Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

To be honest I love the way the HPS makes Buds but I had one explode in my face and start a small fire , scared me good, Now I love LEDs and these new QB’s and strips seem to be the wave of the future.

7 Likes

well one thing with HPS is it creates a lot of radiant heat in comparison, whether absorbed by the air or on the leaf of the plants it can actually help with transpiration of the plant.

5 Likes

OK time to go smoke a fatty, night ladies and Gents Nice thread
Learned a bit , we have to talk more Mr Spark.
Sorry if I jumped in to fast , If you like I can delete the posts.

4 Likes

Mr. Sparkle - I am looking at these Bridgelux BXEB-L1120Z-50E4000-C-B3 for a project I have been tasked with (vegging brugmansias). What is your opinion of them?

2 Likes

no idea on what you need light wise for vegging brugmansias, but think of those strips as equivalent to 4ft 54w floro tubes , or about 15% less light than running two regular t8 4ft tubes if thats current whats being used but consider the bridgelux strip will be directional vs tubes that you need a reflector for…

6 Likes

No need for anything special, in that if they’ll grow weed, they’ll be fine for my need.

Any idea what the penetration is like with these? Good up to about 3’ height? As I’m growing in an open area, side lighting isn’t a practical option. Not impossible, but it’d take some doing.

1 Like

Dang good choice @ Bridglux EB2 n gotdang fine price!

Pen. depends on # of strips u got cross yer area. What size u lightin n wit how many strips? Shiney walls err open space? Brums luv sun n theys got open structure so aint gunna be hard. 8-12 strips per 4x4 u betcha n keeper hot!

3 Likes

I work for an electrical supplier and they’re one of our suppliers. Whatever we pay for them, I pay for them. Already know I can get great pricing on Meanwell drivers.

The floor space I have available is roughly 7’ x 9’ + . Essentially it’s an open space, with 3 sides covered by wall mounted shelving.

8 Likes

So guys… if lets say i want build my own and follow your guide? What more do i need ? I started looking thru everything but i need wire and some more stuff … can i find everything on digikey? Here my shoppingcart right now… can somebody maybe please help me complete it?

https://www.digikey.se/ordering/shoppingcart?lang=sv

Thank you all !!

3 Likes

@Swe-can

Not sure about other folks, but that just brought me to the Digi-Key site rather than a full shopping cart.

Maybe only you can see it, since I have a separate Digi-Key account.

2 Likes

yeah no shopping list here, they provide a link “cart share” which is typically on the right hand side of the cart page.

But yeah you can get wire there too if needed, but also most have some kicking around, whether old power cables that can be separated, or easily found at local stores

18-24 awg is the going gauge that is speced and obviously the bigger “smaller number” the better, i personally used 22 guage but cause i had that on hand and also running lower wattages

7 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle
I have converted the first and second post to wiki’s so that it may continually be edited. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

https://www.digikey.se/short/p0z807

Something like this @Mr.Sparkle @crazaer

3 Likes

yeah looks fine, id just go with a different potentiometer as you may find that one rather small, as looks to be a surface mount one almost.

https://www.digikey.se/product-detail/en/tt-electronics-bi/P160KN-0QC15B100K/987-1300-ND/2408877

edit: never mind there the same size… yeah go for it

3 Likes

No need to weld/solder on these? If you may… can you maybe put everything i need i that cart? Wire etc Only if you have time mr or if someone Else could do that ? I thankfull for everyones help and time :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle

One question tho!? Digikey is out of 1190mm and 560mm but still has the 280mm can i use them instead but dubbel the numbers up?

Thank you for your time mr

4 Likes

Yes but run in dual series parallels configuration as they are 350ma instead of 700ma, well depends on your driver but yes again they can be used as such

5 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle

That is like greece for me brother! :persevere…
XLG-200-L-AB ?
if i order the 560 or the 1190 i have to wait untill 11th january… dont want to wait so long…

3 Likes

with the XLG-200-l-ab you could just run 14 of the little ones in series, but run two chains of those in parallel “so 28 strips in total” to split up your base amperage from the xlg, essentially exactly what i did for my lights just double the amount as i have a 7x in series but 2 chains for each light i built…

2 Likes

Can you maybe " picture" it for me? Paint picture however you want so i can see it?

3 Likes