Burping & curing

So I’m a little bit confused on the true purpose of burping. Is it just to get humidity down to a certain level or is it to off gas bacterial activity happening when the jars closed?

And then, how does one know when to stop burping the jars and let it sit untouched?

I have a couple of jars that are reading 55% (the buds are still spongey though?) and don’t really want to burp them anymore. Been burping for about a week now.

4 Likes

Yes, burping is to drop humidity in the jar and 55% is low enough to stop.

Cheers
G

4 Likes

I like to burp for 3-4 weeks in my experience then I have some partially cured cannabis by week 4. And then i start the true cure
. More often the first 2 weeks. Twice a day for first week vigilantly. Once every couple days maybe then after.

Just my method . Might be pointless

Also my question - is it best to make sure the jars are semi filled + maybe a "-2 from the top?

Not too full or not too low?

To have the least amount oxygen in there ?

Also .
Should you rotate the buds? I usually give them a little tumble. I guess not good to break off the thrichs

Lol well I guess my excess burping is over kill.

I just love the smell of the room when I burp / leave jars oepn for 5-10 min lol

3 Likes

To Burp or Not > Summer Crop 40° style >

Small buds crop under 13h plus of daylight >>> 23° S OG > ]Dudi100 is my other Cannabis Network Avatar…

5 Likes

Hmmmm

Throw it on a baggy with a mini hygrometer and the RH
Might.need to break it up to get accurate.

After I hang dry for 1.5-2wks. then I trim but not as much as most growers do…I try and not to manhandle my buds before I put them in jars…then I take the lid off for 24hrs. then and put the lid back on for 2 days. After 2 days I take the lid off for another 24 hrs. then I put the lids back on for another 2 days…I repeat this process for 2+ wks. until I get the desired results…
I have a life and don’t have time to burp 2 cases of jars twice a day folks…oh yeah, I don’t use meters either…I’ve been doing this for 20+ years.

14 Likes

The paper bag method removes the need for burping too often.

4 Likes

Will still occasionally cut and hang to dry and dry trim, but prefer to trim wet and basket dry.

Once the fattest buds are dry to the touch, and just a little “springy” - transfer to 32-oz wide mouth masons. (3/4 max full)

Then 24-hours sealed and opened for 2-4hours.

-each day afterwards, burp 15-30 minutes. Rinse and repeat for a week.

Then every other day for 5-10 minutes for a week.

After that it’s periodic quick air exchange once or twice a week (open and close) for about 3-weeks then it’s darkness in temp controlled storage w/ boveda 62% until needed.

paper bag method - It’s true and it’s easy.

1 Like

just shake the bag now and then :slightly_smiling_face:
evenly drying buds

1 Like

First week - Burp jars twice a day. Second week - Burp jars once a day. Third week - Burp jars every other day. Last week - Burp jars twice a week. Putting a date on each jar is a huge help in determining which week is which. And yes burping not only helps slowly bring your humidity down but also exchanges the stale air with fresh air to help prevent mold, mildew, etc. along with shaking the jar when burping and not filling it up more then 4/5ths of the way to the top. Hope this helps!

1 Like

Burping is a pain in the ass and I don’t do it.

If your buds are at the proper humidity there is no need to burp.

I don’t think you should put them on jars too wet to require burping in the first place.

All the best.

3 Likes

Your humidity shouldn’t really rise too much beyond an acceptable level, otherwise your product is too wet to cure.

When burping it more for air exchange, read up on aerobic and anaerobic conditions. Usually more related to fresh bud.

Personally I air out at least once a day the first week, then once a week for the next 3 weeks. Then leave them shut long term. Sometimes more of less depending on how I feel, but that’s the jist of it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will open them to take a sniff to see how they are developing but that’s about it.

2 Likes

Boveda appears to be claiming that below 55 rh is not good for curing. So should I just stop burping those jars that are at 55? They’ve been in jars for over 10 days at this point. Removed from jars for a few hours in the first day or so since humidity was like 70%and burped daily for at least a week.

Yes.

55 is on the low side but acceptable.

At least two times a day, so no need for burping :grinning:

1 Like

We probably all started off doing this.
Like others, I’ve been doing this a long time. I let mine hang dry to the touch, not really dry, not really wet.
Into a wide mouth jar (for me) it goes.
It goes on the shelf, I’ll finger the buds, once a day or 2 for dryness to the touch, again not really dry. Moist if you will.
I NEVER want bone dry buds, until they are being prepared to smoke.
I pull tomorrows buds out today, for perfection tomorrow.
I can pull moist buds from a mason jar or seal a meal pouch, and they are moist and delicious, will all the oils and terps, super tasty and delicious, even a year later.
So many ways and as long as you do not see mold, or dust, your golden.

3 Likes