Favorite way to store buds

So after the harvest and cure and your pulling buds out of your mason jars and you get close to the bottom what do you do? Do you transfer to a smaller container to just leave them int he jar to soak up all the air.

3 Likes

Hi @Agnam, I noticed you normally store buds in one quarter jars, but recently I discovered some mold in one bud (five months after storing it, perhaps forgot to burp it more often), so now I’m thinking in storing them in half liter jars, that way I think I would avoid better this problem and wouldn’t have yours. Don’t know if that would be good for you , here it’s very humid … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ya I just use the same jar, I think the amount of air exchange is negligible.

1 Like

Check out this thread my man

1 Like

@beacher Hummmmmm, if you live near the sea (apparently :smile:) as I do, you will have a lot of humidity, and a big humid air column in the jar against few buds has more vapor (that can condensate) than just some air with many buds, not really sure if it works that way but sounds logical. I want to use smaller jars because if one bud has mold and I don’t discover it soon it can contaminate the rest of the buds, the fewer the better …

3 Likes

@George definitely didn’t burp enough, and possible not even dry enough for jars yet

2 Likes

I’m afraid you’re right, after all those months I thought it was cured and ready and was negligent, no prob with the rest of jars so think it was dried enough, thanks for the link …

2 Likes

I use big half litre jars. Never lasts long enough to mould for me :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s true. It’s humid where I am too. Definitely need to burp the jars occasionally, and exchange the air in them when you do, I just wave it around with my hand.

I just only open the jars when humidity is low, or bring them into an air-conditioned room to do it. As long as the air going into the jars is at roughly 60% or less, the moisture in the jar can only go down.

Always seems to work for me!

2 Likes

I also shake them as maracas before opening them, that also helps … :smile:

1 Like

Do any of you draw the air out of the jars before you seal them up?? I bought a little pump like rig. With these tiny 1 way bandaid, poke a tack hole in tbe mason jar lid. Put bandaid on. Place pump over bandaid, give a few pumps. Wallllllla done suck the air right out of the jar. Ill have to look and see the name of it. (Used to see them advertised on those late night commercials) you can have this lil handy dandy weed jar pump , for this one time offer of 19.99 lol

4 Likes

Ya I do that too lol. The sound of the maracas can be a good indicator as to dryness

I got one of those pumps to keep salad fresh and it sucked (sucked …get it?). I’m pretty basic about it, put low humidity air into the jar and close it. At that point its like its own mini environment

1 Like

You can do that as long as those buds are finally cured, I think oxygen is necessary for that process … :sunglasses:

1 Like

Used to keep my buds in jars. Then got a bunch of C-vaults with Boveda packs which didn’t really do it for me. They leak smell and for the price I paid for em, I’d never recommend them to anyone. The Bovedas work great for most of the weed I was smoking but I noticed that some gassy strains lost the gas smell after being in with the 62 packs and didn’t without them. Currently using my smell leaking c vaults with no packs and a hygrometer to keep an eye on things. One thing I do like about them is being able to take a handful of weed without almost getting your hand stuck in a jar because they’re so wide.

3 Likes

Here’s my personal dry/cure/jar scenario:

1. At harvest, hang plants whole.
  2. Use humi and de-humi to keep environment as close to 62F/62RH as possible.
  3. Let them hang MINIMUM 14 days before touching.
  4. Check at two weeks if they’re dry (should be).
  5. Trim ALL fan leaf and bare sugar leaf off…leave the good sugar leaf on buds (aka a “rough trim”)
  6. Jar. No need to burp b/c of 2-week dry,t he cure is already started.
  7. Take a bud out of the jar and trim as needed before smoking.

I find the extra sugar leaf preserves and locks in the right amount of moisture and flavor, protects the resin, and does a WAY better job keeping RH stable than any Boveda or fresh pack or whatever you wanna throw in. Any time you put ANYTHING inside the jar that isn’t weed, it’s gonna affect the taste and smell, JMO though these companies may dispute those findings.

-Bury

8 Likes

Hi there! I understand & have heard the theory of Boveda removing smell from buds. Boveda does indeed stop your bud from exuding scent. But once we understand what “exuding scent” indicates, we’re sometimes a bit less worried.

When you smell the terps from your Cannabis flower, you’re smelling degradation. Different compounds are stabilized at different relative humidity levels. With Cannabis that level is 58% to 62% RH. When kept here, the terps, resins, oils, & cannabinoids don’t evaporate anymore so you don’t smell them.

So you are correct that the smell stops but where does the smell go? Deeper inside the bud & you’ll smell it upon the grind. Here’s an article speaking further to this from Boveda that includes two different lab tests showing no terps inside the Boveda contents after storage with Cannabis. The wee holes only allow water vapor in and water vapor out. https://bovedainc.com/terpenes-safe-boveda/

Regarding the cvault being easier to grab your nugs, I totally agree! no more getting my hands stuck in the cookie jar! I wonder if the smell leak is something they might be interested in hearing and thus rectifying for you?

1 Like

After 4 years of using the Boveda packs and stopping, this is not my experience at all. I own every size of c vault and have kept countless strains in them with the large humidity packs. I have mentioned somewhere else that the majority of strains are fine but gassy chemmy smells seem to sometimes have notes disappear. I don’t mean that the bud temporarily stops volatilizing the smell, I mean it’s completely gone. Grinding, leaving it out to dry more or squeezing the nug wouldn’t bring it back. Since I stopped using the packs I have never experienced this again and it has been over a year.

My guess is some terpenes may be water soluble. That Boveda page doesn’t really have me convinced based on my personal experience with them. Multiple times I have put very strong smelling buds in and have the gas/acetone/chemmy type smells disappear after some time, and the exact same buds stored without kept it. It was only with those types of smells too.

I tried emailing c-vault for over a year when I was working overtime. They said they can’t do it over email even though I was working every day and by the time I was home they weren’t available. After 5-6 emails over a pretty long period of time I gave up. I’m not going to beg them. Just won’t purchase anymore or recommend them to people. They said it wasn’t a common problem at all which I do believe, but they could have done more to make sure I was happy considering what they cost. Tried bending the latches, taking out and cleaning the o rings, cleaning the whole jars top to bottom with iso, nothing helped. I still sometimes I get annoyed when I walk near one and smell dank.

4 Likes

boveda is only worth using for looong term storage - they take 48-72 hours to actually bring the humidity to the target level so if you’re opening the jar even once a day or 2 it’s not going to do much good – he says 2-3 days to reach 62% for the boveda, and 1 day longer for the integra

if i had a lot of flower i needed to store for a long time, i’d probably fully dry and cure it, then vacuum seal it for long term storage and possibly even freeze it

2 Likes

Very recently, we had a user experience rehydration after only 12 hours but we usually recommend 24. I’ve personally seen improvement overnight. There’s a period of time where rehydration will be quicker and will have better results. Something happens when the water content reaches too low. Add time to that scenario and the waxy resins themselves will oxidize and disappear. No coming back from that.

I use Boveda 62’s from cure to consumption.

2 Likes