Free Open Source Seed Bank

Hey all!

I’ve been listening to a bunch of podcasts recently where breeders talk about how they work lines to create “tools” that will be more likely to pass along those traits to progeny. Like DJ shorts blueberry, or Bodhi’s red bleeding trait.

Well, one thing I’ve always admired is the concept of open source technology. If you aren’t familiar, it’s pretty much a bunch of people who post their work online for others to use for free, and build upon it, and post that, so it becomes a living tool for the software developer community. Awesome.

Well, the older I get, the more I realize that weed should be free. And you know what else? Kick ass tools for those who want to breed their own weed for their needs/wants should be free too. At least in seed form.

So here is what I propose. Let’s try for one trait. Let’s create a breeding tool and make it available to everyone for free. Put a bunch of seeds in a bunch of peoples hands to ensure it stays free. And if it works, let’s do it again. Until there is a library of traits that anyone can access for the price of postage or nothing at all.

We’ll need some people willing to donate seeds that display and hopefully pass on strong traits.

We’ll also need gardeners to do open pollinations with the donated seeds. Then we can dispense the seeds from the open pollination and do a community-wide pheno hunt.

At this point, I would propose selfing (maybe multiple times) the winners and hopefully we’ve had some of the pheno-hunters keep some real strong, resinous males so we can do an open pollination to get regular seeds again for the open source seed bank.

Obviously it would take a lot of generosity from the community, but I think we could do a lot of good.

Now, here’s where I hope I don’t lose you… because you’ll see that I mean this is reaaal generosity.

I propose (as my username alludes to) that we choose the ceilingless/you can smoke it every day and never loses its luster or potency trait.

A powerful and fucking valuable one. And here’s why:

• If we want an open source bank to take off and have quality building blocks for breeders to access, it needs to be able to generate interest. What’s more interesting than a line that could bring the ultimate potential into your garden?

-It would benefit the medical users the most. They need something that has sticking power. And they need it every day. And sometimes they need it for weeks on end.

-If we got the trait available, everyone would have the chance of making their favorite strain ceilingless so you can really explore where it takes you.

-It makes clean, good quality homegrown far more accessible to veterans and novices alike and puts the power of the seed in the hands of the people. Not the corporations who have the most money.

• Think of what future breeders will be able to do with an indexed seed stock of quality breeding tools. They will be able to adapt with humanity as our lifestyles, environmental, and living conditions change.

• Best of all, you can still sell your hard work for $500/pack if you are good at marketing or breeding or both. The value of art and quality breeding will never depreciate. People who don’t know what they’re doing won’t consistently churn out good results.

Anyway. I’m happy to help organize, but I understand if the community has a more established and trusted person interested in doing so. I’m brand fucking new.

I really only created a profile because I felt this idea should be thrown out there with the seed of hope it would become something great someday.

I’d love to know everyone’s thoughts and if you’d be interested in donating/growing/both/etc…

-Ceilingless

17 Likes

This sounds like something @Sebring and the #freakers are already doing, same same but Different

9 Likes

I believe in that too…
Take a look at what’s been done around here.
It has landrace preservation, it has seed races, the freakers…

Would you like to preserve any specific variety? or would it be in general?

Your idea fits in the OG profile, for the long text, you have a lot of desire too. Just get the details right…

hug

9 Likes

I get it. And it’s admirable. But this entire site is built on that concept, kinda. Search any strain that has traits you desire and I’m almost positive you will find someone here who F2d it, selfed it, reversed it, etc. I’d say post a few pics, interact with this community a bit more and let synchronicity do it’s thing.
Welcome to Overgrow! Stay a while, I like your style. :sunglasses::green_heart:

14 Likes

Very interesting for sure. Definitely something to think about. I don’t know if I trust giving out bulk seeds to someone to preserve for future grows and years to come. It’s a great idea, but needs a little work. If you get something worked out I can donate some great genetics this fall…

6 Likes

I’ve been active in a few other plant breeding forums and have always hoped to see something like this come about.

As others have eluded to, there would likely be some upkeep costs and concentrated risk for the entity that is maintaining and shipping seeds. I know the International Carnivorous Plant Society has a seed bank that functions similarly but it is primarily funded by membership access to the seed bank. Add on the additional issue of legality and international shipping and I can see it getting complicated very quickly.

In a similar vein, one of the pet projects that I have been working on (and need to get back to) is a breeding database that would allow users to track lineages down to seed lots and individual seeds/clones. Every time I dig back into it, by the time I reteach myself Access and SQL, usually something comes up and it ends up on the back burner again.

A seed bank with proper pedigree tracking would definitely be a powerful tool for the preservation and breeding community.

4 Likes

@Swe-can Definitely same-same but different. I checked out the site! Love what’s happening there! Something along those lines but less “strain” focused and more “what happens when I chuck a little pollen”

@Gugumelo - I’m not thinking so much “strain” preservation. Rather… this “line” of seeds throw all kinds of colors of purple. Or this line all make the next generations of buds fat and chunky when crossed into your line(but it’s got several lines like big bud, deep chunk, etc mixed in.) or a line that has various levels of sedative qualities or racy qualities or cbd or cbg etc…
You still have to hunt for what you want, but you know you’ll find valuable tools in there.

@corey i don’t trust one person either. That’s why we decentralize as quickly as possible. Incentive for participants is access to all the cool shit you’d ever want. We’d have free-loaders (unavoidable) but if the SeedBank is decentralized it’s much safer and would allow responsible stewards to build a good reputation in the community. (Obviously the details of how to do this would need to be worked out, but it wouldn’t be too hard. Just equal dispersions whenever possible.)
If you don’t mind sharing a bit about what you’d potentially like to donate, I think it may help drive the conversation to see who thinks it’s a worthwhile endeavor.

@BlackGoldNGreen I think it could be really complicated and get weeded down with details quickly. I was hoping to rely more on the good old fashioned “underground” mentality that has served the community so far. If private people are participating out of the goodness of their heart, I think a lot of the BS and slowness of a legal entity/organization can be avoided.
It takes a lot of trust in one another, but from what I can tell, that’s what the whole damn community has been built on for years!

5 Likes

The fundamental issue here is trust. If someone isn’t making money from being an open source seed bank, then they’re much more tempted to rip and run with the seeds. People are less willing to give seeds to such a central bank when they’ve been burnt by scammers in the community in the past.

The community has lots of trust but it’s based on reputation and often mutual exchanges. You’re suggesting a setup that would function based on many one-sided exchanges central to one party unfortunately and that’s difficult to develop the trust for.

3 Likes

I agree. As far as ripping and running… I figure if it started with some people that already had mutual trust established. I’m sure there is someone who would be willing to act as an intermediary and accept some risk for a small fee if there was no other way to gain trust. Make a bunch of seeds and then let the rules of large numbers help us out.

You could still follow all the same precautions that are taken now. New people are trusted somehow right? Maybe you gotta give to be accepted in.

That’s the beauty of keeping it unofficial, decentralized, and unregulated. It requires trust. But isn’t that how cannabis has won the war on drugs in the first place?

Eventually it will probably be a lot less regulated and the risks will be lower. But until then, everyone could assume whatever level of risk they were comfortable with

That’s part of the beauty of this: full autonomy. If you don’t trust someone new, that’s your call. And if enough people participate, everyone could find a connection within the network where they fit

2 Likes

I need more time to think about this… You need more input from the community. I totally agree with @leetdood. I think you should run this by @LemonadeJoe and see what he says. I think there would have to be some sort of new forum for this in the seed section or built into the software… I also think if something like this is going to happen there should be all strains available. New, old, in the making… people would need to be credited too. I’m just gonna take a back seat for now and see what others have have to say. Again this stuff takes time and needs to be well thought out… it’s sounds like a pretty good idea to me… Good luck with this sir! I hope you find a reasonable solution to this. If it works out pm me for crosses…

4 Likes

Ehh i think your going to find it quite impossible to make a “Open source” seed bank good luck though for it to truly be “open source” you would have to put the whole operation in a bad spot where 1 person can ruin it all.

3 Likes

Why not just join the freakers group effort. There is a hybrid section. This would make more sense to me . You could obtain and strain you want to work with do a seed run then you have the genetics you want to use to make a hybrid or crossing . To me this would be killing two birds with one stone .

3 Likes

Another challenge is shipping through international borders. I live in the US and at least 50% of the seeds I’ve purchased from outside the US have been seized.

3 Likes

Damn, really? By US customs?

If they ship in standard mail in coin flips and hose washers they always get through. Just make sure under an ounce.

1 Like

They sorta did something similar with corn. Corn, Astronomy Domine Sweet (Organic) – Giving Ground Seeds

Look for polyhybrids and smash them together, then pass seeds/pollen and repeat. Put some weird stuff in there. Maybe it would make a bunch of trash. Hard to say. If you want to steer it in any certain way, you need to pick something easily identifiable. I don’t think most people will want to hold clones while doing smoke reports and all that. I’d keep it easy. Shoot for purple, or skinny leaves, or fast finishing.

I got some ogXgelatoXtangieXnewberry seeds and sprouts. I’m also thinking about getting devil cream auto from sweetseeds which is a poly. So I could mix 8 pretty easily. If someone else does the same and we mix them, what happens? Probably a big stinking pile… but ya never know.

1 Like

@corey definitey agree. Use of the forum or some free wiki would be key in tracking what everyone was doing.

@Neb ok, so it’s not exactly open source, but a mash up of that and some decentralization sprinkled in.

@PineTarBastard do you think that they would have been seized less coming from private people rather than SeedBanks that are known by Customs agents?

@RandomHumanoid Yeah! Exactly! That’s cool, I didn’t realize they did that with corn.
Yeah, there will probably be a fair amount of crap that comes out, but there could be some cool combos too!

@Donnie maybe that is the route to go! No problem with joining something that already has some steam. I just had a little bit different end goal in mind, but no reason they couldn’t work hand in hand!

@Ceilingless i do not see how they couldn’t go hand and hand . Because the seeds are held by the person who provided them for the list . Like my preservation run was with arakku valley , my seeds came from our member upstate since he is who provided the seeds . So all the seeds are not held by just one person. When you do a seed run x amount goes to each freakers member who completes their agreed preservation run , either 1 long flowering sativa or 2 short flowering indices. I believe that’s how the rules are set up . You can search the freakers ball seed collective to see the rules exactly how they are said in case I worded it wrong .

3 Likes

I’ll definitely give the rules a look! Thanks @Donnie

1 Like

You could probably hit up @Guitarzan also