Dark Sparks with Mr.Sparkle : Growing 2019

Well also consider this is still slow for me as ive had humidity and higher temp issue, let me hunt a comparison photo from the past.

6 Likes

This is today day 28. I do think they are about to take off. But seems small in comparison. Maybe mongo is not meant for autos hahaha

10 Likes

This was day 14 a couple rounds ago in solo cups

12 Likes

Well now your just making me feel bad hahahahaha :joy::joy:

6 Likes

And just a slow start, sometimes autos do kinda stunt out but its almost like they don’t count the days, so what may be day 28 is a day 15-20 for them, now others though the definitely have a solid time clock on them.

Also just start some more, play around, pull apart root balls to see what they are doing, if you learn from it then awesome, i will say coco can and typically is more forgiving for starts.

And i make myself feel bad looking back lol

7 Likes

Haha dont feel bad. I dont even compare myself with half of a mr sparkle.

8 Likes

next time I’ll start direct in the 5 inch pot and ditch the 2 inch jiffy cup. That might speed things up. I think I left them to long in the dome. I think I’m going to start more.

Thanks @PoppaPuff good to know I’m not alone ahha

9 Likes

Pick up a bag of good coco and try it man. Seriously, its unreal how good it is. I was on promix HP for years and coco absolutely blows it away in every way.

I even tried rooting some clones with it in solo cups…roots showing to the sides in 10 days under not very ideal conditions. It’s like it was designed for weed.

8 Likes

@Mongobongo missed it initially in your picture, next time you start some avoid the peat pots at all costs, i really suggest doing this but flip one of those pots over and pop out the root ball and lightly break it up down to the peat pot and take a look, then peel off the pot if you damage some roots which you will but should be minor if your easy on them so don’t worry about it cause its learning.

then just repot them back into your pots again.

Do it you need to see.

8 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle k will do. I’ll take some before and after and of what I’m seeing in the peat pot

@beacher I’m stubborn in my ways but maybe it’s time

7 Likes

Like @beacher i use to use promix and my own compost mixes, then started with mixing in coco with them, and will say if you get some good coco like prewashed and non compress “canna or whatever” you will most likely be impressed, with just using it straight, its worth the $20-25 for a 50l bag to try out

7 Likes

I use the peat pellets. But after they are soaked I remove the netting before they root. I have been experimenting with riot cubes but they have heaved themselves out occasionally

8 Likes

jiffy pellets i have little issue with, so long as like you do remove the netting just as its rooting or say with clones once you have plenty of roots busting through, stripping the net off usually takes the more adventurous roots with it but then again that also evens out all your clones root size wise :wink: and not allowing them to sit in water as they can tend to be too wet if you don’t watch it.

Riot cube or plugs i’ve never dealt with or tried, just cause i was trying to refine thing where say i only needed to keep one thing on hand start to finish aka a bag of good coco… well apart from my more recent trials and tribulations with Hydroton, rockwool, and coco chunks… but lets not go there haha

9 Likes

Yeah I soak the pellets and remove netting before i even plant seeds. I cant handle the ripping the netting and roots off. Very cringey

6 Likes

Day 15 by the looks of it.

Decided to pull the one crinkly mutant today as ill have seed ready to be planted tomorrow and it will be coming out eventually, so might as well get it done.

Comparison shot of the three ATM’s i have growing full crinkle mutant on the left to one that’s not bad but still definitely a crinkle mutant in the center to even the one on the right that still has the odd deformity otherwise looks healthy, These im gonna have to say are prone so people just keep an eye out, and pull them if it benefits you well the more mutant ones anyways they just won’t yield much in the end.

But pulling the one allowed me to look at the roots, i had a sneaking suspicion that this was happening with the chunkier coco as normally i get roots out the drain holes within a week.

The mutant had very few roots in the chunky stuff, but its finer center plug did.

So made me want to take a look at some of the other plants but being gentle with them, ended up pulling a plant each from both pot sizes and the two different fill styles, being a chunky bottom with a finer fill above, and a finer plug style fill with a chunkie outside.

This is how they looked, now i can’t say how they will be later, but when they seemed to had stubbed their toes and went slow from day 4-8ish or whenever it was, i bet you a good portion of that was caused by hitting the chunkier stuff.

So these next seedling will being going back to straight finer coco for their plantings.

And here’s a shot of the two square potted plants above just back into there pots and into there normal places.

@Mongobongo you gonna be seeing a worse variation of this with the peat pot, why i said to take a look.

19 Likes

:sweat_drops:

Beautiful log & thanks again for the experiment :thumbsup: ; Clearly chunk/crouton coir is not ideal for your garden. :blush:

:evergreen_tree: :thinking: rockwool chunks? :rolling_eyes:

8 Likes

@Mr.Sparkle got some coco and changed out the pots. I have 7 going I took all out of jiffy pots and kept 1 in promix and switched the rest to coco. I can not believe how little root growth I had going. The jiffy pots just shut down growth completely. Thanks for the tip :+1::+1:

11 Likes

I like your grow philosophy!

:cowboy_hat_face:

9 Likes

@Mongobongo looking happy already yeah i would of ran a couple in promix just to do a comparison myself, but if you left a decently healthy one in it should be good enough.

As for myself Were now at Day 16

I gave everything a clean my reses needed one as they just had a bunch of coco sediment/goobers so gave them a scrub with my $1 ikea scrub brush and re-filled them with about 3.5L each. I use a 8 liter home depot bucket and my kitchen bar spoon for mixing and just do it in the sink but i made up two batches and split them up between the four reservoirs. Made them out to around 980-1000ppm of megacrop with a couple capfuls of h202 which is about 15ml or a tablespoon’s worth. Just for note my tap water is like 16-20 ppm so im grateful for it, but always spits me out in the 5.7-6.0 pH range so i very rarely check initial pH unless my runoff runs high which i check periodically.

Oh also pulled the shell from the new seedling just to get it going quicker, its already greening up, could of left it.

20 Likes

Another day and more growth, getting excited may up the feed a little and bump up the lights to 120-130w a side from the little less than a 100w they are now, i want to see the bigger pot plants start to overtake the others but I think im gonna be yelling please stop please stop shortly anyways.

20 Likes