Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome

It’s Cannabis. Not something else. Probably any CB1 agonist used long term in the same way could cause it though.

The Importance of Recognizing Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome from Synthetic Marijuana Use

I would have a very intent listen to this episode if I you haven’t already. I had to rewind a few sections as it gets quite technical but there is a lot of great info here that may help you.

3 Likes

Yes it is a good episode. The first link I posted is the Russo study they are talking about.

1 Like

It is really unfortunate that even the moderators here are pushing the lie that pesticides or contaminants are responsible for the etiology of CHS. There is no literature to support this, only social media posts from people that don’t have it.

The lie is your claim that the moderators are pushing an agenda. We’ve had this discussion already in PM and you are seemingly misrepresenting that now.

Post the whole discussion then. You refuse to provide me a space to talk with other CHS patients free of the misinformation that pesticides cause CHS.

Lol, no. As we’ve said, discuss your findings from your post (which has 13 links to research publications).

Let me start, ‘a research paper’ indicates that specific mutated genetic coding indicates the existence of a possible causal link to those experiencing CHS.

Trying to start a campaign with misrepresentation is not a suggested remedy.

1 Like

I will post the whole discussion as to not misrepresent your stance if I have permission to post the PMs.

As I explained in those discussions, I am not trying to have a scientific debate about completely unsupported hypotheses that are not present anywhere in the literature concerning the cause of CHS. I was trying to create a safe space for patients to discuss the syndrome with each other and you refused.

Posting pm’s violate the community guidelines. If people care about CHS they will research your links. People can agree to disagree. People will believe as they wish.JMHO :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

:green_heart: :seedling:

3 Likes

aw man… I’m really bummed out that growinghigher has been banned from overgrow.
is this a temporary or permanent suspension?

we were planning to work together on a blue dream preservation and expansion project…
looks like that’s gone down the tubes.

now I guess the community will never be able to preserve the rare Garberville blue dream in back crosses and hybrids.

2 Likes

didn’t see this before - did anyone ever say there was evidence of CHS being caused by synthetic azadirachtin? I haven’t seen that - it’s setting up a straw man to argue against the theory IMO. No, there’s no evidence, it’s just a hunch.

The theory of people getting CHS from pure, uncontaminated organic cannabis alone also has no evidence. The only evidence we have is that some people consuming cannabis get sick and recover by abstaining. I haven’t seen any studies that examined or tested the cannabis people smoked - zero investigation into that.

There are gaping holes in the theory that merit questioning and other hypotheses. Why is there no evidence that anyone had CHS prior to 2004? Which I believe was the same year synthesized azadirachtin started to be used. That hints at a more complicated cause beyond the cannabis plant itself and the timing is highly suspicious to me.

this is a country that allows 300 million pounds of glyphosate dumped onto food crops every year, while simultaneously banning it for home use because it causes cancer. An institutional bias against recognizing or measuring damage caused by pesticides exists in this country. We’ve seen a 1000% increase in cancer prevalence since 1900 in America. So I would say pesticides should be at the top of the list for a NEW sickness that comes out of nowhere from consuming plant crops.

6 Likes

My neighbor was diagnosed with this after she started going to the recreational dispensaries. She is a heavy user. She said that she was fine when she went to the medical dispensary, but I just heard from her husband last week she’s starting to get queasy again, so she quit smoking again. I assume she has been avoiding the rec dispensaries, so it seems the medical dispensary theory isn’t holding up.
She has been a heavy user for many years, but this just started up this past summer, at the time she started driving to another state’s recreational dispensaries. Currently we have medical dispensaries only in this state, though recreational is legal.
I believe she smokes high THC sativas mostly, no CBD, doesn’t like it.

1 Like

If you have an adverse reaction to something, just don’t do it. Seems pretty cut/dry. shrug

Well, no. If you have a mildly adverse reaction sometimes to something that otherwise gives you relief from pain or nausea? So it’s a bit more complex sometimes.

3 Likes

My significant other was diagnosed with this probably 5 years ago now. She was sick for a long time but, we both think it was misdiagnosed anxiety. After she recovered she went back to regular cannabis consumption with no problems and has been working through managing her anxiety symptoms and this has kept her well. It makes me wonder how many CHS diagnoses are just doctors assuming it’s that because they can’t / don’t want to delve deeper into what the symptoms could be. Easier to blame the devil’s lettuce for everything than truly diagnose what’s going on.

5 Likes

They are not describing something mildly adverse though. They are describing something that causes nausea and does not make one feel good AT ALL, in fact, quite horrible.

I don’t have a good reaction to alcohol at all. Didn’t try to figure out how to fix that square peg/round hole. I moved onto something else because it sucks, for me. hehehe :slight_smile:

Gotta listen to the body, if it says no, then no. Dont try to convince it otherwise.

2 Likes

yeah I never saw this thread before either, but it’s an interesting topic.

Cannabis is an excellent bioaccumulator of chemicals and even heavy metals present in the air and soil. Environmental contamination could potentially cause serious problems even in an organic grow.

I also wonder if it might be some kind of reaction to combustion chemicals like benzene. that might worsens over time with exposure. just a thought.

I’ve never had any symptoms like cannabis hyperemesis, but I know after getting sick from smoke exposure during two horrible wildfire seasons, I haven’t had any desire to smoke simply because I never want to smell smoke again in my life.

another thing that makes it seem like this is often misdiagnosed is the assertion that the only thing that alleviates the symptoms of cannabis hyperemesis syndrome is hot baths and showers.

hot baths relieve symptoms of many illnesses and causes. It helps with circulation and blood flow. even for anxiety or psychological problems it relieves stress. hot baths and contrast baths have been prescribed for hundreds of years and are still recommended for all kinds of conditions.

5 Likes

Yeah, at least in my SO’s case they did really help. But, they also really help alleviate her anxiety :slightly_smiling_face:

I will say, after her diagnosis we became much more aware of trying to smoke only the best/cleanest product and neither of us dab or use concentrates etc anymore. So, guess it could’ve possibly been bad dispo bud we were getting around this time. (Although being in CA and also being appreciators of good bud we never bought really bad weed.) All that said we both really think the diagnoses was BS. She’s really an extremely light smoker compared to some. Usually just takes a few hits in the evening when we’re watching TV. Probably only consumes .2 G’s a day on avg. But as soon as the doctors heard she smoked at all all they could talk about was CHS.

5 Likes

Right? I often take a shower or bath to calm my anxiety related nausea. The warmth helps you return to homeostasis. The water helps ease the mind.

6 Likes

considering some of the other possibilities that have been brought up previously in the thread-

I saw some articles about a hypothesis that this might be caused by a certain genetic marker. I would be curious to learn more about that as more research is done.

In chinese medicine it’s thought that the body can develop a negative reaction to herbs that are overused, so maybe there is a simple biological basis for this phenomenon in general.

whatever the cause, if it’s a genetic inability to process thc, overexposure, contamination, or even anxiety,
I’m certain that medical cannabis could still be utilized by anyone who needed it by using careful dosing, or using other cannabinoids instead of thc, strains more specifically targeted for their medical needs, or alternate methods of consumption like vaporizing, or even raw juicing.

5 Likes