Leaves changing colors

20221204_200940
Light burn or something else?

4 Likes

Imagine e-mailing your doctor a selfie and expecting a diagnose. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

Twenty20 mendocino cosmo strain
Fox farms ocean forest soil
AC infinity ionboard S33 3 ft at 60%
Room is 70 degrees
Fabric pot and filtered water

3 Likes

Topwatering?

Yes, and misted

Get some trays or containers to put your pots in and water from the bottom.
Seems like not enough water is reaching the bottom of the soil.
Bottom watering also keeps topsoil dry decreasing chance of fungus gnats.

Consider companion crops, growing a diversity of crops in the same pot activates a larger amount of fungi and bacteria which help feed the cannabis also.

And this setup:

For mulch, apart from kitchenscraps, you can use grass clippings, tree leaves, dandelion leaves, nettles, thistles, … they also contain all the minerals you need.

Works great for me and it’s the cheapest, most care free method I could come up with.

2 Likes

So, it’s dry then?

Looks like it.

You water close to the stem in the middle, right?
So you have only the center of the soil moist enough, the roots are growing and expanding and find only dry soil on the periphery, so they stop expanding.
Bottom watering ensures the water is more spread out throughout the soil as it will act like a wick.

At this stage you can water every day, or every other day, a full saucer.
Don’t water when the saucer is still wet from the day before.

3 Likes

I did until recently.

So the problem with posting this kind of stuff in a forum is every person is going to give you a different opinion depending on their “experience”. Ultimately hard to get a real answer. Better I think to work through the steps of diagnosing the issue yourself. Here are the general progressions I would recommend going through to diagnose a plant issue.

1. check watering. There are two general easy techniques. Put your finger in the dirt. If you can feel moisture, any moisture it’s good. If it’s dry water. Personally I prefer checking the weight. Lift the pot and see how heavy it is. Night and day difference between a wet pot and a dry pot. Wait till it’s nice and light and then water. If watering seems appropriate move on.

2. check your pH. pH issues are the most common reason for nutrient issues. Adjust pH if needed and then see how the plant reacts.

3. check the ppm of your runoff. A high ppm may be causing lockout which is again a common problem. If it’s very low you may need to increase feeding.

4. at this point your moving into complex issues. Things to identify. Where is the damage? Bottom moving up? Up moving down? Or all over? Also how the leaves are discoloring will be important in identifying the issue. Usually looking at the marks and knowing how the issue is moving will allow for it to be identified.

Hope this gets you on your way. :v:

5 Likes

kinda looks like the soil is a bit hot for the plant, nitrogen blocking the mag… ph should be ok ocean forest has stabilizers in it. Have you fed any nutrients?

Ground eggshells, and thats it

what kinda water are you feeding with? Do you know the ph?

1 Like

I use FFOF and it’s always K deficient (like every single time) Dark veins, yellowing edges and tips, clawing leaves… potassium is my bet

2 Likes

Even in hot compost, egg shells take months and months to become bioavailable. This isn’t what I think is the issue, but you’re basically just putting trash in your soil to sit there. Again, that isn’t the worst thing, but you shouldn’t count on it to add any nutrient or mineral content.

1 Like

yeahthatsign

In my “experience”… It take a bit of experience to control moisture when you have a small plant in a much larger pot.

Can’t go wrong with some bottom watering goodness! “I would start here (H²O Only)”

yeahthatsign

Ya…ya… I know…I still tend to slip a finger in there just to see every now and then

FFOF is a said to be a little hot but IDK as your plants size looks like it could handle some FFOF. chin

IONBOARD S33 AC-IBS33

The AC-IBS33 lighting guide is silly!
Looks like Veg is either 2ft @ 100% or 1.5 @ 80%…
Either way I would lower the light and turn it up a bit…After you start the bottom watering regimen.

See if you can dial in your humidity between ( 50°- 56°) (pulsegrow VPD)

As stated, you will be getting all kinds of “what to do’s” but If this was sitting in my tent I would start with controlling the H²O (Bottom Water). goodluck

2 Likes

Will try that

Ocean forest has been too hot for most seeds I’ve planted.

You underestimate fungi and bacteria my friend. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The more balanced and diverse the soil is, the faster it breaks everything down, that’s why I use companioncrops and mulch, the key is to diversify the input, the more different stuff you throw at it (kitchenscraps, treeleaves, dandelion, grassclippings), including eggshells the faster it all becomes available, fungi grow at lighteningspeed, once they find eggshell, they start feeding a specific type of bacteria to produce the enzymes necessary to break down the eggshell.

And eggshell, like all bones is designed like a sponge, fungi spreads throughout it in a manner of hours. The transferring begins immediately, and the plant doesn’t need all the calcium at once, just little bits continually.

That being said, eggshells alone, without any other mulch or companion crops would be slow to become available indeed.

It’s having as many different species of plants, insects, bacteria and fungi alive all at once that creates soil fertility.

Can prolly slow down on watering in that big of pot. Raise the lights and drop a couple hours off the light cycle. Ocean forest can be a little hot but it is manageable. The above will stretch the plant out a tad bit wants that, and direct more energy to root growth it wants that too, enabling it to buffer out a bit better. Stop misting, falls under the category of loving it to death.