Curing in jars

Hey guys so i notice when i dry my buds for about 7 days I put them in jars about after 2 to 3 weeks I notice the smell isnt as strong is this normal? I keep them in glass jars humidity always 60 to 65

2 Likes

I usually hang dry for 14 days before jarring but I do find the smell changes and is probably less after a while in the jars .

4 Likes
6 Likes

what temprature are you maintaining? Over 70f terps start to deteriorate

2 Likes

Drying in 7 days could be one problem. If you could reduce your temps and stretch that to 14 days it may help preserve some terpenes.

In glass jars, anything over 62% is risking Mold. So be careful with that.

Also make sure you burp your jars frequently during the curing process.

I normally dry between 10-14 days. Are you by chance using a hovers pack? Possibly if you dried too quick, it could have possibly lost some terps and could possibly be the cause of weaker smell. I’ve noticed my buds smell better after about 3-4 weeks in the jar and only gets better from there

1 Like

Some of the strains I run can do that. However I find, some lose the nose but gain in better taste as the oils and what not mingle.

2 Likes

if it dries too far in too short a time it will lose that nose. And the cure is not as good. It cannot be over dried when you jar it up or it will not recover and can taste like hay You want just a bit of moisture internally to spread to the rest of the flower and even out…

Properly jarred it will spread the internal moisture to the rest of the bud in the jar without sweating and causing you to burp it often. You will only need to burp a day or two when it is caught just right.

The slower it gets to 62 % RH the better as long as it doesn’t sweat or get exposed to mold spores.

1 Like