Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome

Deja vu.

4 Likes

Seems to me the hyperemesis must be caused by one of pesticides or chem fertizliers being used commercially. It didn’t exist in the 90’s and people were smoking TONS of weed in the 90’s.

21 Likes

I believe they know that to be the case — they don’t even float a quasi-plausible reason for why smoked cannabis would cause it.

But that would force them to go after legal pesticide producers.

10 Likes

Oregon, earlier this year, has banned for sale Azamax (azadirachtin) due to possible adulteration with bifenthrin and permethrin. https://www.oregon.gov/ODA/programs/Pesticides/Documents/2018Advisories/AzaMax.pdf

Azadirachtin, itself, has historically been considered safe with low human toxicity. There has been some concerns with possible bio-accumulation leading to toxicity (CHS). However, there isn’t a definitive link at this point (that I’m aware of). If the Aza products are truly adulterated, this is perhaps more damning.

Along with the concern of accumulated toxicity of azadirachtin, I believe Parry America (e.g. via general hydroponics) has made a statement that the levels of the noted adulterants are below the regulatory levels and/or not used in the manufacturing of the product. They are disputing the test results from Oregon. Not that is of any comfort.

11 Likes

Nope, I’ve seen a young person diagnosed with that from unadulterated cannabis.

3 Likes

define "unadulterated’??? what does that mean

1 Like

not mixed or diluted with any different or extra elements; complete and absolute.

…grown by me.

I didn’t believe in it either, until I saw it with my own eyes. Pesticides are definitely not the cause. Someone affected by cannabis hyperemesis will feel the symptoms from your weed, my weed, or any others. I know someone who has it.

12 Likes

I’m still skeptical but good to know!

7 Likes

I hear ya. I wouldn’t have believed it either, if I hadn’t seen it for myself. :+1:

3 Likes

Hypersensitivity to THC or other cannabinoid? Perhaps developed from an earlier encounter?

Examples of hypersensitivity have occurred with repeated/prolonged contact with some types of chemicals (such as isocyanates) which have caused broad/cross hypersensitivities.

This (CHS) would be a good topic to discuss as a thread. I’d like to understand this more, just haven’t had the time to research current literature.

5 Likes

I have a doctor friend who has treated people with this, recently an 18-year old girl had it, it’s definitely real and seems to be getting worse.

there isn’t much literature on it - just describing it and how to diagnose it…nothing on what causes it

6 Likes

Strange similarity, a 19-year old girl in my case.

1 Like

This is getting veeeerrrrrry interesting, so it’s got a dedicated thread now.

2 Likes

Some background information, as I get up to speed, with additional links from there:

2 Likes

This has always been around. Just not diagnosed correctly or not talked about. The #'s get bigger because there are more smokers and more incredibly powerful cannabis. I remember a lot of my sacks from 20 yrs ago. I might have gotten 2 good ones then some crap the next 9 times… Now you can start with and never smoke anything but crazy strong topshelf… I can’t even find just ok commercial anymore… I’d love some because then I could smoke a blunt and not cry about how expensive it was later. I have friends that developed hyperemesis back in the 90’s. But they came to those conclusions on their own because you didn’t talk about your illicit habits with your doctor…

9 Likes

That’s what I’m noticing so far. Lot’s of “occurs by an unknown mechanism”.

3 Likes

I’m glad to see someone else blaming Azamax. Its giving neem a bad name.

4 Likes

Could you expand on your thoughts on this. Azadirachtin itself or with the possible adulterants?

2 Likes

Azamax is a concentration of azadiractin, one of the active ingredients in the neem seed. Because of this, some are claiming that neem is responsible for CHS. I believe it is from these concentrated products, not cold pressed oil. Testing will not differentiate between the two.

3 Likes

Organic grows won’t spare you from a pathogen ending up in your flower.

2 Likes