Do we need non-cannabis categories in 2020?

Nuke them both. Just a place for people to be hatefull without consequence.

6 Likes

Unless youā€™re regularly keeping an eye on what goes on in there, sometime the larger picture is not evident. There have been positive conversions and conclusions in the tank as well (notably exception perhaps ā€“ politics) with outcomes that serve the greater community well.

It has successfully worked in many cases to cool folk off. It also works to help shape what types of discussions and behaviors are deemed acceptable across the greater forum. It has been a place to complain and blow off steam, sometimes becoming humorous. It has worked successfully across many examples with those involved eventually returning to their normal selves in the greater forum. Occasional complaints and arguing are a part of normal human behavior, they are usually resolved over a short time span. Blowing off steam is also important. And, misunderstandings sometimes can only be resolved in such a way.

Although, those who take it to an final conclusion without some give and take become a problem to the community. The community, moderators, and leaders can determine who may become a problem without appearing as though they are being overly heavy handed. The few who end-up completely off the rails and those that are not able to integrate end-up banning themselves by effect. These are the trolls, the loud mouths, the emotionally unstable.

It is also serves as something of a moderator ā€œwarningā€ and, believe it or not, a deescalation event. It is a stepped response for when things go ā€œwrongā€ or for the unexpected. If the leaders move a topic into the sharkā€™s tank, it is intended to stay there. Take it out of the tank after that point, it can become a cause for action. Most seem to get the ā€œhintā€ eventually. Those who donā€™t (the trolls) are eventually shown the door. If questioned as to ā€œwhyā€ by their peers, a regular occurrence, the evidence is there for them to understand (doing this behind closed doors leads to even more battles).

The community largely acts like adults. We have shown the world that our community is reasonable and level headed. Conversations are helpful, polite, insightful and contribute towards the community as a whole. But on occasion, weā€™ll have an individual thatā€™ll show up whoā€™s only intent is to create discord or they are pushing an agenda. The sharks tank, in that way, serves both as a training and as a proving ground on what is acceptable.

If the raw emotion and sight of the ā€œothersideā€ is troubling, try to stay in the general forum. The tank helps keep the overall forum a relatively positive place.

Although, in reality, everyone needs to take a peek at the dark side every now and then :laughing:

13 Likes

I vote they donā€™t go there?

I donā€™t spend a lot of time in the Tank but feel itā€™s 100% necessary to OG. Canā€™t defend it with reason or brains at the moment. Sorry. :slight_smile: :smoking: :sunrise:

:evergreen_tree:

8 Likes

Is anyone being forced to post in unmoderated sections?

I can see if it bleeds out into the shallow end, then it should be stopped there. But itā€™s kind of boring to have a community that ONLY talks about weed. Cannabis cultivation is just the mortar.

4 Likes

I like the corona virus thread.

I donā€™t use social media so this is my Facebook.

Itā€™s nice to get my virus news in one place instead of being bombarded by it constantly everywhere.

As long as it stays civil I say let the non-cannabis threads stay.

7 Likes

I think this is the only time you and I have disagreed. Thats ok. You would be too weird if you agreed with me 100% :wink:

3 Likes

Do we need non-cannabis categories in 2020?

All of the reasons that have been suggested in favor of getting rid of these categories, are exactly the reasons we need them. It segregates the less refined material and allows people on both sides of the fence a little breathing room.

As far as the trolls. They get relegated to the shark tank and their audience gets limited, I think they run out of steam faster than if they were causing havoc in the general population

5 Likes

That didnā€™t slow ole trust fund grower silver surfer down any lol people get aggravated now and then and need a place to vent exactly whatā€™s on their mind. It keeps it off the regular forum. Iā€™m guilty of going off for no better reason than the stress of life getting to me, Iā€™m sure everyone else is the same.

1 Like

Even though I go to neither place, to be a well rounded, I think both should stay.
If I do not like a thing, I do not participate with it.
There are rules that suck, but I understand it.
I got a time out many years ago, due to posting a PM sent to me by and unknown member, asking me to donate gear to them. I told them no interest.
They kept it up, I posted it in Shark Tank, asking if anyone else was getting site mites on them.
I got the bounce, but it stopped the PMā€™s.
I did not hate on MiaStoner for what they had to do, I knew the rules.
All Iā€™m saying, with such a huge amount of diversity here, keep fight club, and the stoner speakeasy. IMHO.

2 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: My free speech is freedom

Well, I agree it is sometimes difficult to discern what is freedom speech and what is out of limits, that is mods concern, not us. I find this ā€œmuteā€ tool quite interesting, maybe it is a good way to avoid quarrels. In Spain weā€™ve got a saying: ā€œOjos que no ven, corazĆ³n que no sienteā€, less attractive in English: ā€œEyes that doesnā€™t see, heart that doesnā€™t feelā€.

Itā€™s clear that we cannot ALL get along well, so before going ahead in the wrong path, use this marvelous tool, peace and cheers everyone ā€¦ beer3|nullxnull

3 Likes

I like smokerā€™s lounge and also legal questions should be valid, but I wasnā€™t even aware of the politics sub forum.

So, Iā€™d say yes, but fuck politics.

3 Likes

I honestly think that there should be a mission statement for us all. Then that way way we can have a way we would like things to look. Is your post cannabis related? Ok itā€™s cool. Is your post horticulture related? Itā€™s cool. Is your post a personal project**? Ok itā€™s cool. **= (We may have to say no religious or political please) or something like that. But we should work hard on getting something together.

1 Like