Decarbing using Citric Acid

Friend of mine sent me this, haven’t tried it but could be interesting for some of you…

No heat involved means potentially more terpenes remain intact.

Edit:

:thinking:

12 Likes

Interested to hear some first hand experience

4 Likes

I’ve done it, it works quite well. The citric acid will definitely overpower any terpenes. I mixed it with a steak sauce and used it in a cocktail before.

15 Likes

Perhaps less citric acid can be used to preserve flavor?
By letting it react for longer period of time?
Months instead of weeks, maybe, like making cheese :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Or washing out the citric acid with water by making hash after decarbing instead of making hash first. :thinking:

Citric acid is water soluble and also dissolves in alcohol.
So interesting for tinctures as well.

4 Likes

You would have to try it for yourself. I thought I had a post here somewhere, but can’t seem to find it at the moment.

1 Like

thecleangame (58)

5 years ago

I started with ethanol extractions for making RSO as well. Always noticed a major difference in effect, between smoking and the oil. This (citric acid decarb) is much more like smoking.

The Cool thing is you can make RSO out of strains with terpene profiles you don’t do as well with and the effects are easier to handle. :slight_smile:

Might be interesting for people who have been immune to edibles and RSO, perhaps when it’s decarbed this way, with more terpenes in tact, it might dissolve the immunity, if only partly.

4 Likes

Doubt this is really related but interesting side bar with Citric acid.

2 Likes

I just did it as an experiment we’ll see in a week or so

1 Like

I always grind my shrooms to dust, and put them in a coffee mug. Wet them with enough lemon juice to be totally floating. After maybe 5 min I add sugar till I have a solid sludge again, then boiling water to fill the mug.

Tricks your mind into thinking you are drinking lemonade with pulp. Way faster onset so less weird half tripping body load pseudo-nausea. Higher faster peak, amd shorter duration.

2 Likes

After reading that article that’s basically exactly the same procedure and affects they describe. Thanks @Qtip.

2 Likes

I ll study a little this method.
Vool hear about.
After my experiment i ll back here

1 Like

I need to try it as High octane alcohol is illegal here.

:green_heart: :seedling:

2 Likes

To the next person who discovers this thread or threads like it: If cannabis can be decarbed using citric acid, it’s a complicated process. The ways described online DON’T WORK. At least they don’t work on my weed.

1 Like

Hey friends. Does anyone know the proper way to decarb rosin using citric acid? Do I just add a bit of the powder to the rosin and let sit. Will I see it bubbling?

1 Like

You’ll definitely get some unknown isomers mixing cannabinoids with acids. I’m not certain if much decarboxylation would happen but might be some interesting effects ingesting whatever it is. I don’t think at my age I’d want to be a guinea pig for unknown substances but report back if you do… I suspect it would be a very relaxing effect. Probably a bit less high but who knows… Maybe one of the isomers created is a hundred times stronger than Delta 9… Mixing CBD with acid is the first step to hemp derived THC isomerization.

2 Likes

BadKittySmiles has some info on citric acid extraction over at GrassCity. I used hash and it worked okay, but it had limited applications for cooking. I made a steak sauce with it.

Honestly I prefer to decarb my rosin in a toaster oven.

2 Likes