Do you re-use your medium? (soil)

read a article about re-using soil -" One should cut up the roots from harvested plants and add them to soil: reason the root microganizism are sky-high so don’t throw away these living cultures" Never really did this because of the “salts” left behind after one’s grow. Thoughs ??? new medium can cost $50.00 + depending on brand (FF oc ean blend/happy frog)

12 Likes

Yes, I reuse. Over and over and over again. It only gets better with age.

7 Likes

Thanks !! soil you use ?

2 Likes

What kind of nutrients do you use? 100% you can/should reuse your medium when you can

2 Likes

Mix of Happy Frog, Ocean Forest, Dr Earth Homegrown Potting soil, Worm Castings, Coco Coir chips, rock dust (Elemite, Basalt, Glacial, Decomposed Granite). I re-amend with dry amendments between cycles.

But there are soil “experts” here, and they are not me, so keep digging. :wink:

9 Likes

reuse, i just add fresh wormcastings and dry soil fertz and keep on trucking, only gets better!

3 Likes

Currently me and a few others have some no-till/living soil grow diaries going on where we continuously will be growing in the same raised beds, tubs, bins pots etc with the same soil. When done right, its the best way to go for sure. :+1:

5 Likes

If you’re using synthetic nutes, you’ll get a salt buildup leading to pH problems and nute lock, but if you’re using organic matter reusing is the way! Like others have said, re-amend (compost, ewc, manure, etc) and your soul just keeps getting better!

5 Likes

In no-till method you feed the soil and not the plants.

Currently I’ve a 250l no-till bed and just add a little wormcast, neem cake, and bokashi, so its ready to start a new cycle.

Over time the soil gets better and better

3 Likes

Look in to getting a few organic ammendments, maybe have a look at build a soil’s youtube or search the no till topics here. You won’t look back :seedling:

3 Likes

Indeed. Build a soil’s S1 and S2 10x10 youtube series and site is a good way to get a quick introductory.

2 Likes

We’ve been using Earth Dust organic dry amendments and have been super impressed with the results. Eventually want to do a comparsion with the same soil/ strain with Earth dust and Dr Earth and compare the results.

5 Likes

I would be interested in that grow log!

3 Likes

will check them out --thanks !!

1 Like

they have one on “Triacontanol” (podcast0y-tube) it’s a organic plant stimulator – many companies make this “chemicaly” Have gotten excellant results with this - everything I have read and seen + my own use have resulted in increased yields. Very easy to make: enzyme’s (spelled wrong) , alfala meal and kelp ( some put ash in it ) It’s worth to make (organicly) the time in re-guarde to the benefit’s, can get everything you need at Build-a-Soil Some time I use organic’s and some chemical nutrients that’s what stops me from re-using

1 Like

With at least 10% runoff there are not all that many salts left behind. Then there always is flushing them away. If they dissolved in water once they should again. I have reused coco many times but have soaked it and drained the water. I am using soil now and am using synthetic nutes with the soil as media but not depending on it to feed my plants but as a buffer for them. I will know more after this run but they are doing fine so far. I will know more after this run.

3 Likes

Keep me posted ! Great info - Yea ! a flush is sub-post to get rid of the extra salts - you are right- never thought of that - then some folks don’t flush at all !!

1 Like

I use our used soil and rootballs to grow veggies in our outdoor raised beds.

1 Like

My thread will have what happens.

I did something different, having bought bags of soil previously. I ordered a yard of soil for the yard :grin: and baked it in the oven (No way I am letting outdoor critters getting in, been through that.). Then mixed in some recycled bag grow media (think it was more peat based) that was baked and washed also. Yes, no microorganisms but you pick your battles. The water beaded up on first waterings but seems fine now and the plants are growing. I am used to a looser media (mainly coco) and it took a little to get used to watering and not having runoff right away. But at $25 a yard for soil and some perlite and peat I will give it a go. Will not be as fast growing as coco but that stuff aint cheap up here also.

2 Likes

Definitely I reuse a mixture of sunshine 4 and pro mix here is my recycle dirt pile . Don’t do a lot other than it gets cooked in the sun during the summer winter it hibernates .

6 Likes