Dave's insomnia driven high-deas

High-dea #1 Building better biochar:

Properly made biochar from wood and bark is awesome. But biochar made from rice hulls is more awesomer Lmao. While looking for plants that are high in silica for my compost pile I stumbled across some studies on rice hull char and how beneficial is was for the soil and plants. Apparently rice hull biochar is carbon and non-crystalline silica with the silica content of minimum like 73% the rest being pure carbon.

9 Likes

High-dea #2 no till “terpinator” topdressing

While looking up the ingredients of terpinator to see just how organic it is I found its mainly three things: potassium, selenium, and aresenic. Cool right adding aresenic to the flowers you smoke, I know! Not really. Selenium however is needed by both plants and animals but can be toxic to both at high level. Cool thing is its taken up by the plant by attaching to places instead of sulfur. It increases the metabolism of the plant as well as going to boost it’s defense systems. I.e. resins and trichs.
The highest source of natural selenium? Brazil nuts.
Plan is to powderize and mix both brazil nuts with kelp meal and it should replicate what terpinator does. I hope lol

7 Likes

Maybe roast a batch of them, building two and do a lil test. Brazil nuts.

Now let me take a dab and combine your two ideas… biochar the Brazil nut shells!

Honestly I didn’t look for the nutrient content of the shells from the brazil nuts. I think roasting the nut could burn up some of the nutrients you’re wanting to add.
Turning the rice husks into char leaves the silica cause of the high temps the silica can take. Most of the rice husk ash is a byproduct of feeding incinerators in rice producing countries.

1 Like

Not a high-dea but a link to a bunch of great podcasts for fellow weednerdz

1 Like

The silica from rice hills sounds interesting! I was going to incorporate hulls in my next set up however I never thought about charing them, the benefit of wood char lies in the surface area if the char where all the microorganisms might seek refuge until they over populate and get taken out by predators it’s said a gram piece of biochar holds the surface area the size of a football field pretty amazing if ya think about it! I tried a post on biochar and it seemed like a dead end for a subject of interest here on OG oh well life goes on!

2 Likes

I’ll find it and keep it alive as soon as my bag of rice hulls gets here. I made a bio-charlie from some steel ducting and end caps. I didn’t feel like spending the $60-70 for the one on Amazon. It’s how I plan on closing the loop on the stalks, stems, and more Woody fiberous waste material.

3 Likes

You sound like a very environmentally conscious type person that utilizes resources to their fullest potential if we only had more people in this world with that mind set it would be better off!

3 Likes

Biochar the stalks and stems… that is straight brilliant! I have a pound of rice hulls I plan to char as well.

4 Likes

Inventing superlatives is like an addiction to me… HAHAHAHAHA!

4 Likes

High-deas learned from podcasts while sitting in the deer blind:

Roll seeds to be planted in glomus mossaea also known as rhizophagus intraracides. Glomus intraracides or rhizophagus mossaea to inoculate the newly emerging seedling with the only endomycorrhizal fungi strain that forms a beneficial relationship with cannabis.

leprechauns gold aka Clover water: soak 1-2 cups of clover in non-chlorinated water for 24 hours, blend and strain the water from the clover mash, use water to feed seedlings or young plants.

Soils from pots with males or plants to be culled that are healthy are packed full of plant exudates specifically used by cannabis plants. It should be washed repeatedly to collect these exudates to water keeper plants

Best essential oils for IPM by bug type:
Ants: Peppermint, spearmint, garlic, citronella, orange, cedarwood

Aphids: Cedarwood, hyssop, peppermint, spearmint, orange, cedarwood

Beetles: Peppermint, thyme, garlic, cedarwood, orange

Caterpillars: Peppermint, spearmint, cedarwood, orange

Chiggers: Lavender, lemongrass, sage, thyme, cedarwood, orange

Cutworm: Thyme, sage, cedarwood, orange

Flies: Lavender, peppermint, rosemary, sage, citronella, tansy, cedarwood, orange, lemongrass, lemon, thyme, tea tree, sandalwood, patchouli

Gnats: Patchouli, spearmint, orange, citronella, tagetes, cedarwood, peppermint, eucalyptus, rose geranium

Mosquitoes: Lavender, lemongrass, orange, citronella, tansy, cedarwood, peppermint, lemon, eucalyptus, thyme, rose geranium, clove, blue cypress, cinnamon, sage

Plant Lice: Peppermint, spearmint, cedarwood, orange

Moths: Cedarwood, hyssop, lavender, peppermint, spearmint, citronella, orange

Slugs: Cedarwood, hyssop, pine, garlic, orange

Snails: Cedarwood, pine, patchouli, garlic, orange

Spiders: Peppermint, spearmint, lemon, lime, orange, citrus, lavender, citronella, cedarwood

Ticks: Lavender, lemongrass, orange, sage, thyme, citronella, tea tree, geranium, cedarwood, tansy, eucalyptus, sweet myrrh

Weevils: Cedarwood, patchouli, sandalwood, orange

6 Likes

I like the idea of bio-char. I listened to a lengthy podcast on the subject. Came away with the fact that the proven results are amazing on a large scale but if you use too much for example it can do so much more harm than good, stripping nutrients. I dunno. How do you know how much to add? I could roast my rice hull mulch. Are you suggesting it would be beneficial to do so? One love bro.
:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

The floor of oleskool’s Shitkicker Shed is covered with cedar mulch, tents on pallets. No creepy crawl Crawlers.
:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

I don’t think it takes much iirc 10% or less from what I’v heard. Needs to be charged of course if not it can have an opposite effect and have a negative effect also heard that it’s not beneficial towards all crops brassicas stand out to me for being that crop.

1 Like

If you buy it charged or soak it in a nitrogen rich food source, it wont strip nutrients. Fish emulsion, or (I cant believe I’m saying this) even urine works well. Soak it for a week before adding it to soil. Charged biochar can be added up to 30% of the soil with no I’ll effects…

3 Likes

I’m thinking wood would be a better option due to its pore structure and surface area I think what it comes down to is having all the different sorts of bacteria a place to hang out and propagate themselves.

I heard that pissing on it can be beneficial. Especially 1st thing in the morning after a day of Budweiser in the sun. :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks @ReikoX. You wrote the chapter on bio-char for my book. Credit will be given.

2 Likes

Wood would have more pores to my thinking. I use rice hulls because of the silica content it adds to the soil mix. I saw somewhere that sells kelp biochar because of the minerals it still has in it even after the charring.

From what I’ve read 5-10% is a good range to be in when adding biochar.

2 Likes