Does it matter which line is used for the male?

No. Some growers swear that certain plants do better as one parent or the other, but it really doesn't matter as yield and quality are due to that particular cross and remain the same whenever that cross is repeated. Genetically the siblings in an IBL are the same no matter which gender is used.

It does matter which line, depending on what you’re doing.
If you only have pollen from some Alaskan Thunderfuck, and you seed an OG Kush mother, the seeds will be a cross breed strain, and not OG Kush seeds. I know that seems obvious, but that’s what I’m hearing from the question.
During selective breeding you would pick your best mothers to seed, but beyond cross-breeding or stabilizing a particular strain males aren’t used much, and the aspects for the best genetics of a male plant have not been really explored.

CD

2 Likes

I agree… maybe the question is too out of context…

I think that males are used in breeding also and breeders have their own strategy for selecting males (for production of regular seeds).

I remember Breeder Steve told us about some exceptional Blueberry male he found once that was resinous like hell… These exceptional plants he was willing to reveg for weeks so they could be used in crosses.

IBL is inbred line, so very stabilized genetics. In that case all males should be probably very uniform.

2 Likes

That’s an impressive pic!
The great thing about pollen is a little goes a long way, and if stored properly it can be viable for many years.

1 Like

i believe the male has just as much to do with breeding as the female. cross a shitty male with a good mom and youre just making it harder on yourself.

3 Likes

Of course it matters. Especially for breeding outdoor you have to select good sativa/indica ratio in male for a specific female. For example if you have some good female but you want little harder buds and earlier flowering you choose male from some indica strain. I have always best hybrids crossing female cuttings(best selected female) with pollen of good source.Although as CannabianDad said: “the aspects for the best genetics of a male plant have not been really explored.” So many people just choose the biggest or healthiest male plant possible or with most morfological and metabolic similarities to female plants(like the photo posted by LemonadeJoe)

2 Likes

I agree with what you said, guys.

Original FAQ answer is worthy updating… Maybe they have originally referred only to repeating IBL cross which should technically lead to same resulting offspring everytime repeated no matter which sibling you select from IBL.

But in general it is definitely same amount of “science” involved with selection of potential males for breeding as with females. There is good article by Mr.Soul about selecting parenthood:

3 Likes