crosses.

5 Likes

Thank you. Yes. The seeds I ran were crossed from an original pack of each :+1:

2 Likes

I just don’t want to sound condescending to the person that corrected me without knowing myself.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen R1, that’s saying nothing, I haven’t seen much. @HolyAngel can you link info? I have so many questions.

2 Likes

There’s a bunch of info out there.

https://hightimes.com/grow/high-times-interview-compound-genetics/amp/

https://ethosgenetics.com/resources/the-ethos-of-plant-names-genetics-nomenclature

6 Likes

Excellent :ok_hand: thank you! Some light Sunday reading

4 Likes

So what’s female reversed onto her sisters in the r scale ?
Clone reversed onto the same clone is s1

Or is that another letter
Racking my brain for a good one hummmmmm

3 Likes

R2 If i understand correctly.

3 Likes

Thanks @InTheWoods

I’m liking the r scale , hope it catches on : )

3 Likes

I’m still wrapping my head around this stuff. I didn’t know there was a R scale until now haha.

5 Likes