What do you do with your used soil?

I make a big mulch pile. I also burn a lot of stuff not needed. I’m curious though what everyone else does with there used medium that can’t be reused?

12 Likes

Don’t use soil but all the branches from trimming end up heating the place in the wood stove. Not like I’m killing it with BTUs but it beats the dump and then the ash goes back in the ground.

12 Likes

That’s sweet I don’t have a wood burning stove inside but if I did. Well that’s how a lot of things would go bye bye haha

10 Likes

If it isn’t eaten or smoked, then it’s either burned or composted. :+1:

17 Likes

Rejuvenate it.
I’m not sure who’s recipe this is. But it was in my personal notes. I have not tried it yet.

Used Soil Recipe
• 40 gallons used soil
• 4 cups alfalfa meal
• 4 cups bone meal
• 4 cups kelp meal
• 4 cups powdered dolomite lime
• 30 pound bag of earthworm castings . . .
*OPTIONAL
• 4 cups of Greensand
• 4 cups of Rock Phosphate
• 4 cups of diatomaceous earth

28 Likes

usually goes out to compost. Have reused soil before when needed. Would love to rejuvenate it though

8 Likes

I’ve been reusing the same soil for at least 3 years by re amending it. Seems to get better every year. Just have to watch what you use and keep healthy happy soil in mind.

28 Likes

I shake off the coco/perlite that isn’t attached to the root ball, reuse it. Anything with too much roots either gets tossed in the dumpster or used for outdoor regular plant pots. Waste not, want not.

12 Likes

Used soil is dumped into a tote and amended with kitchen scraps, yard waste, LABS, sprouted seed teas, grains, dried molasses, fresh ewc, alfalfa, kelp, oyster shell, diatomaceous earth,

16 Likes

Used promix goes into a bag and gets used for my other flowers and vegetables in spring.

9 Likes

I do a few different things depending upon time of year, needs, ease of operation.

a. reammend and plant right in the old soil, 15 gallons or more. smaller pots get composted.
b. compost pile for truely used up stuff.
c. unleash a handfull of worms in a used up pot, 3 months later = pure ewc :wink:

15 Likes

Throw mine around the foundation of my house…water and rake to drain toward back lane.

7 Likes

I till mine into the veggie garden every year. Perlite is starting to become noticeable though haha

17 Likes

Yeah i do same. Just fill garden boxes. But yeah the perelite does draw attention. I put watermelons n sunflowers mints n stuff out every year so kinda masks why its there. Ppl just think i buy soil for the garden plots prob think i waste a lot of $ on it.

14 Likes

Lol…I didnt even think of the perlite. Neighbours probably think I’m an idiot…but better an idiot than an indoor farmer.
One of my neighbours is an old man…he’s a perfectionist…to the extreme! I was out back raking crushed eggshells into my raised bed…he comes over and starts chewing me out about raccoons and all this…lol…
Me: “okay, okay, Bruce…I’ll just toss the rest of these shells into the trash.”
Bruce: “Bah!! You cant do that! Raccoons are smart, they’ll get in there!!”
Me: “But, Bruce…where do you think everyone else puts their eggshells?”
Bruce: walks away grumbling about the neighbours cats
Lol…straight up reminds me of this guy…

14 Likes

I recieved about 60 gallons of topsoil. I have combined it with last season’s grow soil and plan to amend it all this way. It’s in an outdoor kids pool ATM. Probably aught to make any amendments before winter and let the worms do their thing.

8 Likes

In all honesty once you get good at amending the soil it’s better then new. The money you save not buying new dirt gets you alot of good organic ingredients to build your own super soil. I take maybe 4 inches out of the old pot and then add compost and a bunch of other goodies , mix in and plant about a month later. Once you haven’t 60plus yards of soil replacing it is not reasonable. Bout $6000 for that amount of soil. You could spend half that on amending and nutrients for the year and wind up with a way better garden.

17 Likes

Hi. I reuse my soil. Just keep adding proper amendments and soil just gets better. Someone told me to take a spade chop out stem - leaves roots and add soil to hole and plant since roots will just go back into soil. I haven’t tried it yet. I can’t find my spade. I wonder if a sharp machete would work?

14 Likes

Anything to cut the larger roots you cant pull up by hand. I get as much of the roots out as possible and normaly take the dirt from one pot and use it to fill a empty pot. That way all the dirt on the bottom ends up on the top, helps keep the perlite mixed evenly and helps aerate the soil

7 Likes

I re use it of course. Run I started today has the same soil as last 8 previous runs did!!!

14 Likes