How to Make Water Soluble Calcium! (WSCa)

Taken from master cho’s NF book!

Calcium is as important to plants as it is to humans. It is one of
the most common substances in the world next to oxygen and
silicon and the majority of calcium exists in the form of
calcium carbonate (CaCO3). In Natural Farming, calcium
carbonate is extracted from egg shells in which calcium
carbonate is the main component by using brown rice vinegar.
Through this process, calcium carbonate is changed to watersoluble
calcium, which can be quickly absorbed by the crop.
It prevents overgrowth of crops, hardens the fruit, prolongs
storage period, promotes absorption of phosphoric acid and
helps crops to accumulate nutrients. Calcium in water soluble
form is efficient and effective in natural farming. Eggshells
are very cost-effective materials for WS-Ca. - Master Cho

Characteristics of Calcium

1. Calcium contributes to better utilization of carbohydrates
    and protein. It is the major component in forming cell
    membranes and enables smooth cell division.
  2. Calcium removes harmful substances in the body by
    binding with organic acids.
  3. Calcium prevents crops from overgrowing.
  4. Calcium makes fruits firm and prolongs the storage
    period.
  5. Calcium promotes absorption of phosphoric acid and is
    responsible for nutrient accumulation in the crop.
  6. Calcium plays a very important role in maintaining the
    health of the plant.
  7. Calcium carries and accumulates nutrients for e.g.,
    carbohydrate, which are temporarily stored in branches
    and in leaves till the final storage organ for e.g., ovary
    through physiological activity

How to make WSCa
Items needed: eggshells/seashells
crushing tool
brown rice vinegar (can use apple or wine)
large jar

1. If using eggshells you want to take the inside skin out and crush them into small pieces about 1/8-1/4 inch in size. if using oyster shells crush them also if not already crushed. you can use oyster shell powder if you want but i like mine to be cleaner and the shells are easier to strain.
  2. Lightly roast the eggshells to remove any organic matter that can rot. You dont have to roast oyster shells unless you are harvesting them from the ocean yourself.
  3. Put your choice of shells in the large jar. ratio of 1:5 shells:vinegar ex. 1 cup shells 5 cups vinegar (make sure the jar is large. it will bubble A LOT)
  4. Add the vinegar slowly so you dont bubble over the top of the jar. the shells will start reacting a lot and instantly.
  5. Once there are no more bubbles try stirring a bit to see if there is any more action. if not add a little more shells to see if its fully saturated.
  6. Strain, jar, label. Add more vinegar to see if you can get any more out of the shells.

To use the WSCa dilute 1:1000/4ml per gal

When to use

1. Several WS-Ca completed separately may be mixed in
    order to enhance the effect of calcium.
  2. WS-Ca is very effective in the cross-over period when the
    growth of crop changes from vegetative to reproductive
    growth.
  3. Spray WS-Ca on the leaves several times after the fruits
    have become large to some degree. Spraying WS-Ca
    prevents plants from overgrowing and yields solid fruits.
  4. WS-Ca leads nutrients to be accumulated in flower buds
    and fruits. As a result, the flower buds become strong, can
    prepare for high yields the following year and harvest
    solid and substantial fruits that year as well
  5. WS-Ca has an effect of improving the taste and fragrance
    of the fruit when it is used with water-soluble calcium
    phosphate, oriental herbal nutrient (OHN), fermented
    plant juice(FPJ) and sea-water.
  6. Use WS-Ca when the plants overgrow.
  7. Use WS-Ca when the initial growth of the crop is poor.
  8. Use WS-Ca when the leaves discolor and lack luster
  9. Use WS-Ca when the flower buds have poor
    differentiation.
  10. Use WS-Ca when the physiological drop is severe.
  11. Use WS-Ca when fruit enlargement is slow
  12. Use WS-Ca when the sugar content decreases.
  13. WS-Ca helps in the transition from vegetative to
    reproductive growth. It is also effective when crops are
    overgrown, leaves have bad color or no luster, floral
    differentiation is weak, flower blossoms just fall, fruits do
    not ripen, fruits are not sweet and crops are nitrogen excessive.
    However, WS-Ca should not be given when
    vigorous vegetative growth is needed.
13 Likes

Nice addition to the site. Thank you.

2 Likes

as i make each of my knf inputs i will put them up. next one is OHN oriental herbal nutrient.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTMRfwClMlG/

The best property of calcite is the acid test. Why? Because calcite always will effervesce (bubble) when even cold weak acids are placed on specimens. Even the cement in sandstones will effervesce assuring the geologist of identification of the cementing mineral. The reason for the bubbling is in the formula below:

CaCO3 + 2H(+1) -------> Ca(+2) + H2O + CO2 (a gas)

The carbon dioxide gas (CO2) is given off as bubbles and the calcium dissolves in the residual water. Any acid, just about, can produce these results, but dilute hydrochloric acid or vinegar are the two recommended acids for this test. Other carbonates such as dolomite or siderite do not react as easily with these acids as does calcite and this leads to differentiating these somewhat similar minerals more readily.

6 Likes

I need vigorous veg growth for my plants so it would only make sense to use this method during flowering. Right?

I am curious why you think calcium is not good for veg?

I was just reading the post and it said that calcium helped over growing and it was not recommended for plants that need vigorous veg growth

Calcium is needed for veg and flower and will stop growth in the plant and stop a lot of enzymatic processes in the soil when not available. Too much calcium locks out nutrients as salts (calcium phosphate) and will fluctuate PH. I believe they are talking about blossom end rot in tomatoes. Not enough calcium retards fruit growth and all energy is put into the leaves and stalks.

2 Likes

I can only find this statement in context to this in this site http://cgnfindia.com/wsca.html. No where do they say what it means. I don’t know what it means for a plant to overgrow and am not worried about it to be honest.

he is right. using the calcium will help with the stretch and with over grown plants (over vegged). i use it when they are big enough to flower and i get very very little stretch.

2 Likes

No offense intended. I didn’t know what the term “overgrowing” meant. I don’t think i claimed right or wrong. The terminology is confusing i think. A plant normally overgrows a pot. A plant overgrowing itself is a little confusing which led to my search for meaning.

2 Likes

no worries brother:) were all just learning

1 Like

After a day of searching this is the best answer i can come up with. WCA is water soluble calcium. I wish there was a tested method. Everything i find relies on blind faith in the author. A radioactive isotope bound to the calcium would allow you to tell where the calcium is going and where it is stored.

How to use WCA
This WCA is effective in converting plants life cycle from vegetative to reproductive growth. Natural Farmers spray WCA on the leaves after the fruits have become large. They prevent over growth and make a sweet hard fruit.
WCA strengthens the flower bud, you will get good fruits this year and big yield next year. Use with water soluble calcium phosphate,false acacia FPJ, OHN, sea water you will have better aroma fruits.
As crop enter their later stages of the life cycle they need calcium,salt and variety of minerals. Calcium and salt are very important for their health.
To disregard this aspect and focus on only NPK is wrong. And side-effects are seen everywhere.
Calcium moves carbohydrate from body(leaf and branch) to the storage organs(fruit).It is effective when crops have overgrown,leaves have bad color or no shine,floral differentiation is weak,flower blossoms just fall,fruits don’t ripe,or the fruits are not sweet.

2 Likes

Keep studyin bro. Youll make the switch soon. Your orange creamsicle will never taste better!

I’m currently trying this ferment using eggshells… I’m past the bubbling and have jarred and capped it a few days ago. How long until I can use it?? I need it yesterday,(piss poor planning)…

2 Likes

Try a drop or two on some baking soda… if it bubbles then it’s acidic, use with care.
If it doesn’t bubble then it’s Water with Calcium fully absorbed.

Can you use it? I do… There is an input for Brown Rice Vinegar and I treat it as part
of the WCA that isn’t completed and don’t add any of that input.
4ml per gallon isn’t too much, go for Half and give it a try.

2 Likes

You can use it right away. If you did it proper youll know its fully diluted and wont need to do the above posters tip.

1 Like

Ok awsome that’s great news. Just flipped em 5 days ago… Also with the 2 gallon , smart, pots lol, will I need to top dress amendments again before finishing?? They appear beautiful and from what I understand, my cover crop mulch in tandem with canna mulch should recycle all nutrients available continually? First no-till, no bottle grow, indoor… Thanks so much

2 Likes

Sorry to hit u with another question before u get a chance to answer the first, but my outs are suffering… One has severe fertilizer burn and some of the others too are beginning to show signs of burn. I did quite a bit of top dressing during veg, a little too excited about ROLS I suppose, and I know that can’t be reversed but is there anything that will help? I tried flushing, water only, and have given only water for 10 days, foliar aloe once in ten days, inoculated LAB, and topped with Local castings yesterday. Would humic or fulvic help?

1 Like