Different possibilities for non pesticide removal of fungus nats and possible other pests

Luckily i just toss bacterial larvae killer in the ole hydro resivoir and bam RIP!

I destroyed an entire grow for spider mites. I’m lucky that where I live I have to import them as clones, so I’m super careful with clones now.

1 Like

Lots of remedies for fungus gnats!
For me me personally, it’s an organic solution.
A combination of Diatomaceous Earth, Mosquito Bits(BTI), and sticky traps will always annihilate and keep at bay permanently. :wink:

1 Like

Try Growsafe. Two actives are just corn oil and soybean oil. Can be used seed to chop. I tried it due to the reviews and it worked, extremely well. One application and it was like nuke went off for insect life on thrips and mites. I use it diluted now as my only IPM once a week as it smokes PM too.

1 Like

This ^ do this. Methods like this also eliminate any problems from over/under watering or bad watering habits in general.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard of it but I appreciate the recommendation! I use a handful of things to try to control the pests, i like to rotate through them so maybe this is one i should add. I have had great luck with @JohnnyPotseed solution (https://overgrow.com/t/mites-thrips-aphids-one-n-done-with-pics/).

I have a question for all your experts out there… I want to spray some of my flowering babies with Johnny’s and the like. But I never spray those inside… today it is currently like 30F degrees outside this morning with a high in the 50s. Do I need to worry about hurting the plants if I take them out into the cold and cover them in cool liquid and then rinse them. Rinsing isn’t needed but I like to get all the dead bugs off. I am guessing nothing bad will happen to the plants for such a short visit outside but doused in cold water and outside? I can bring them inside to dry so they won’t need to be out there too long.

2 Likes

They’ll be fine, so long as you bring them back in right away. It’s 20°F outside here and I just up-potted two plants outside. Yesterday I planted a clone in a pot while outside too and it’s doing fine. The Happy Frog I used had frozen chunks in it.

1 Like

You can spray em indoors, cuz. Any over-spray won’t hurt any other plants at all.

1 Like

I did spray in doors once… but then my tent walls and floor become kinda sticky and dirt stuck to that. Also I like to blast off a bunch of the aphids with water from the hose first. But if you have any tips for spraying them indoors, I am all ears.

1 Like

Well, the only thing I can say is…if you take em out to spray, then put em back in…you’ll just be putting the plants ‘back into the lions den’, so to speak. just IMHO, but I’d spray everything at once with the MTA mix… floors, walls, as much of the ceiling as you can without hitting the lights (unless you turn em off so as no damage, then turn em back on after dry) the pots sides, soil top etc

3 Likes

I shall give it a try again. Thanks Johnny.

1 Like

It will dry pretty quickly, and you’ll eliminate a LOT more of them F’ers than doing it the way you spoke of, brother.

1 Like

Is it OK to spray on flowers putting on trich’s? Seems like the alcohol would do a dissolving job on them.

1 Like

The Ethanol in the MTA mix is actually beneficial to the plants, and can be sprayed all the way up to day of harvest.
ISO will dissolve the trichs/THC, yes.

Ethanol is also used in preparing tincture/oil, precisely because it dissolves the trichomes. If it didn’t, you’d end up with hash instead. I’m not sure if it being part of an emulsion affects it - emulsified alcohol might not react with anything outside the emulsion - but generally ethanol sprayed on flowering plants would dissolve the trichomes. I haven’t seen any tests either way on plants sprayed with the MTA, and I can’t seem to make my search engine recognize the question so I can’t find any relevant research. :man_shrugging: If you have any details on how alcohol in an emulsion reacts with trichs, I’d be interested to read it.

1 Like

The amount of Ethanol in the MTA mix is very small, if read the entire post on MTA, you’ll see this part

“Use of ethanol vs isopropyl is primarily because the ethanol-oil combo is better at getting through the insect cuticle AND ethanol is actually utilized by the plant cells to form carbohydrates so it’s kind of a win-win !”

The diluted ratio/amount is so small as to not harm the trichs to any discernible degree…

2 Likes

Probably true, yep - it’s only ~10% of the concentrate and the concentrate’s applied at ~1.5%, so you end up with about 0.15% ethanol. Even the most desperate alcoholic would never turn to it for a buzz. Ethanol does dissolve trichomes though, just figured that deserved a correction. I doubt the MTA has enough of it to seriously impact the potency unless you’re spraying really heavily.

2 Likes

I mentioned that about all alcohol in general, but like i said, it’s such a small amount, there really isn’t any cause for concern. I also ran a test to see for myself, lol After spraying some full term bud, I used a scope/light no trichs damaged.

4 Likes

Spider mite drown when you use a wetting agent (yucca) normally the hairs on insects allows them to form a protective bubble using surface tension, adding a wetting agent robs them of that ability and they get wet.

Afaik most insects breath through there body and cannot afford to get wet or they suffocate?

If you see springtails in your suacer or tray try a drop of wetting agent and watch them fall straight through the surface and die.

I find it difficult to imagine pests not getting wet but it’s phyics they’re exploiting.

I don’t use soil but I’d like to find out if a wetting agent made any impact on other pests?

2 Likes

I had a battle with fungus gnats last winter in my tent. I must have had a resistant variety. I tried mosquito bits and the donuts, didn’t bother them one bit, they kept breeding. The sticky traps were covered with the flying adults. Tried letting the top layer of promix dry out in between waterings. You know when the soil shrinks a bit around the outside edge of the pot? We’ll the gnats just went down there to the moist soil and laid more eggs. Party time again.
So I tried bottom watering into the saucers the pots sat in. In between waterings I could see the gnats going in the drain holes of the pots and laying eggs there. More breeding.
Next I thought I was smart and bought some panty hose (large size) :grin: to put around the bottom of the pots. This didn’t work. Somehow they were still multiplying. Maybe back down the sides of the pot.
I ended up just tolerating them. I don’t think the mature plants were bothered by them. There’re just an annoying pest to have flying around.

1 Like