Decarboxylation help

I did a search and now am more confused than before. I can’t find the info I had and the new is all over the place. I even read the Decarboxylation Studies and my eyes crossed. 160 degrees to over 300. Six minutes to hours.
Edit: using oven and a MB decarb box.

7 Likes

10 Likes

This is a good OP on the topic, too:

Graph from that thread (temps in Celsius):

Some more charts in this thread:

4 Likes

This is the study’s that confused me. Is it saying 320F to 6.5 minutes. Everything else is cooler and longer. One says 250F for 30 for THC another 240F for 45. And above 300F for 10/18 minutes.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s what that study is saying if I’m understanding

– right chart –
Higher temperatures == shorter time held at that temperature
–also–
Higher temperatures == Higher conversion to THC

It seems to align with some of the other charts, the axis’s are just different.

Here’s one I think @ReikoX had posted awhile ago and may have some thoughts:

13 Likes

Just stick with 240°F for 40 minutes and you will be all good.

16 Likes

@ReikoX
How do I bookmark your thread so itsceasier to find?

3 Likes

Hit the 3 dots at the end of the post, the bookmark icon is the one on the right, kinda looks like a ribbon

3 Likes

Thank You Newb

4 Likes

Sounds good! Will do thank you.

edited just took out of oven and hope to make butter tomorrow. Got to get unsalted.

5 Likes

Great to see you back again G-paS!

2 Likes

I wanted to share some information I found to be helpful.
Decarboxylation: How to Decarb Weed for Edibles | Grow Weed Easy I hope it’s ok to share the link. Anyway, always great stuff from Sirius Foreside & Nebula Haze at GWE.

2 Likes

want thoughts on this : when making edibles I don’t “decarb” in the oven - here is my way: I use crock pot and run it for 1hr on high (at 190-200 degrees) then for 4 hr reduce too low for 4 hrs. (+/-) Decarbed once i oven and didn’t get good results (after oven decard I use crock pot) like an old horse can’t teach new tricks. thoughts on not using oven for decarb ??- just the old crock pot way Thanks members for your thoughts !!

2 Likes

Any method will work, as long as you get the flower to temperature and keep it there. I do mine in the oven these days. In a sealed mason jar which I keep closed til it cools to preserve terps or if I am making a less flavored batch of oil I simmer the buds in water for 15/20 mins then put it on a baking tray in the oven to decarb. Whatever works for ya

2 Likes

Thanks - so you think what I explained works ANY information/suggstions that I might better in the Crock Pot ? Thanks !!!

I decarb at 100 Celsius for 3 hours.

“Sous vide” aka “bain marie”

Smaller pot sitting on top of a slightly bigger pot with boiling water.

I’ve tried 1, 2, 3 and 4 hours.

Three gives me the most balanced and soothing effect.

2 Likes

I don’t have to worry about smell so I decarb on a cookie sheet in the oven for 40 minutes @ 240°F (115°C). I’ve read before where slight changes in temp can significantly alter the time needed for decarb to take place. This is pretty close to what I remember:

Borrowed from HERE.

3 Likes

I use an Insta-pot a mason jar and water on high for 40 mins.

2 Likes

Crock pot will work just fine, but at 190-200 you’ll want to up the time to probably like an hour and 20 mins or so I’d imagine. Not getting a full decarb isn’t the worst thing. Granted it’ll yield an oil that won’t get you quite as high, but you get a whole lot of medical benefits from the acidic form of the cannabinoids

2 Likes

does the Effect change if i dont fully decarb?
I was always leaning thowards not wanting to decarb fully, as i preffere uphighs.

2 Likes