Distilled water ppm?

Hi peeps

What ppm should distilled water have?
Will use it to calibrate my PH pen.

2 Likes

Distilled should have 0 PPM. It should be pure water.

5 Likes

Ok, thanks.

I’m trying to make it myself since I haven’t found anyone able to deliver it in a fairly short time (I need it ASAP as my mother plant is dying)

I use a steel pot and steam cleaner to make it, but the first measurement show 17ppm, and my tap water is 25ppm.

1 Like

Not sure about making it yourself… you can find it at any Walmart or grocery store.

1 Like

Alright, will do some more research :slight_smile:

Will the ph pen calibration be way off if I use 17ppm water?

25PPM for tap water is quite low.

Are you trying to calibrate an EC/PPM pen or a PH pen?

Using distilled water for calibration of a PH pen is not normally recommended. It is very PH unstable. The only case that I have seen where the manufacturer suggests the use of distilled water for PH calibration is for the super-cheap Chinese models. While inexpensive, those have caused nothing but difficulties.

Distilled water is sometimes used to rinse the probe prior to using a calibration solution. E.g. buffered PH 7 cal solution used for single point calibration. Or, multiple cal solutions (4,7,10) for pens with multi-point calibration. And, never use distilled water for storage of a PH pen.

See,

Also, see

https://www.quora.com/When-measuring-the-pH-of-distilled-water-why-do-I-often-get-a-reading-of-a-pH-of-8-or-9-is-the-probe-new-and-calibrated-correctly

2 Likes

@Northern_Loki I’m trying to calibrate an cheap ph pen. I have the 4.0 and 6.86 buffer, but lack proper water to dissolve it in.

I’m educating my at the moment :slight_smile:

Also, I have a TDS pen. So I guess I’m way off regarding my earlier measurements where I believed the TDS pen measured ppm ?! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I just bought a gal. of distilled water. I needed a “clean” jug for a comprehensive analysis of my well water. I tested the DH2O for the hell of it… 7.2 pH, .453 EC. I’ve tested WallyWorld’s DH2O too, 8.4 pH. You never know what you’ll get.

As I understand it, TDS is displayed as ppm. But it’s based on EC (electrical conductivity). Each mfrs. pen has a built-in factor to convert EC to ppm. $.02

2 Likes

Yeah it should be at the grocery store with the water in a gallon jug for about $1.
One thing I was going to try next time I wish I had done before was to mix the buffer solution and keep it in a jar. Just use a little at a time to calibrate and keep the rest for later calibrationsđź‘Ť

2 Likes

@Hashtree Yeah, keep them in two bottles, and use it when needed.

I’m getting ph-strips later today. I hope it not too late…

1 Like

Is it to Mutch wather or is it to Mutch food or to warm??? Panik atack now whan 50 % of the plants look like this .pleas someone

Exactly.
I use pint jars…

1 Like