Do you re-use your medium? (soil)

I would be interested in that grow log!

3 Likes

will check them out --thanks !!

1 Like

they have one on “Triacontanol” (podcast0y-tube) it’s a organic plant stimulator – many companies make this “chemicaly” Have gotten excellant results with this - everything I have read and seen + my own use have resulted in increased yields. Very easy to make: enzyme’s (spelled wrong) , alfala meal and kelp ( some put ash in it ) It’s worth to make (organicly) the time in re-guarde to the benefit’s, can get everything you need at Build-a-Soil Some time I use organic’s and some chemical nutrients that’s what stops me from re-using

1 Like

With at least 10% runoff there are not all that many salts left behind. Then there always is flushing them away. If they dissolved in water once they should again. I have reused coco many times but have soaked it and drained the water. I am using soil now and am using synthetic nutes with the soil as media but not depending on it to feed my plants but as a buffer for them. I will know more after this run but they are doing fine so far. I will know more after this run.

3 Likes

Keep me posted ! Great info - Yea ! a flush is sub-post to get rid of the extra salts - you are right- never thought of that - then some folks don’t flush at all !!

1 Like

I use our used soil and rootballs to grow veggies in our outdoor raised beds.

1 Like

My thread will have what happens.

I did something different, having bought bags of soil previously. I ordered a yard of soil for the yard :grin: and baked it in the oven (No way I am letting outdoor critters getting in, been through that.). Then mixed in some recycled bag grow media (think it was more peat based) that was baked and washed also. Yes, no microorganisms but you pick your battles. The water beaded up on first waterings but seems fine now and the plants are growing. I am used to a looser media (mainly coco) and it took a little to get used to watering and not having runoff right away. But at $25 a yard for soil and some perlite and peat I will give it a go. Will not be as fast growing as coco but that stuff aint cheap up here also.

2 Likes

Definitely I reuse a mixture of sunshine 4 and pro mix here is my recycle dirt pile . Don’t do a lot other than it gets cooked in the sun during the summer winter it hibernates .

6 Likes

certainly reuse it and enrich it more and more seeee ps you must first sift before reusing it

3 Likes

You got the right idea for soil! Now that its cold season I might suggest adding some fireplace Ashe to the mix though :wink:

2 Likes

Recycle soils as much as u can and amend them as needed

1 Like

I do! Enough of me as waste!

1 Like

I also add a lot of dried seaweed since I am in an area by the sea besides coffee grounds and pulverized banana peels as well as inserting coconut balls under 20 percent and the rest all earth and perlite

1 Like

i use Down to Earth soil amendments. get a good soil to start, add in more organic fertilizer to build the soil food web.

3 Likes

Absolutely re use your soil. After one or two uses you should have pH levels and fert cycles down.

1 Like

Count me in as for soil recycling. Have had better grows ever since. Re-amend the soil and go and sometimes no til if the pot is bigger than 5 gal.

2 Likes

So if it’s pots and you want to reuse the soil,you just take all the roots out from the last plant,I usually bin my soil after each grow

1 Like

No till type folk leave the roots in. Apparently its no problem at all and the old roots actually aerate the soil and are beneficial!
This is what I’ve read

4 Likes

I grow in coco with synthetics and I reuse the coco all the time. I usually go 75/25 used/new. I also break it all up, and keep it moist in a bin and once most of the roots have broke down and it’s ready to use I just rinse it throughly through a radicle bag pot( perfect size mesh to let all the finer, more broken down material wash away)

If there are any residual salts left on it then it’s probably no longer soluble, not readily available to the plant, and have yet to cause me any issues.

1 Like

Thanks all members for your answers to post !!! – Never re-used soil because of “salts” - now that organic is cultivation method see no reason to buy new soil for “new” runs - generally spend $50.00 per = 3-4X’s comes to $200.00 per year for soil _way to much Did also read that if one uses chemical nutes with organic use “chemicals’” a few x’s during grow only - if that (will still use Massive Bloom) in flower during weeks 1-6 - total of 4-5x’s