Defoliation vs No(little) defoliation

Done with this thread.

Good luck to all you Mother Pluckers,
Uncle Ben :rofl:

5 Likes

I once plucked a chicken and it definitely grew better.

8 Likes

Tasted better, too I’ll bet :wink:

I resemble that remark lol

:joy:

1 Like

I thank you for the lead on Koray Optoelectronics (and i take it like it should be). Since µmol rates become more vulgarized in marketing with LED panels, i’m searching everything in relation (in the vein of the compensation point, specifically).

Thanks for your qualitative demonstration too, well appreciated.

Beside that, I’ve made the effort to extract from the hell the “making of” of plants only defoliated to be “photogenic”. Yes, i insist on the psychological biases of catalogs and the big impact it have. A lot.

Day 1

Day 33

Day 47

Day 70

In this case, and specifically for this plant … It was impossible to count on the defoliation to make it “bankable”, the natural shape and density of the buds are absolutely not compatible. The defoliation is just in this case a standard of presentation. The only way to do it was to apply a strategy to something that really matter to “increase volume” : the roots.

The other case involve a plant on which the trigger to make it “bankable” is totally different (but one more time, the roots are more involved than any type of defoliating strategy. She just have a very high level of tolerance on nutes, to the point to can’t be smoked at all at its maximum rate.

Day 1

Day 32

Day 47

Day 61

Day 66

Day 73

Day 113

I can understand the habits of everyone (with a context) when it belong to technics, RH strategies even preferences (trimming, hash production, dust in final product whatever…).

But when it’s presented like a drastic factor for yield, the only thing that come in my mind is the psychological bias. This plant is incredible, but to build a “naked plant” is absolutely not the way to produce monsters for catalogs. Catalogs that are never showing the strict reality of a qualitative weed in the vast majority of the cases. Most of the work to do for volume is on the roots density, ions exchanges and assimilation, it’s the real leverage. And like all “old farts” it’s very hard for me to ear everything else ^^

But i respect, and i can’t wait to discover new advanced technics to test that are not “too pushy extrapolations” of minor factors.

5 Likes

It’s all about the roots, period.

2 Likes

Couldn’t stay away?
:rofl:

5 Likes

Photosynthesis is the singlemost important factor that decides plant growth. This has been shown scientifically time and again. It simply provides the energy for anything else, even nutrient mobilization, assimilation, translocation, and it also causes the transpirational pull. There is only 1 little exception and that is a sprout in its first initial days can take energy from fatty substances stored in its cotyledons to grow roots and lengthen the hypocotyl until it finds direct light and the apical hook opens.

Removing leaves in veg is going to create a more branchy plant structure. Because shaded parts stretch more due to less luminous flux received and a changed phytochrome stationary state. It’s way different indoors than outdoors. Electric light is inferior in many (not all) ways. An experienced indoor grower knows if, when and where to train his plant, in order to accomodate his phenotypes to his setup and goals.

Excessive defoliation will surely be accompanied by some mass loss (less leaves equate less photosynthesis, crudely speaking, plus loss of already aquired mass) and needs more time (=cost) in veg to compensate this out. Which, in a rapidly growing plant, can be setoff quickly. Later in flower it can be really lossy, which can still be acceptable if better bagappeal or else is the ulterior motive. Not sure if selective pruning would cause any losses whatsoever, it could be within a “tolerance” due to surplus.

Some hormone-effects on leafloss where plants raise their immune system and also create more roots. There’s evidence showing that pheromones from broken leaves have an effect.

Plant nutrition needs to be within acceptable levels and genetic dictates alot of what happens, from there it’s the raw number of net photons projected over an area that will cause an almost linear relationship with yield, up to some hardcaps.

The Osmocote is really good stuff, seen a side by side with Cannabis and it won as it will just create very healthy green leaves even late flower. These are time-released synthetic nutes that release with each subsequent watering, that reduces salt buildup and guarantees a steady supply of essential ions dissolved in the soil solution.

3 Likes

Perhaps I send 3 feminized photo Cap Junky seeds each to @Jetdro and @OldUncleBen and the two of you have a grow-off? OldUncleBen using whichever methods he chooses and same for Jetdro. Start all 3 seeds and prior to flipping you select your best plant of the three. You veg the same amount of days and flip on the same day. The winner is the grower with the highest dry weight from their best plant.

Anyone have any other suggestions to make this more even? I think it’s PUOSU time.

5 Likes

Why don’t you do the grow off lol
: ) do a side by side : )

5 Likes

If F1 seed interested , if F2 I’m not , not into hunting through F2 ‘s , just not my thing , more an F1 guy

1 Like

I have a suggestion. Just don’t do it. This isn’t gonna prove anything, it’s just gonna start more arguments… there are a million other variables that will affect the outcome other than defoliation technique. If you really want to, I’d agree with @ifish - do it your damn self, then post the results. It still won’t change any minds - unless we all know that you can grow two plants exactly, 100% identically they’ll be picked apart by people who are gonna believe what they want to believe anyway, so it’s pretty much irrelevant.

9 Likes

@Cormoran

Totally :100: agree

But my $ on @Jetdro lol :joy:

Ok I’m a smart ass

4 Likes

I don’t dislike the idea, but ten seeds is the minimum amount to go somewhere with averages. And at the condition that the line you’re talking about is known to be rockstable.

In a perfect world, it have to expanded to a good dozen of different growers. With the same batch of seeds.

I think the grow off is already completed. I think you guys just like to argue but won’t admit it. This is only my third post in this thread and UncleBen has run me off. Have fun ya’ll.

1 Like

yeppers, root mass having the biggest impact, but who really cares about those useless parts? :rofl:

1 Like

Don’t let him scare you off. He’s not scary.

2 Likes

They just words on a screen lol

1 Like

A crabby know it all coot but not scary.

3 Likes

Haha we all are : )

1 Like