Cannabis microscopy

Well that was cool!
What was happening at the end? It liked a little like a phase change.

Cheers
G

1 Like

Hell, yah! It was a radical phase change, it startled me. I never knew it happened so quick, but the alcohol I had blooped on there from the syringe, just suddenly evaporated in the blink of an eye. I think though, if I lower the resolution and increase the number of fps the thing can capture, I can get a better look. The camera is high speed, but I’m not sure I know what I am doing there. The manual has nothing specific for high speed cameras. It’s generic instructions that work for all of them! What I think I should do is just start playing with it. The more experience I get should unlock it’s mysteries. I do believe… that if I change the resolution and perhaps more bitrate I could get more fps out of the thing.
Also! I have to get a concave slide kit for liquids. I was operating on the oldschool liquid capture, but now I’m modern. Get me some concave slides put some hash and alcohol in there and trap the liquid so it can’t evaporate. Then start the camera rolling… I was just using a flat slide open to the world, thus the phase change lol! I have to upgrade my kit. I’m so 1990s.

2 Likes

I think this new video is way better. I changed the resolution and increased the bitrate. Movie came out way smaller but also contains interesting details. I’m not sure the fps increased much. I should try a final one where I decreased the bitrate as well. Not a fan of that option lol!

4 Likes

You have outdone yourself with that one!!

I put it on loop for 5 min. just watching the action! Great Shit!!
Comes out at 7.5’ on the diagonal from my projector.

For the audio track, 1st thought was the Benny Hill theme music… :laughing: :+1:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

007 Style.

Man, you are crushing it!!

:star_struck::v::peace_symbol::v:

1 Like

With further experimentation the “isopropyl meets bubble” is the best video I can crank out. Barring any further discoveries I suppose. The actual capturing framerate seems like 5 fps at 45fps. Then I take it and re-encode using the nvidia pipeline to 23.9 fps with free as in beer avidemux, my favorite video editing program. The encoding takes mere seconds… due to the speed of the graphics card? I never had a graphics card that really crunched out the video frames, it’s a really nice upgrade. The slow part is fucking youtube, because I have to upload and the weather is shit, hah hah.
So my plan is to take a longer video, using more alcohol. Then wait for it to all evaporate. The hazy white only lasts for a while then it clears off. I’m just fascinated by all the things that happen, because you never see it except in a microscope. I’m tempted to use video editing to make it 1080p format.
Fuck me, I forgot I was a stupid audio visual nerd. Quintessential indeed.
Just imagine me hunched over the microscope with a hypodermic full of iso, slowly adding more drops as they evaporate, while the video capture rolls.

1 Like

lol I think the only thing you could put it to was some classical music to avoid copyright violation. Feel free to crack out the avidemux and add any audio also extend the video to loop as many times to fill the void.

1 Like

Classical huh…

OK, I got it… William Tell Overture… with a twist…

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=oCzd_UJVMRM&list=RDAMVMoCzd_UJVMRM

To do it justice you need to align the symbol bash at the 16 second mark with the introduction of the isopropyl… :call_me_hand:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I made this crazy video where I took a fresh bud leaf and dropped drop after drop of iso on there to replace it as it evaporated.I think I have what amounts to time lapse photography? 20 min of shit is compressed into 3 min or so. Here’s the final result… the iso gets some of the trichomes in that time, but not everything like a magic-man.
observe:

2 Likes

I get the feeling that’s where this thing excels. Making a time lapse over a long period so you can study changes. Next up! A Fascinating Journey into The Human Mind, featuring Paint Drying time lapse!!! ohh my.
Waiting…for it to upload.

2 Likes

I cranked out a 40x edf image manually to try and limit… artifacts.

It’s some of my best work :wink:

2 Likes

ok I cut off a bud from the vegging plants.

Looks like it’s almost harvest time lol! That’s a flower from the vegging plants of course it’s the big bud.

4 Likes

I bet those veg buds get you baked as fuck lol!

1 Like

I don’t think they look exactly like they do in bloom. Definitely going to have to image them fresh after they actually do go into bloom.

4 Likes

here it is dried out.

The green is still in the trichome at this point. interesting data.

3 Likes

I have a study in king tut as well!

100x and 40x objective. EDF of course!I only don’t use EDF if I need enhanced detail of a single spot. Overuse of computer enhancement leads to aberrations. heh ehh Just look at the big bud image above, those rays of light from the trichome are artifacts of computer enhancement.

3 Likes

Man, I love seeing your progress and the pics.

Absolutely love that you enjoy it so much.

Keep up the good work - keeping my eye out for the poster size print that imma need to have put on a canvas in my living room…

:star_struck::green_heart::v::peace_symbol::v:

4 Likes

I’ve got excellent news! Another outdoor bud to look at.I am curious if the buds outdoors all have some crud on them from dust or something. I only found a few specks of dust on this bud, nothing major. One area of interest!

Imaged both sides of the bud. Looking good! I do the areas of interest at 100x.

6 Likes

ok areas of interest next.

There isn’t much trichome weathering and the caps are shiny are reflective. No strange grunge or spiky growths. Not sure what that thing is on the side of the trichome, but it was only one thing, besides the dust speck.

3 Likes

oh nuts check out the color moving up the trichome here.

She’ll be happy with the 40x images of the bud, I’m sure. Nothing nasty there.

3 Likes