Coco Coir: To re-use or not to re-use

That is the question…

I DO.

How about you? After a grow, I rinse my coco with really hot water in the shower. I run it a lot to clean the coco. So far, I’ve had good results. I mean coco is cheap but better to not waste if ya can. amirite?

Here’s an example of a healthy happy plant in recycled coco:

Stay Up Homies,
ya boy,

DankTank

14 Likes

Recycle mine as well just soak it in a big tot with hole s drilled all over to strain out the broken down coco and rebuffed with CaliMagic. So far been good to go!

4 Likes

I used to, but now I just chuck it in the compost bin and let the worms turn the root detritus into veggie garden compost. Coco’s cheap, and rehydrating a new block is way easier for me than cleaning up.:slight_smile:
Plus, it always seemed that the old coco would settle more. Made me think some of it’s O2 holding power was lost, but IDK.
I never buffer it anymore, either. I use extra Ca in the feeds, and have never seen a real Mg deficiency. Of course, my eyes suck!

3 Likes

Yea last run I did 50/50 probably do that or dump it all in the garden??

1 Like

I’ve started reusing it and haven’t noticed any difference. Except some mushrooms once that like eating old dead roots. I’m a chronic over waterer too, so that probably helped the mushrooms out. I also had a random delayed seed sprout in reused seed tray coco. Luckily I saw that coming, so it was used for uppotting a larger plant to avoid confusion.

I had to google these mushrooms. Apparently quite common in household plants.

1 Like

Ive used recycled coco for up to a year

1 Like

So I’m thinking about reusing some 70/30 coco from my last run. Does anyone have suggestions for any easy and/or effective way to remove the old tiny roots or should I not worry about them?

1 Like

I don’t re-use anymore, but when I did, I’d just get the big clumps out. Even that was too much bother, it all goes in the flower or veggie beds now. :slight_smile:

I think I remember @duke putting worms in his used coco. They ate all the roots.

1 Like

hi yes black bag it after pulling out the main stem and add a dozen or so earthworms,tie the top and just leave it for a few weeks and when you open the bag you have lovely clean coco now with a small charge of nutrients thanks to the worm doos and this is a most excellent medium for seedlings they love it!
there are commercial products enzymes etc that do the job quicker,but not better. worms rock.
best way i found is 50/50 reused and new coco for weed.
reused is great for your houseplants as well,my tina has about 150 cacti in my ex grow coco!good luck all

2 Likes