Dark Sparks with Mr.Sparkle : Growing 2019

They’re very uniform, must be a real pro breeder :joy:

I’m sure I missed it, but are these all the same type?

4 Likes

so far from it lol

All 5 types are present above though, if you zoom into the pictures the top right of every pot they are marked as to what’s what.

But yeah so far not much are really showing any color back left Fuzz but even it is minor currently, but plenty of time.

7 Likes

Oh nice, I see that now. They’re very similar at this stage. Is there a thread where you detail the history/lineage of dark sparks, ATM, fuzz et Al?

Gonna be popping some of mine soon it’s warming up here. Gonna give my mom a dark sparks for her deck I think she’ll love the pretty purple!

5 Likes

Well they are all Dark Sparks, just different phenos and were originally from a couple DarkDevils it’s just were quite a few generations in, but if you head up to post 110 ish I’ve shown the mother’s of the seeds.

As for giving one to your mother go for it, just might have to pull it if it’s a crinkle mutant but ATM’s seem most prone to me so far

9 Likes

I’ll check that out, need some reading for tonight. And she gets what she gets its only for fun and I get the weed anyways haha

5 Likes

I give in, im going to buy some coco.
Looking good Mr Sparkley. :sunglasses:

10 Likes

That’s me, every single time.

I think you’re right, too. Looks like they are just itching to explode :grinning: :fireworks:

8 Likes

If you crank up the wattage will the seedling be fine with the light? I’ve never really seen it but they always say seedlings are sensitive to the intensity of led’s I’ve only grown cfl’s and diy cheap chinese led’s. I now use Sil’s but have yet to grow with them.

3 Likes

I gotta say truly inspiring I love it all of it I tried some LRxUV from Reiko and it really opened my eyes as a grower who is still in a state that requires me to hide in my closet they have worked out greatfor me I really couldnt be happier and cannot wait to try more in the future After checking out your logs here it shows me how far i have to go and just how much work is still to be done and I look forward to all of it like I said man truly inspiring thanks for the knowledge and grow on my friends

14 Likes

@seedlingstarter they are more sensitive to light, but they are also not <2" away from them and usually at that point you have heat, drying out and general light bleaching issues to contend with.

But update time

Day 18/2

Turned up the lights to 125w a side, and changed the watering frequency which i might change again.
But things are going now, a couple are just starting to fight for light so i expect some stretching shortly, mind you they will be anyways.

And so far none are really showing an purple traits that im use to, maybe one or two such as the fuzz on the back left with its slight colored petioles but we will have to wait and see.

20 Likes

When are you use to your dark sparks to showing color? I know some strains will develop color as the bud starts forming/maturing , at the first site of flower. Seems like your used to the color at around this time, are they flowering already?

3 Likes

took a closer look at some tonight, usually it’s the onset of flowering is when you really know and can tell by the calyxes, but there are some giveaways even from day one that help indicate, like outside color of the cotyledon, to under leaf color to vein color, to having the purple pigment carrying in the petiole it isn’t for sure but definitely an indicator.

I’ll try and grab a picture or two of the minor stuff im seeing in this batch so far, some will be purple in the end though.

Give me a bit…

6 Likes

Example mind you light right now, but this will be a purple plant in the end, and its that back left fuzz i’ve mentioned.

And pulled these from my past pictures, some plants you can tell they are just gonna be purple in the end, again not definite signs, but very high likelihood, unless they are a reversal plant where as the foliage is purple but buds stay bright green.

Center

Petiole’s

Leaf Underside

21 Likes

Yea!! Uppy closeys!!

11 Likes

Yep. That looks awfully familiar. Funny that I forgot about that little stuff in the 2 months since I grew the Dark Devils. It had all that. The last one of the devils I have budding now is all green. No sign of purple to be found. lol Interesting little buggers. All the way from flourescent lime green to almost black purple.

7 Likes

Even though a day later gonna put in another update

Day 19/3

Here’s how they were looking

So first i made up a small batch for the right side reservoir for the left side cab, want to see how a higher feed treats them, currently will be up in the 1250-1300ppm range vs the 950-1080ppm rage it was in before.

Also been increasing the watering frequency and duration as the pots were feeling light when i got around to taking a look at them tonight but then i realizing they had actually only been watered 20 mins before so thus i changed it up, so were at 10sec durations 4 times during light on, its not that they are going dry its more about cycling the water and nutrients in the media, but you can definitely go too much if your not watching things.

So more the reason for the update lets discuss the “Crinkle Mutants”

This one’s getting pulled tonight considering though this one was pretty decent compared to most ive had. Now how do i describe this through my observations. The crinkle mutants leaf growth if you look at them closer up seem more like a smattering of cells that grow in a random disorganized pattern vs say a normal leaf where growth continues in an organized fashion, because of that the leafs don’t really expand at an equal rate or just hold up all together as its like they lost their ability to do so, so even if the plant is getting everything it needs or at least seems too it just throws out curled, clawed, bumpy, raise edge, and or raised interveinal leaves that are those smattering of cells.
As these leaves age ive noticed that even though they are healthy and green and hydrated, they actually become quite brittle in a sense that say on a good plant those leaves would tear eventually once more force is applied but the rest of the leaf still remains intact, now for these plants the leaves more or less crumble with little effort, my assumption is this is due to that disorganized leaf cell structure.

Now with the coloring discussions in my post from yesterday when i was going back through my pictures the proverbial light bulb went on and i want to say this characteristic carried over with one of the pollen donors “Damn You Beyonce” or at least that pollen donor has caused the expression of this mutant characteristic to be more locked in per say and not recessive or pushed out. Saying that this characteristic was partially present four generations ago in the pollen donor at the time, as i was just using what i had at the time with no intention id be this far down the road with them, as i was just making seeds for myself and playing, shit happens anyways live and learn.

One of my previous goals was to stomp out that mutant expression if i could, but this last round of seed making i just crossed and played with what i thought was the best i had as i was kinda on a killing spree before that looking for the proverbial perfect white unicorns to carry on, anyways im pretty sure i can decently pinpoint things now and will say the ATM seeds are gonna express this in higher frequency followed by the darksparks then the easy D after that just with how if i remember i pollinated things, there is some crossover but i guess just a forewarning for now, we can discuss this and show the mutants as we go along if we so desire,

I’ll share a couple other ATM’s tonight to show some mutations or oddities that some have already gotten or may get.

Anyways always learning, and neat to see.

So here is my left side now with some shuffling, im contemplating maybe eventually reducing to 6 plants in total if there growth keeps up, but we will see.

17 Likes

This is what my dark devil crinkle mutant looked like at harvest. There was nothing on it to harvest actually, the buds were like swollen tiny calyxes. I threw it away. Strangest thing ever when grown to completion.

They do have a really wonderful scent though, like spicy flowers. Very different and distinctive.

9 Likes

Also reason i suggested pulling early ;), the crinkles really just become useless

Anyways on to the photos i said id grab.

Now so far pretty much every ATM i’ve tried thus far and have grown out far enough has eventually shown some issue well on the ones that i haven’t culled early for other reasons, but i’ve maybe ran a dozen so far.

First here is a current seedling that had a slow start germing was just planted just cause it was an extra, the other that i started beside it appears normal at least currently.

But weird 4 cotyledon starter, the DS also seem to express a 3 cotyledon version but i haven’t fully correlated if that is a sign for issue later, as a lot seem to grow normal and i haven’t grow out enough to a point to know or not.

Here is the biggest and healthiest ATM ive have and had so far, but there is the odd partial leaf mutation going on with it, and its not limited to just that top leaf

Now here is a DS with the same thing just in a minor form of it, you can see it in the top left leaf and center right.

If anything can be partially concluded from my limited observations so far is just that the Greens seem to be the strongest growing plants, how they will turn out later on i have no idea and your guess is as good as mine, i’ll be watching mine for that stem elongation trait which the “sandy broom” plant was a exaggerated example of which you can see back on post 92 and before in this thread. But yeah after the Greens the Fuzz’s seem not too bad, even though i expect less yield from them due to the mother’s growth characteristics, but so far they are going decent and pretty much all showing a bit of color as well so i expect them to be in the purple realm color wise.

Obviously i’ll have to run more of all these seeds to see, but i may have to jump back a generation and trial some trait pairings a couple times to see how things spit out so i can then head in the direction i had in mind for how i wanted these to go. Oh well just means more playing :wink: Till then i get to see how these current plants express and what comes from them which is exciting.

15 Likes

Morning of Day 21/5

Ah yeah looks like they’re growing, i think im in for a bit of trouble with what size they are now and were only a 1/3rd the way through…

As for the res i increased the feed on, maybe they might be a bit darker but not really also they are not show any signs of issues either just growing well, so one i will probably increase the feed for all after i take a few run off ppm measurements, So im partially thinking the lighter color that im seeing vs what i was expecting could also be due to the light distance being relatively close compared to past runs, as that’s something i’ve noticed that if my plants get into a certain range of the light the top most stuff fades back a bit color wise, but usually that’s also at the end of there cycles anyways, so maybe possible light beaching but more like fading, or that’s just how these plants are expressing.

17 Likes

Wow they are exploding :firecracker:… have you tried these outdoors yet at all?

3 Likes