Several "CalMag" products compared

Hi.

Before giving your opinion on whether or not “CalMag” products are needed, or when they are needed, note that I’m just looking at the ingredients in these ones, to compare them. I’m not “new” to this product, I used it (GH version) long ago when I was a noob and DWC growing, I’ve just never really done a coco coir grow, and now I am.

First, this will probably benefit anyone who’s interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ-iCBhbnvI. Now that that’s out of the way. (By the way, bookmark Daniel’s channel, and bookmark his website/blog too. Incredible amounts of useful information. He is the creator of “Hydrobuddy”)

Below will be links for four random “CalMag” products. The one I chose, long ago, was GH CaliMagic, because it had the lowest nitrogen content, relatively.
Scroll to Section 3 of the SDSs to see the composition/ingredients of the products (GH product has the ‘derived from’ on the label link.)

Emerald Harvest Calmag 2-0-0:
SDS

Diablo Monster Cal 2-0-0 (Scroll down to product):
SDS
COA (Is that Sodium level high… or no?)

Remo Nutrients Magnifical 3-0-0:
SDS

General Hydroponics CaliMagic 1-0-0:
SDS
Label

Some thoughts. Correct me if I’m wrong, as always, with any of this post.:

-GH product uses calcium carbonate (“derived from”). It’s not water soluble (not in a manner that I’m aware of), so I don’t know how they do that.
GreenGenes is currently using calcium sulfate, also not really ‘water soluble’, not fully…right.

-Diablo Nutrients seems like a bit of a joke. Maybe they were at the gym, working on their biceps, and thought “bro, we could totally make some weed nutes”. It’s just calcium nitrate and magnesium sulfate. So they’re selling high priced water with dirt cheap, fully water soluble salts in it.

-Remo Nutrients has the highest nitrogen content, and other than that, meh.

I don’t have a price comparison on these products, and that’d be an important factor as well - along with rate of application required to achieve similar levels (elemental ppm) of actual calcium and magnesium (and other stuff).
I think I would still choose the GH product of these four compared.

Then ingredients I don’t already have on hand are the acetate products, calcium nitrate, the iron products, and the calcium carbonate.
Oh - I do have some fancy calcium product (dry) I got from CHN a while back along with other inputs for making diy custom fertilizer blends. I’ll have to check what that is later.

If you have something to add, or comment on, feel free.

11 Likes

I like my cal mag with added iron and like yourself low n

6 Likes

Been using this and it has worked well so far!

8 Likes

I’ve been using advanced nutrients Sensi Calmag Xtra, has been fantastic but not liking it in late flower due to 4-0-0. Used at 1ml per 1L (half the bottle recommendation)

Growing in coco/perlite

4 Likes

I stopped using Cal-Mag for the most part and just use Epsom salt and tap water. I see lots of debates about this product so this should be an interesting thread…Put it on watch :slight_smile:

11 Likes

What are the percentages of ca an mg ?

Might be better than gh as same but with added iron plus micro’s
Buuut twice the concentration ( value for money )

2 Likes

You asking @OhNo555, re: bloom city brand?

I use 3 to 5ml once every 10 to 14 days when I water and I am under a 480W LED full spectrum light for anyone that wants to know.:wink::sunglasses::peace_symbol:

Is everyone here who are using a CalMag product growing in coco?

5 Likes

I use botanicare cal mag. In soil.

1 Like

Me too when I was using it, that stuff always did me right and it doesn’t smell bad either

1 Like

I used bushdoctor cal mag for years. I phased it out for Diamond K Gypsum a month ago. Mega Crop 2 part has all the Cal and Mag I need though. Diamond K is what’s up. :100:

4 Likes

It works but I’m tired of buying it, I was talking with @ColeLennon about that diamond k product. Was trying to figure out what it was, going to be placing a order for bulk soon. I go through a bottle every bud run of the botanicare. I hate having to drop 20 bucks a run on a single nutrient. I also use MC 2 part. This last run I used the one part. It worked well.

5 Likes

I’m loving the gyspum. My plants dialed in the green with the quickness using it. :100:

5 Likes

You had me sold on it when we were talking about it man…

3 Likes

I’m glad I switched. Solid move.

2 Likes

So are you guys talking about a particular brand of Calcium Sulfate (the diamond k stuff)?

3 Likes

Talking about the diamond k product.

1 Like

I’ve done some limited testing with calcium chloride, and it’s fine. Cannabis can tolerate a surprisingly high amount of chloride without problems.

Cannabis does not usually need more nitrogen than what is provided by fertilizer brands. In my opinion, nitrogen is the most over-applied fertilizer, but most anions end up wasted anyway. Nitrate just has more negative toxic effects than phosphate or sulfate. A calcium nitrate + magnesium nitrate product is not something I’d buy as an additive to other fertilizers.

“Calmag” products should really only be used for soft water correction. If your water already has a decent amount of calcium and magnesium, then something else is wrong.

10 Likes
2 Likes