Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome

I have CHS I’m sure of it. It’s undiagnosed but the red flags are there, specifically, severe stomach pains that are only helped by an extremely hot shower.
Personally, I thought it was brought on by all the coughing I do. I’m someone who coughs a lot when smoking. Doesn’t matter what strain or type. So maybe , I thought, the pain is brought on by all the constant pressure on my stomach but idk.

5 Likes

The one red flag that caught my eye was that in some people it takes years before symptoms occur…???

If that’s the case, how can they be so sure it’s even pot? There are millions of pathogens that we’re all exposed to in a year.

And, the fact that they seem to want to tie it to “medical” pot?? Sounds like a campaign by Big Pharma to steer you to a “safe” source… one they just happened to have developed…

Have any of these people that have been diagnosed have any proof of the “syndrome”? How is it diagnosed? Just by an interview with the patient? I’d be worried by other substances in our environment to be the problem first, imo.

Cannabis has been used for eons. Is there any historical data on this same syndrome? Surely it would have shown up in places like Afghanistan or huge hash producing regions, right?

Sorry for the skepticism, because this is the first I’ve heard about it, but seems like a huge leap, since the one researcher said they would need years to be sure. It just seems like there would be so many variables to be considered.

Anyway, I always want to hear this sort of stuff. It’s interesting to say the least.

7 Likes

You know it’s pot cause when you stop smoking pot, It stops happening.
Pot effects everyone differently. This idea that it’s completely harmless to everyone that smokes it is something a stoner would say.

7 Likes

What is your source of pot? Is it always the same variety, or do all types do this? Do you grow it yourself or does the grower use neem? There are 1,000,000 different variables.

It may simply be that more people are reporting it now that it is legal.

6 Likes

Black market and dispensary.
Not always the same variety.
No idea about been azamax…

There may a “million different variables” but the common thread between all the people that complain of this is their symptoms stopped when they quit smoking pot.

For me, this was pretty much impossible. I love smoking too much. What I did though was cut my flower consumption by switching to vaping. I’d say vaping constitutes at least 50% of my cannabis intake. Somehow that helped.
I think it has something to with coughing but I could be completely wrong.

6 Likes

I’m really sorry to hear this. I would suggest you grow some clean organic medicine and see if that helps. Both black market and dispensary will do anything necessary to keep a harvest…

I know I have smoked a lot of shitty weed in my day. The Mexican cartels could care less what was sprayed on their plants so long as they get payed…

7 Likes

Thank you man, I haven’t had an episode since the day I went to the emergency room for it.
They admit they don’t know what causes it. Apparently more research is needed.

6 Likes

It’s your consumption, you smoke alot or concentrates alot?

I was a heavy flower smoker until about a year ago when I switched to vapes.
I never did dabs, purely flower. I smoked 1-1.5 grams everyday for the last 15 years or so.
I can’t remember ever taking a break. I’ve never stopped smoking unless I got arrested.
Yeah they say it happens to heavy users who’ve smoked consistently for years.

4 Likes

You oughtta see the hits my girl takes!.. She’s a dab smoker. I almost puked from taking too big of a dab a couple of times… lol almost passed out a few times as well, actually, I fell into a plastic garbage can in my kitchen once… haha. The one thing ive noticed about dabs, You dont stay high on that shit for very long, unlike flower. Ive never vommited from flower… It seems literally impossible, at least for me.

4 Likes

I lightly sprayed that crap on a flowering crop once, and ruined it… I can still remember that taste… Horrible. I couldnt give it away.

4 Likes

So my take on all of this is that you stoners are smoking to much . My method is break up a nice bud put a little in the pipe and take one hit . Give the weed a chance to work . Today I didn’t follow my own instructions and took a couple of big pulls of Vision wow I can see where this could send some first timers to the emergency ward lol .

7 Likes

Cannabis Hyperemisis Syndrome is characterized by cyclic vomiting in people (usually under 50) who are frequent Cannabis users, usually with 10+ years of at least weekly use. Often they self discover hot baths/showers can alleviate acute symptoms. Ondasetron and other first line antiemetics usually are ineffective, though halperodol and benzodiazapines may work better.CHS is not caused by neem oil as some deniers have tried to claim. CHS is potentially fatal in extreme cases.

I suffer from CHS. I have had 4 severe episodes in the last 6 years. During the interim I have spent years in the “prodromal” phase of morning nausea, occasional vomiting, and nauseous sneezing (?!). I would like to talk reasonably about this very real condition and let others know there is support for them.

The following are personal opinions and are not yet supported by evidence:

One issue I take with the literature is characterizing all regular use as disuse/abuse. I use Cannabis medically to treat pain and insomnia. Another is that they state the only treatment is “complete cessation of all Cannabis use.” I suspect, and have some personal experience to suggest, only high-THC/THC dominant Cannabis is responsible. If CBD and perhaps other cannabinoids are present at high levels alongside or without THC it would likely greatly mitigate CHS. The relatively recent identification of this syndrome (2004) in areas with high-THC Cannabis use, without such history in areas with long traditions of heavy use (often of hashish with CBD content) also supports this possibility.

Some research links:
Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome Survey and Genomic Investigation

Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome: A Review of Potential Mechanisms

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome: potential mechanisms for the benefit of capsaicin and hot water hydrotherapy in treatment

Cannabis hyperemesis syndrome: an update on the pathophysiology and management

Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome: Diagnosis, Pathophysiology, and Treatment—a Systematic Review

Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome

Successful Treatment of Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome with Topical Capsaicin

Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome: Reports of Fatal Cases

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome: A review of the literature

Cannabinoid hyperemesis and the cyclic vomiting syndrome in adults: recognition, diagnosis, acute and long-term treatment

Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome: A Still Under-Recognized Syndrome

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome presentation to the emergency department: A two-year multicentre retrospective chart review in a major urban area

5 Likes

Do you only grow your own? Or dispensary meds too?

If yes, do you see any difference between the two on this condition?

2 Likes

I generally only consume my own and have for 20+ years. If I consume other Cannabis there is no noticeable difference, though CHS is a long term thing to develop. It isn’t like you consume some Cannabis and then feel nauseous immediately. Nausea almost always occurs in the morning and the severe episodes always start when I wake up in the middle of the night with severe vomiting.

4 Likes

I am totally ignorant to this subject. Thanks for answering. Hope ya feel better😁

This thread sucks and is why I started a separate thread to discuss this. Neem isn’t responsible.

The neem thing is a conspiracy theory. There is literally no evidence and many cases reports that reject it. I was trying to start a nonconspiracy discussion without having to address that bs. It’s tiring. All CHS discussions get sidetracked by people who just can’t believe cannabis could do something like that.

1 Like

Well, you are not wrong about too many off topic posts, so I cleaned the thread up a bit.

4 Likes

I have stopped using Cannabis after an episode for a similar amount of time as mentioned in that video. Then started using again for years before I had another episode. It may be they just haven’t had a reoccurance -yet.

I wonder in what extent just for shits and giggles if any one these people were smoking any of that synthetic crap and just happened to smoke weed too so it showed up on the toxicology report.if the new chem they lace that crap with isn’t in the system all thier going to see it the THC come up and go oh it’s da weed again.