Do plants need silicon? How is it used by plants? Can we make our own silicon products at home?

I’ve been using AgSil 16h for a long time and really believe in it. Especially in potted soil applications. If you’re using ProMix type of a base, plus whatever else you are used to using with it, then it’s a powerful amendment and I think it does a lot of what they say it does, like build stronger cell walls that produces a better defense against pest and fungi/mildew. It’s supposed to boost flower growth as well and overall plant strength and health. Highly recommend it. peace

2 Likes

I’ve never actually used silica as something to grow plants. I would create a silica cement to keep the root maggots out of the cauliflower. Diatomaceous earth and water.

1 Like

I found Wollastinite (W-10), a calcium metasilicate (CaSiO3), composition of 48.3% calcium oxide and 51.7% silicon dioxide but may contain trace to minor amounts of aluminum, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, and sodium.

I have been adding ~ 1gr/gallon to my reservoir tank. Plants seem to like it. it was rather cheap, 5lb for $5.5 at this pottery supply place:

:green_heart:

:dove:

3 Likes

Thanks for the link! :grinning:
Sounds pretty cheap.

I have not used this yet, although it is highly recommended.
What is the PH of this product?
How does it dissolve?
Are there any special instructions while adding directly to your Rez.?

Thanks again
shag

its a powder. I dont think it dissolves much.I have a fluming pump in the rez. My tap was is 5.6-5.8. after jack’s nutrients+W-10 my Ph was 6.4. I mix the nutes in half liter of hot water. jacks first, mix to dissolve, then 1gr each of epsom/gypsum/W-10 per gallon. I removed gypsum 3 weeks ago when I got the W-10.

1 Like

I use silica as a alternative to Ph up, I’ve tried it in higher concentrations but I couldn’t see any benefits.
https://www.potsil.com/
I use this silica, it’s only a half litre but it’s 4-5x more concentrated than growth technology with a few other ingredients added.
https://www.potsil.com/technical

2 Likes

Just be careful doing this once your nutes are in the mix already.
Concentrated silica can cause the water to cloud up, and that is elements falling out of the solution.

2 Likes

@shag I have to rinse my nute mixing jugs every time using Armor Si. Wasn’t as bad with Protekt, but still went in 1st. Try an experiment with some water soluble gypsum. You can watch it fall out of suspension. Looked like cottage cheese.

1 Like

With all the benifits using silica , in flower will this in turn effect taste of the buds ?

3 Likes

I had not noticed that effect myself.
I would personally taper down the closer you get to harvest.
It is a good idea to stop most any treatment 3 weeks before you plan to harvest.

2 Likes

I’m going to make an assumption. If you use Silicon, I would think it isn’t the only salt type add being used. Without extensive testing, how do you know which add affects taste?

1 Like

While very true, you could just do a simple side by side experiment with a control plant to determine if silicon will alter the taste of the buds.

2 Likes

I go easy on myself. Ive been tapering off silicon last couple weeks anyways. Followed shortly by the rest of my nutes about week 7-8. Save a nickel, spend it on something fun. Like more seeds.

2 Likes

Silica will enhance bud flavor.

It’s displacing any carbonate in the trichome wall. Any carbonate in the trichome will become active and neutralize acids (flavor effect and aroma molecules). The plant can strip the carbon from carbonate and build carboxylic acids as long as it’s not being used to build cell walls. Silica keeps carbonate out of cell walls, and allows its carbon to be used for carboxylic acids. Silicate does not neutralize acids. You can watch this happen under a microscope. We are trying to build glands of acids, not stalks of carbonate.

5 Likes

@Neopetal

Nice one!
Thank you for sharing!
Very interesting statement.
You blinded me with science…LOL
If you have any links to share, that could be helpful to me and some others.

Folks round here don’t seem to care about things like organic chemistry or even botany they tend to stick with the so-called Bro science.
They may even say silly things like…
Who needs Botany and science when growing plants?

You lay some real life science on them and they waffle. :rofl:
Some don’t even understand why they are able to grow good weed.
When/if asked why they do what they do, most respond with…“Well jimmy does it and he grows the best weed I have ever smoked”… :thinking:

They are simply following a playbook someone else has made for them.
Take away that playbook and most would be lost.
Some of these are the same folks that think they need 20-30 hydro-store bottles to grow cannabis.

Feelings today, seem to be more important than facts. :grimacing:

4 Likes

Monkey see. Monkey do. Tends to work to some degree until there’s a real problem. Then the monkey’s lost. Resorts to “bro science” and has no idea what worked or didn’t work.
I’ve done my time as a monkey. Not great, but a start. Pick good monkeys to mimic. Moving on.

2 Likes

Talk is cheap, nothing states i know what I’m doing better than a photo?

Can’t smoke a photo. That’s all that really matters to me, not what it looks like

1 Like

Pictures can be deceiving.
May I ask if you have a smoked a frosty bub that just doesn’t get you that high?
A plant high in CBD and low in THC can and will look really potent, but it is not.

Here is an example of this, it looks good but found to be lacking.

The green bud had a better high.
What good does a photo do there?

Good point, just cause it looks good does not mean it is good.
Anyway, @Star_Dog seems like you are wanting to see what I grow as proof I know what I am talking about.

This was grown outside with osmocote.

Some indoor, not quite finished yet.

5 Likes

Nice research and DIY review post @shag I do love my AgSil and I’ve been using this too for the heck of it, it’s local to me and a reclaimed byproduct of drilling wells and foundations:

https://www.stoneddust.com/

2 Likes