Home made cal mag?

I don’t like paying 20 bucks a jug, if I can make it myself-

Anyone have a successful recipe?

5 Likes

I’ll cook one up on hydrobuddy later if nobody chimes in. If you get some calcium nitrate and magnesium nitrate, that’s pretty much all there is. Maybe a small amount of preservative like sodium benzoate.

8 Likes

I had to Google hydrobuddy-

Thanks for sharing :+1:

3 Likes

It’s a great tool. Takes a little time to learn, but I’ve used it on many occasions.

4 Likes

I used the search feature and typed diy cal mag.

9 Likes

I use WCA(water soluble calcium) which is made from eggshells and vinegar for my calcium and Epsom salts for magnesium, if you are interested I can post a link on how to make the WCA :v:t4:

10 Likes

You should just call it by its chemical name, calcium acetate. I like to make calcium citrate, since citratic acid is what roots make as a chelator. And I think citrates actually hold onto more molecules than acetates. This is basically a cleaned up, weighed and measured WCA (such a horrible name) using lime juice instead of vinegar.

Add some iron filings in, I do 1 gram iron dissolved into 1/2 c lime juice, then 36 grams (about 6) egg shells, then 140 grams epsom salt (its only actually 1/7 magnesium) into the rest of my quart of lime juice, add the epsom after dissolving the shells. Charring them isn’t needed, the shells are primarily CaCO3, the citric or acetic acid is more than strong enough to break those bonds releasing CO2 and O2. The lime juice has some nice natural simple sugars in it as well. Then use just like calmag.

If you add the iron, its in a more usable state than the calmag you buy. Its Iron II, most calmag has Iron III. You can test by taking some of this homemade calmag, putting it in a clear vessel and dripping a few drops of H2O2 into it. It should turn from a greenish hue to yellow. You just confirmed the presence of Iron II in solution. If you make just Iron II citrate it works amazingly as a foliar spray to green your plants up

11 Likes

Please share-

I appreciate everyone’s input…

2 Likes

I made my own.

I went back to store bought because I could never be sure of dose.

Good luck and all the best.

1 Like
3 Likes

Yeah, thats why I measure whats going in.