Help with Charging Biochar

I’m trying my hand at charging some biochar at home. I’ve got charcoal, fish hydroslate, worm castings, LABs and Molasses and FPJ in this bucket for the past 2-3 weeks. I’m just not 100% sure how to treat it from here. Every video I’ve seen ends with the bucket of mix charging and gives no further instructions on storage for the homemade char.

Do I drain it off and dry it? Do I leave it in this bucket? It is starting to get a sulfur (poop) smell to it that is concerning me? Anyone with experience in homemade char have any tips on next steps?

3 Likes

I don’t think you can make biochar from just charcoal as it’s created using a different process but I’d love to be incorrect as I looked into making myself and opted to purchase locally for many reasons.

The sulfur smell I’d assume is a “Not Good” indicator tbh. :man_shrugging:

:v:

7 Likes

You are supposed to steep the charcoal in an aerated solution, not let it soak in a stagnant solution, your char is in conditions which are conducive to anaerobic bacteria… not good. I would dry it out and test it to make sure it is usable

3 Likes

Its a debated issue but there is lots of info on using specifically lump natural hardwood charcoal for biochar. How effective it is vs properly made biochar, I don’t know? its probably nowhere near as good but I’m doing this as I was unable to source it locally and Im trying to be about making my own stuff if possible. Here is some of the stuff I was reading about Biochar vs Lump Charcoal https://www.soilfixer.co.uk/biochar-versus-charcoal.

The Sulfur smell is a real issue. I might need to dry it out and see if that helps or just start again?

4 Likes

I wondered about this when watching videos on this process, no one used a bubbler but maybe that will be my next step? i like your dry out idea. we are having a hurricane here so might take a minute to dry out but still better than going toxic in my basement.

2 Likes

I really love what you are doing so as you journey:

:wink:

4 Likes

If you wanna see me fail upwards come check out the main thread! lots of stinky buckets going on in the basement! In the basement with Loggershands I would love it if you checked it out!

4 Likes

How do you think you could test it? Maybe just give a small amount to a plant Im not invested in and see if it dies?

1 Like

When it dries, crush a piece between your fingers and then rinse it off with just water(no soap)…if it all washes off easily it is good, if it doesn’t wash off easily, don’t use it. When dry, It should also have no smell

2 Likes

I think biochar vs natural charcoal is a marketing scam. Biochar is literally charcoal that is biologically activated. Its in the name. Pore size and surface area might have a little effect but I like bigger chunks for air/water pockets and they eventually break down naturally anyways to give a bigger surface area. Keep in mind you have to use natural charcoal and not the lump charcoal with glue and fire starters. Indigenous peoples who used biochar didn’t have modern pyrolysis.

6 Likes

This is the conclusion I came to after reading up on it for a while. Modern techniques will give you a great product but people all over the world make this stuff with nothing but a camp fire and poop and it works great for them :grin::+1::fire:

4 Likes

Around here it is a little difficult to do the correct process of pyrolysis, due to space and to obtain the adequate raw material.
I buy a biochar made of bamboo online…
To activate it, I mix it with the humus in the compost bin.

1 Like

I read this article! When I was looking for lump charcoal I was touching the bits in the ripped bags and rinsing my hand to see how easily it washed off :rofl:

I was thinking more how to test if it’s an anerobic mess that will kill my plants and make me sick :rofl: guess I’ll just feed some to my wife’s house plants and see what happens :grin:

1 Like

I might let it dry first, and then smell it… If it stinks at all, douse it with LAB to help get rid of the anaerobes. It should be fine once it dries

2 Likes

This is a great idea! This is exactly what I’ll do! Thanks man! :grin:

1 Like

thought biochar was made from wood in a indirect intense low-heat charring oven or furnace?

regards,

Yes! Pretty much. It’s made by the process called Pyrolysis. Heat between 300-800f and little oxygen as possible. It’s the same process they use to make charcoal.

If you read through the history section you will see this is not new or fancy technology. Bio char is a marketing term for a powerful soil amendment that has been used by people for thousands of years.

2 Likes

I think Ace Hardware or True Value Hardware they have a Charcoal that is 100% Biochar not much more expensive than regular charcoal, I bought 5 bags 10 or so years ago to put in one of my garden spots after reading about biochar in a magazine.

regards,

2 Likes

Do you have a link? I could t find anything g in my area for bio char?

no, but I think I might have some left in a bag around here somewhere, I will look for it to find the name of the company that makes it and get back to you.

regards,

1 Like