Creating True Breeding Strains By Vic High

I’ve been down that rabbit hole :wink:

So there’s no official lineage… old heads seem to agree* it could be
Cali Orange = Thai x [Afghani x Acapulco Gold]”
Or
“thai x early girl [Afghani x Mexican Sativa]”

The 2 persons to know for sure would be Sam skuntman and the guy that bred it.
All Sam could answer when questioned about calio lineage is “I know who bred it and what’s in it” without any info…

Someone else hypothesized early girl x thai, the thai being the mother of some other legend from that era. (Bshw?) Tying many lines to very few starting material :ok_hand:

9 Likes

Seems like a neat plant. Power Plant seems very similar.

1 Like

Have you ever tried Acapulco Gold types?

3 Likes

Never grew AG, or anything longer flowering than sativa leaning hybrids for that matter…
This coming spring I’ll start something out of my comfort zone :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Nice info. Didn’t know this before. I’ve grown a couple of hundred Cali-o plants through the years. It’s a very good medical plant for novice patients. What been on my mind is that the satellite bud look just like Skunk #1 satellite buds, so I’ve always thought that they share some common ancestry. Which your answer implying. Thank you :pray:t2:

Pz :v:t2:

5 Likes

Here’s an AG grow log and some taste tests…

5 Likes

Reread the question, I think you meant AG types from calio?

So the only orange line I’ve grown is my 93 line, which I don’t know the origins of… it came to me as “orange”.

I do find 3 main phenos, the median one could be Mexican I guess, but I’d need expert eyes to confirm :+1:

5 Likes

Looking at everything. Power Plant has same structure as the California Orange it has the very sativa looking branches but also blasted the mix with Ammonium Nitrate even in flower and will see what it does. I just wasn’t sure what the AG looked like by itself and it is a very NLD that @GrouchyOldMan left link to. Just wondering if some South African genetics are in PP and Cali Orange?

Tom H said looking for large sized Resin heads and how they range from say 70 microns up to say 120 microns. What constitutes a large resin head > 100 µm? Say you are lookin for something bigger, depending on size this can greatly effect the % of THC since different head sizes can effect the maximal packing of the resin heads on flower and if start getting larger resin heads the loss of space between heads might cause the total resin % to go down so…

Looking at the number and size of the pistils and each plant is still different so… I need to read RC Clarke some more since section touches on the inheritance of bud structure color.

6 Likes

Ohh, a good Pure Power Plant got some real kick to it. Have seen quite a few people go under after taking a good bong hit from it.
Now when you mentioned it, the same type of high is in both plants. But Cali-o is less potent and got that cbd mellow body feel to it.

2 Likes

I believe that PP could be a really good smoke and the structure of the PP carries the longer Equatorial frame and has large stem size. The bract to leaf ratio is very good. I have a really large one that is in flower and have no idea how it is going to do but looks interesting.

Just wondering how the resin head size is inherited and how it can be crossed in to the breeding program. Not sure how you could measure these things so that makes for another solution to figure out!

3 Likes

How rare is it?

3 Likes

How rare is what @LonelyOC ?

2 Likes

The pheno with large resin size? :grimacing:

2 Likes

Well good question? Bb x Bb ?

2 Likes

If you don’t know. You can try to bx a plant with the feature you like and see in which rate to pops up. This will help you to determine what drives this expression :pray:t2:

After you found out you can build breeding schematics to introduce this trait into any cross.

2 Likes

Yes and you crack me up :nerd_face:!

2 Likes

Sounds like Strayfox gardenz, Cali-O Black
(Cali-O Aeric 77 cut x Afghani Black Skunk)

1 Like

@LonelyOC Had a question that you might know or not know but thought I would throw this out. Chiasma, they say that it happens at least once for each chromosome. My question is, during meiosis prophase 1 the non-sister chromatids cross over and that is where variation is created. My question is since this occurs readily between the maternal and paternal crosses; does self-fertilization(selfing) diminish cross-over some since they would be sister chromatids?

3 Likes

No, chiasma can occur when the female produces females aswell. It wont be as severe mutations though since they are more aligned.

3 Likes

Although the majority of higher plants show inbreeding depression of greater or lesser degree, there are some species in which inbreeding can be carried on indefinitely with seeming impunity. The self- pollinating species obviously fall in this category, but so also do a number of the normally cross-fertilizing species of plants. The cucur¬ bits, although monoecious and cross-pollinated, have already been mentioned as an example of a group of species in which certain lines appear to lose little vigor on inbreeding. Hemp, a dioecious species, is another example.

2 Likes