Closet Chronicles : Growing With Mr.Sparkle 2019

Yeah didn’t like it at all, my experience and especially with autos it the ball were treated like obstacles by the plant so starts were either really hard and or slow cause the plant had to work its root around the balls, using rockwool starter cubes helped with that, but i also had troubles trying to keep consistent moisture levels with in it especially with small pots, like if you have a deep bed and the top couple inches are used then it can be worked around, but when a couple inches is half the pot for me didn’t quite work.

As for the root binding on the other end of the spectrum, the issue i ran into was that the balls unlike coco do not move or cannot be compressed, so the roots when growing in the spaces between them once they filled those spaces then went through a dry and wet cycle or continued building on the roots would pack so tightly in between that they would actually choke themselves out and then ran it phytium issues because of that and lack of air. Like they were bricks.

5 Likes

Curious how often you watered the leca?

In my top feed drip setup I water 1 minute on, 14 minutes off. In my flood and drain setup I flood every 2 hours. Seems like it really needs to be watered frequently. I do use rockwool starter cubes though also… And I use a gallon of leca per plant. I’ve only done a couple using leca but I’m actually liking it ok. I’m growing autos from Mephisto, I’ve finished one in 1 gallon flood and drain, and one is about a month away in a 1 gallon TFR setup.

The main issue I’ve had with it is that the roots look for the drains and clog them up fast.

It is surprising how much more root can fit in the coco…

Also curious how small those pots were? 1 liter?

Thanks again for going through all the details of your grows. Very cool stuff you’ve done with those autos!

1 Like

Looks like i started at 8secs on 2.5hrs off but moved over to 6sec every 4 hrs

Depends on the pot

The Square pots that i most often use have around a 400ml fill level, the smaller Ikea kids cups im running seeds through have a 200ml fill level which really hampers the plants early on but also keeps them small, i did use some larger bowl style pots for a bit there that had around a 900ml fill level but realistically could only run one of those per side with how big the plants wanted to get, so if i wanted to go down that route again id just run probably old yogurt containers at around 750ml and 2 per side with how i like things now but im more interested in trying to keep the plants small and running a couple more right now than having them fight when running in bigger containers and higher counts of them.

5 Likes

Thanks for the link, I was digging through this thread multiple times trying to find the hydroton part! :slight_smile:

It’s funny, you and I actually commented in the thread of the guy I learned hydroton TFR from back in 2016!

https://www.autoflower.net/forums/threads/ksja-s-perpetual-micro-hydro.46810/post-1049947

I was running TFR in hydroton around that time and I still use my DMs with him as a guide. He had great results in 3L of hydroton. I did OK with it, but ended up trying a lot of other stuff and I’m just circling back to it now.

I think with hydroton you can get away with pots about 3L smallest. I did one run in 2.5L with sweet seeds fast version photo periods and that went OK.

It’s fun watching people experiment with different mediums for sure… Very impressed with what you can do with those tiny pots!

3 Likes

Alright new thread lets close this out, bring any discussion over if there is any :wink:

8 Likes

Wow i wasn’t sure if I should go with autos or periods in my small space(bigger than your closet lol) but after seeing these pics and the chamber, you’ve convinced me a dozen or so posts in. I can’t believe that you have such consistent results across different strains… speaking of which, where do you get your seed? I’m pretty new to all this… I’ve grown here and there but I don’t know shit about who has good seed.

1 Like

Fascinating thanks for this link @Mr.Sparkle

2 Likes

large plantations and with super greedy look