DIY CalMag+ (using eggshells and molasses)

I am glad that it helped you out. Also, any type of molasses will normally contain some trace amounts of sulphur, it’s just the sulphur dioxide that is not added, no sulphur is removed in the making of unsulphured molasses.

4 Likes

Awesome thanks, i had always read simply dont use sulphured but never knew why, have a problem child yellowing at top ph is ok,used chelated iron foliar helped the smallest bit, thought maybe sulf. if you hadnt of explained that i would of had a problem with that one, and that the wifes upcoming bd strain. always helps me to know why.

3 Likes

Thanks for the post monkeyman. I knew the process with the egg shells, but did not know abiut the molasses. We have chickens that are starting to lay, so I’ve been saving shells. The lining comes out much easier with these egss than anything from the store as well.

1 Like

I have some crab shell meal and was thinking of doing this process with it as a substitute for the eggshells. May do half and half of each.

2 Likes

crab shell meal would definitely work, just be sure to pan fry it first

mmm mmm good eating

3 Likes

lobster compost from coast of maine is great stuff! mix half and half with promix and let it rock!

5 Likes

raisin jack ain’t shit til you add some mushrooms…last guy did a a full 12 oz glass and pole vaulted both sets of razor wire

2 Likes

Does this look right? It’s been brewing since 01/30.

3 Likes

I hope so.

3 Likes

Looks like you need more acid added to dissolve your shells the rest of the way. Personally I’m finding that I like a mix of vinegar and fresh lime juice. That way you have both acetates and citrates forming, both are chelators that hold I believe 3 metal ions each. I have not had any mold problems but, YMMV.

Lime juice has the added benefit of enzymes and antioxidants too

5 Likes

Mine before and after filtration to remove remaining sediments. I also add a bit of iron filings to mine. 12g of egg shells to 1 gram iron filings. 1 quart white vinegar and 1 quartfresh lime juice. Let sit 2 weeks. Add molasses if you want, but I add it when I brew my teas.

Using the iron filings will add iron II citrate/acetate. You can check to see if its there by adding a little hydrogen peroxide, it turns it a bright yellow color.

After adding hydrogen peroxide it changes to the distinct calmag color. But, the green Iron II is a more usable form than the yellow Iron III form. So this is just how to test for the presence of Iron II.

7 Likes

I never knew that everything was supposed to be dissolved. The directions say to strain after a few weeks.

2 Likes

I also only use 2 egg shells. They way I see it, if it all dissolves, then I know how much is in there. If it doesn’t, I don’t know whats in it. If there’s sediment left I just add more new vinegar/ lime juice mix to it until it dissolves. Then combine

1 Like

I just let it bubble until it stopped bubbling and then decanted off the liquid.

3 Likes

Thank you for this information! Just what I was looking for sir!

I read somewhere that citric and malic acid plus eggshells results in a water soluble calcium salt that is readily bio available. It’s been on my list of to do experiments for ever, thanks for the excellent post giving me a nudge :pray:

1 Like