Community Selected Open Pollination F3s?

I searched a couple terms and didnt see anything too related to my inquiry, but its seems like something Overgrow probably has already accomplished:

Has the community ever done a concurrent run of F2s of a line where each participant selects one keeper female (and/or male) and then sends a cut to the dude doing the F3 seed run, which would kinda be a community “selected” open pollination if enough different plants are selected.

I think this would be pretty cool to see, especially if a very open genetic line was selected to start the F2 hunt with.

Do share

6 Likes

This was done with Gogi og. I forgot the title, but multiple people grew at the same time. Pollen was shared also

5 Likes

Thank you.

Are you referring to this one?

Very similar, I will read. Very cool idea to just share pollen instead having to have a sacrificial garden grower donating so much space.

4 Likes

That’s the one

3 Likes

And each of the 8 breeders did open pollination of all their surviving plants.

1 Like

I’ve thought about how nice it would be to do something like that. It’s a great way to avoid getting fined or worse for exceeding plant counts.

I get that. The Goji was 8 growers getting 10 seeds each. The volunteers all had to be willing either because their count was 10 or more or they never have followed counts :wink:

Very interesting idea.

:green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

There are people who exceed their plant counts? Unimaginable!

3 Likes

@rasterman - I can’t count anyways

@G-paS I was just sent a flip of your Urkle bx1, PM incoming, fyi.

I don’t think a group phenohunt like this needs many restrictions, maybe at least three flowered out females from each participant all from the same F2 run.

I think the group could help vote on the males to use, with only the most experienced breeders in the group dealing with the males. We could send pollen around so nobody is trading cuts.

Participants could return the F3 seeds to the groups distributor for what ever box they land in (I am new to the whole Co-op box thing, haven’t participated yet) and or donated to the correct charitable causes.

Somebody could take in enough F2 female cuts to do a reversal series of fem beans, too, if there is enough drive for that idea.

What is the F2 floating around our site that this breeding procedure be applyed to?

Gelato??? (Kidding)

2 Likes

I would definitely be “in.”

This should be a two stage process. Everybody grows out at least three females AND takes cuts. The flowers are sampled and each grower chooses only 1 plant to add to the group gene pool. That clone is then run a second time for seed using the groups pollen.

My vision is a group selected F3. Who knows if it will work better together or not, but I would like to find out!

1 Like