Cannabis microscopy

That shot is crazy!!

1 Like

I am certainly not worthy of the quality of your microphotography. Many thanks.

1 Like

Hey thanks! I got some real eye-candy! It’s the Holy Grail of cannabis photography…or something like that :wink:

wow an amazing amber trichome with the purple vein going all the way up. I’m in love! What an excellent photo! :crazy_face:

9 Likes

ohhh shit, I think I should get out the phase contrast thingamajig. I’ll be right back!

ok I produced a couple images that are EDF from the phase contrast. You can never get a good detail out of a computer enhanced phase contrast image for some reason. You can get a decent one.

I chose to focus one one area at a time. If I were super motivated, I could use my image editing skills to join the two, but I wanted to see if the purple goes all the way up behind the trichome cap, which it does!

3 Likes

Holy shitballs! I’m going to take out the phase contrast today and start taking more trichome photos. Good thing this is a perpetual production I can wander in there at any time and take a photo, eventually I’ll have taken a photo of them during almost all of the development time. Glad to be putting that 45 degree shit behind me so I can focus on other interesting things!

2 Likes

big bud bloom day 43! That one trichome is huuuge! Almost 400 microns :wink:

2 Likes

ok here’s a trichome that has a larger cap than stalk. Silly thing. oops lol well uhh I guess I did a boo boo on the measurement.

2 Likes

A couple of the king tuts for comparison. The 10X objective one isn’t very good but you can really measure them!

2 Likes

The thing I find most amazing is the size of the cap of the trichome is so uniform even across different strains. I mean, it does vary a tiny bit even on the same plant, but only by 10s of micrometers.

3 Likes

Alright! We got more photos! People are definitely amazed at the data rolling in so far, he hheh!

The big bud trichomes on the bud leaves are infinitesimal! I also highlighted one that was a leaf trichome. Now I can tell from a microscopic image if that was a leaf or a bud…They look way different.
More images coming… getting the halogen warmed up :wink:

4 Likes

day 13! Meat breath!

ooo baby trichomes! I think I can get a closer look.

4 Likes

here we go…some dirty details! Looks like at this stage, some of the trichomes are already taller than the big bud. Crazy…eh? You can see down deep, like I can see where the trichomes are coming from. Some kind of tiny smaller structure that is very very small. You can see them expanding into a cap that is shiny and smooth from that wrinkled strange looking thing. Look at the core. Woah! fuck me.

5 Likes

well… I gotta say my pollen hunt came up dry. I know there are grains in there somewhere. But also… The male flowers are just… little. I know a male flower has a couple parts but this one has one?
I should have got a sample right away after they emerged. I’ll get another chance before long.

I don’t see anything looking like a pollen grain. I would imagine it looks similar to the geranium one. I wonder if there are some images I can find?

2 Likes

SEM images seem to show a pollen grain at 25 micrometers. So that rules out those spheres!

yo…WTF is that? desiccated pollen grains? They’re about the right size!

2 Likes

I think I need to get out another objective for the 'scope. We’ll definitely have to go deeper on this one. They are like grains of dust!

1 Like

ok I went insane with photos! Observe the insanity, I cranked it up to 40X objective and took a series of layers. It’s tricky to get a good computer enhancement without aberrations, so I skipped that.

4 Likes

ok whatever the fuck that is, they are a pile of objects that are very similar in appearance, so they must be the same thing. Some kind of pile of objects that came from a pollen sack. Logic says it should be pollen related eh?

2 Likes

These are day 17. The first one is a bud way down below the canopy in the dark, the second photo is an “initial” bud at the Y in the branch from high up the plant.

5 Likes