Constant current coloidal silver generator

Hi everyone, happy holidays.
Today I’m going to share with you a Coloidal Silver Generator schematic that I’m working on.
It is designed to work giving constant current to the electrodes. That current is about 1,2 mA.
I choosed that because after many readings, I came to the conviction that the lower current gives better coloidal silver, correct me if I’m wrong.
Also it changes electrodes polarity about 50 seconds, to try to avoid the “clusterings” in the electrodes.
Any improvements or corrections are welcomed, althought I have not many time and I’m not and expert on electronics… but I will try to do my best.
For now I didn’t make a PCB design for it, it is in development stage.

It is working on the Proteus simulations, but I’m currently mounting the breadboard to try.

Hope it is useful for any of you. And sorry if this is not the correct thread for it.

GENERADOR PLATA COLOIDAL_0.1.PDF (22.0 KB)

PD: Excuse my writing mistakes, I’m spanish.

Edit: When at computer, I’ll try to upload the papers in what I based to choose that current value.(It they are not rights protected) so the people that are interested could have their own conclusions.
Also will update with a table of R1 and R3 substitution values for other mA settings.
NOTE: Distance between electrodes should be > 2 cm. Around an inch should be ok.

12 Likes

I love the generator, i was looking into Cs recently i thought i was going to have to rig up something, i know roughly what required but lacked any details on voltage etc, i don’t mind rolling up my sleeves and diving in with basic knowledge, however i found i can get a sufficient amount of 99.9 pure silver for £6.
I think it’s 3g but not 100% certain about the amount?

3 Likes

Hi, I don’t know the exact amount of silver needed. I buyed a small flat wire of about 8mmx1mmx50cm 99,99 and I will measure the PPM after some hours. Mine cost me some more plus shipping.
My electrodes are about 10 cm each.
I’ve read that the reading of the PPM meter should be adjusted multiplying by 1,5 (not sure of this amount, have to check the documents). And the final PPM should be between around 30.

4 Likes

An LM334 will give you much better control than my old lab supply… :laughing:
I think you are correct, the current seems to affect the particle size.

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Well, I choose that for the stability with temperature variations, and not expensive.

2 Likes

From what I’ve read around 30volts and under 1amp is the current to aim for regarding best colloid size, alternating electrode polarity and solution agitation during the process is also a bonus so your designs right on the money @Piter

3 Likes

Only need to overcome the voltage needed to send an electron off into the water, I have used under 1.5V. Also 1A is way too high if you want fine particle size.

2 Likes

I haven’t checked your resistor values but it looks good! Maybe you could add a trim pot so you could adjust the current in order to try different settings?

2 Likes

Yes 1A is too high, it is regulated to 1,2mA.
With the voltage, I read many papers, and it is not very relevant for the particle size (perhaps I’m wrong). And yes 1,5V must suffice, but finally choose the 12V because I think almost everybody has a 12VDC adapter AND is the relay needed power.
Anyway… I will put a table with equivalent resistor to other voltages and mA settings.

I’m using a magnetic stirrer for removing the media.

1 Like

1 Amp is way too high, it creates bigger particles and more clumps on the electrodes. At least that is my conclussions after reading some professional papers and drafts, I have no way to check the particle sizes, so I think I must believe professional physics/chemists.
Anyway, I saw some papers that work with 300V and 0,5 A… but well, I thought that for home use, that was not secure.

1 Like

Interesting. I don’t know anything about colloidal silver, but I like the design. I had never seen the LM334, nor was I aware the 555 has a high-current output drive capability. Learned some new things today, thank you!

1 Like

Hi, there you have a good quote.
If I’m correct the NE555 can source 100mA from the output pin, and can sink 200mA.
The relay I’m using is HK19F-DC12V, and it sinks between 0,012 A and 0,037 A if my calculus are correct (I’m human, error prone)
If I’m correct, it should work. Next week I’ll tell you for sure, by now only work on Proteus simulations.
If not, anyway it is only a resistor and transistor away (and a burned 555 :sweat_smile:)…

2 Likes

I really like the diode in the 334 circuit to remove the temperature coefficient. Recently designed some linearized sensor front ends using a similar trick.

The 555 should be fine, totally agree with you. I was just unaware it had such a robust output stage.:muscle:

I guess most of my work has been based on microprocessor and really specialized precision analog stuff. So I’m just not familiar with some of these more ubiquitous, older ICs. Love adding some tools to my proverbial toolbox :sunglasses: Thank you!

2 Likes

can you use silver pieces for the electrodes or does it need to be wires? i have lots of 90% silver change and some 99.9% silver pieces but no wire, unless silver solder is pure, but i doubt it is.

1 Like

For the electrodes could be anything silver 99.9 (coins, wires…)
If you use aligator clips to hold them (by example), make sure that the only think submerged is the silver.

HG!

2 Likes

If anyone is looking for a source for 99.99% silver, the cheapest source I’ve found is the Canadian mint… :crazy_face:

There are several coins to select from but $59.95CAD per 15.87gm is the best I could find.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

I had this a little abandoned. It works, BUT:

1. I read STS is more effective with less treatments, and damage the plant less.
  2. I find a supply of Silver nitrate and 5 grams could serve for many years.
  3. With the STS I can know the molarity or concentration of the solution and adjust it if needed.
  4. I still use this circuit, but without the relay and NE555 stage, for not switching electrodes. I use for some experiments with electrolisis.

If you not have STS available, this works anyway.

1 Like