Cover Crop Cover Up Undercover

https://www.sciencelearn.org.nz/resources/966-the-role-of-clover yes indeed here was the article for anyone interested grow on brothers

2 Likes

Thanks for the article @cannabliss a good read, on a side note from Information Iā€™v gathered at other sources when bacteria are on leaf surfaces (phylosphere) such as in applications of compost teas and such bacteria can provide Nitrogen through leaf surfaces as well!

3 Likes

Some good info here thanks, I am looking for some comfrey as soon as itā€™s spring, its supposed to provide a very good balance of nutrients.

2 Likes

I am considering this oneā€¦ what do you all think?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/evolved-harvest-clover-crush?cm_vc=-10005

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Is all clover perennial? If so, none of us will ever get rid of it

2 Likes

Hmm, I assume it attracts stoner deer?

4 Likes

I think itā€™s climate dependent but dunno for sure; Most of the stuff Iā€™ve seen grows back after dying off so Iā€™m inclined to say YES.

:laughing: No kiddingā€¦ all they need is a grow light & some nutirient PK booster to match their ā€˜tribal tatoo artā€™ & agro-testosteroney image. Some advertising clown from Maximum Yield working on the side! :joy:

3 Likes

@cannabissequoia

Dude I used to use that for feed plot for deer. It is unbelievable!

as to being perennial, it is. Even with deer munching on it (and also a goat) and snow and ice, it would come back every year. I would supplement it, but for this use, it should be forever.

2 Likes

:smile: Excellent news.

I may try some out this year but Iā€™m mostly OCDā€™ing about weed-eradication (the bad kind) until I have a clean slate to work with.

Thanks for the info-- first hand always the best!

1 Like

I canā€™t remember the name, but there was a product I used, for my vegetable area, a few years ago that worked great. You spray it on and within a week everything was gone. It states you can grow in two weeks from application, though I gave it an extra week. I found no ill effect on the garden. I canā€™t remember whether it is ā€œorganicā€ or not, but I will see if I still have the bottle around and let you know.

2 Likes

heheh.

that sounds like chevron :skull_crossbones: death spray. my dad used to have plenty of old school ortho malathion & other shit for me to find as a kid.

1 Like

Actually, it wasnā€™t, as far as I remember. I always hated those because you had to wait so long, like 6-8 weeks before you could plant there or it would kill off what you were trying to grow. I am planning a trip into the hell hole that is the garage tomorrow (have to find a safety line long enough to find my way outā€¦ :fearful:) I will take a look. If it is anywhere, it will be there.

3 Likes

Have you tried mulching. Iā€™ve used cardboard as mulch then put something to hold it down if you dont have wood chips to put over it. It kills the weeds and I think the critters like the cardboard.

1 Like

Yep. Doesnā€™t faze nutsedge or bermuda grassā€¦some others too.

And Iā€™m up against 8000 sq ft. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Fucken Bermuda grass! Thatā€™s all Iā€™ve got to say bout that :rage::tired_face:

4 Likes

@Meesh I take it you planted some in your garden and your car disappeared :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

If you want to kill everything and use no chemicals just cover it with black plastic for a few months and let it bake.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve read glass is ideal but who has the $ for that? :wink:

Clear will ā€œsolarizeā€ā€¦temporarily greenhousing, then cookingā€¦black plastic lasts longer & 2 weeks is the minimum time to kill stuff.

:v:

4 Likes

Iv read a bit on the subject thought Iā€™d share my thoughts clear thick plastic I hear is what is needing soaking the area with water and sealing the edges tight to the ground basically steaming everything and killing it , if the sun strike on the plastic is good iv heard that you can get a kill on roots and weeds seed down to about 6ā€ deep!

5 Likes

Friendly reminder that you only have to get cover crop seeds once.
You can chop & drop half of it and let the other half go to seed. :smiley:

3 Likes