Cannabis microscopy

Have you ever looked to see if hydrogen peroxide has any effect on spider mites and their eggs? I want to know if it’s a viable solution for dipping whole clones/cutting and at what strength.

1 Like

I used peroxide at 3.3% strength and it has a negative effect on the plants resins and waxes. Spider mites seemed to enjoy it. Sorry I don’t have photos of that, I wish I had documented those studies. Documentation was non existent at that point because I didn’t think anyone would…want to know. I just needed to find a solution… for myself. I recommend drowning them with water submerging for 30 min and then washing them off with the sprayer. It was the most effective solution I could come up with. Required no trips to the store and I could complete the task in a weekend(30min basically), and never see the mites again. That’s how I defeated an infestation of super mites that I couldn’t poison to death. Found out poison was useless as a solution to mites, so I changed it up to never use poison.

4 Likes

Submerge for 30min, got it! Thank you! Prob a once over with a tooth brush prob wouldn’t hurt.

2 Likes

lol yah I use the vegetable sprayer to give them a quick rinse after being submerged. I didn’t get to test if you have to do that because the mites were all killed off, so there were no do-overs. uhh which was a good thing! Now I just keep doing the same thing because rinsing it off after submerging it is not a complex task. Tell me how the toothbrush thing works! I’m always interested in other stories.

3 Likes

Will do! Also wondering about sonic cleaning a cutting… I’ll test a small cut to see if a jewelry cleaner will damage it. I think it may rupture some cells or tissue, only one way to find out! Gotta dig mine out and see if it still works.

3 Likes

ok I got some images!

The final one I used 40X objective so it’s huge. I knocked a few trichome heads off but hey, it’s all in a days work??

6 Likes

Something I don’t often do is measure the width of the stalk. I’ll get a few images like that in as well. I’m curious as to how that varies. oh! shit! that last image had huge artifacts. Didn’t notice that, what a crappy image.

1 Like

The purple going up the stalk of the trichome surprised me somewhat, I’ll say. The plant itself isn’t purple so what the fuuuuuuuck is it doing there. I mean, are they all like that?? huh! I might have to just study that part of it hahah! Naw but in reality, we’ll see what happens. Got to get some more imaging done on other plants. All shall be revealed in time, young grasshopper.

1 Like

here’s the king tut at the same day. Well fuck me no purple. Case closed. lol lemme get closer, I see something.

4 Likes

There’s some kind of color at the base of this trichome.
Also, check out the caps, they are practically identical to the big bud ones in terms of width.

6 Likes

Phew! Feels kind of funky like cortisol levels are through the roof! This is the kind of day I need some powerful medication. Brains trapped in jello ooof. I had some kind of late night glucose thing, always sets me up for a shitty day hah hah! OK enough of that.
I took a sample of the meat breath. Here’s the strange part. I don’t see any…thing, to sample eh? There’s a tiny nub in between the branches. There’s leaves and those spiky things. I am going to check a part of a leaf that is really close to where the buds will start. I’m going to have to go in there and look around on all the plants. See if I can determine where a good sample zone is.
I know before I said I would sample a pre-flower yo…there isn’t one? laughs better rethink that one.

1 Like

I measured things. Small things. Leaf things! When the lights come on I’ll image a different sample.
You figure the trichomes are coming out of where those spheres would? Expands from where a sessile trichome would be?

2 Likes

check this out!

big bud!

meat breath!
I assumed, as it turns out, incorrectly, there would be something to sample like on the big bud.
So, I’m going to go image the blooming plants. I got another idea.

ok…ok ok! obviously I’m looking at two completely different plants. They have almost identical structures in the end, but it appears to not start out that way. Interesting!

5 Likes

I found it!

I will be checking this baby out, looks like there are established trichomes already on the pre-flower.

1 Like

hrrrrmmmm. ok, well I guess that’s how it is. It’s day 3 now and there is a 70 micron trichome cap already on a stalk. They’re probably like I saw before, trichomes are just busting out already in veg. The normal looking trichomes there must burst into stalk growing mode? I will keep a close eye on things! We’ll see how it unfolds. Here’s what I saw so far! The pre-flowers are way down the stalk on the meat breath. They are way high up and all over on the big bud. Trichomes are formed/forming already. Turns out the scanning of the pre-flowers was a good idea, I just couldn’t find the fucking things lol!

1 Like

I took an image of some random shit. It was a growth thing at the node of the franken plant. I still think I should put it in bloom for a bit to see what happens.

3 Likes

Going to get a better photo as well. Trichomes are looking good on the buds.

2 Likes

your photos are so good, i never have problems discerning if there clear cloudy or amber. the microscope is amazing

2 Likes

Just for shits and giggles I cut off a few root nodes from the experiment and put them under the scope… Crazyballs! Lookit that nuts shite!!!

2 Likes