Does anyone use stepwell soil?

I recently decided to switch from using a blend of promix, castings and various amendments that I had relatively good success with, to stepwell soil… I’m just curious to those that are familiar if it’s loaded with nutrients right out of the bag? Would you start your top dressing routine immediately or does it have enough juice to care for the plant for x amount of weeks ?

Note; that I intend to transplant fairly quickly from cup :arrow_right: 1gal :arrow_right: 3gal :arrow_right: 5gal and I am used to top dressing as soon as I transplant with my homemade mix and every 3 weeks after that. With a little dash of this and a dash of that in between as I’m sure all of us do :joy:

1 Like

Guess it depends on the time in each container. Stair step transplanting would give fresh goodies each time. I’d watch em young and try to get a handle on the strength of the soil. Looking on the website I’d probably cut that soil with pumice or something for solos.
Good growing :wink:

1 Like

Yeah their site is basically all I had to go off for info so far, but I do appreciate your insight on the pumice as I thought I should be adding something for better aeration at least, though I’ve never even seen pumice in a store before but I do have a fat bag of purlite

1 Like

Perlite will work to cut the soil for babies. Half and half

1 Like

No kidding? I’ve never used even close to that much perlite ever, could explain why I’ve had beautiful seed tails wither away under the soil, just simply not enough air?

1 Like

Half Eddie.( Pack o beans for the reference )

From solo to 1-3-5 seems excessive. Imo with quality soil and inputs 2 weeks after transplanting healthy 1g to 5g you’re ready to topdress and flip. Got worms?

Edit: how much perlite do you normally add? That amount is for seedlings cups and learning the strength of the soil

1 Like

Really? I guess I always just thought the more often you can up pot, the better… no? I especially figured from 1-5 would be too much just because maybe it would stay too wet for too long

1/5 of the mix is perlite I would say, but I’ve just been coasting with it from cup to 5gal

Nothing is “better”. A strong case can be made for doing as little as possible. Red wrigglers from a bait shop cover crop get those 5s going ever consider 7s or 10s?

Sorry I must have forgot to respond to the part about the worms, but no I’ve never used worms before.

yes, i have I’m just not really trying to veg plants for very long so I didn’t think it necessary, and to be totally honest I’ve never even used larger than 3gal so I was thinking the 5gal would be a game changer for me :joy: