Cooler hydro build

Strangely, I went over the outside and inside pretty carefully and can’t turn up a model number, or even a model. Just “Igloo” stamped in a couple of places on the sides and bottom.

I did get this response from Igloo:

The exterior body of most Igloo hard-side coolers is made of high-density polyethylene, while the interior liner is made of FDA-grade polypropylene. The insulation is made of Ultratherm™ - a proprietary blend of polyurethane foam.

So it looks like the search is on for an effective polyprop adhesive. Chime in with your favorite.

throwing the drill in reverse to cut the holes also helps with a clean cut. Not sure its so great for the hole saw though

2 Likes

When thinking low surface energy materials, think teflon. Stuff just doesn’t like to stick to it. Low surface energy material are difficult materials to bond in a reliable fashion.

Take a look at the following for products that are likely to be available via the big box stores or ACE hardware:

Though, I do question how well such consumer grade product works long term. I’ve used some of those for a whole variety of situations but try to avoid them for bonds that are ‘critical’ where a failure could cause other more significant problems. The better stuff is classed as engineering adhesives. For instance,

3M Scotch-Weld Low Surface Energy (LSE) Plastic Bonding Adhesives

These work for pp and pe and are designed specifically for such materials.

4 Likes

I’m going with “J-B Weld 50133 Plastic Bonder Structural Adhesive”. Alleged to work on both HDPE and Polyprop and waterproof.

5 Likes