DWC KNF question..!?

Do you guys and girls think it would work to do a DWC hydro run using KNF nutrients…?

5 Likes

I think the idea sounds great ! Seems like it would work!

1 Like

I think it could work as long as your reservoir didn’t get hot. I think organic hydro is about keeping everything cool to control pathogens. I am an outsider looking in when it comes to hydro so take my opinion with a grain of salt. @MadScientist

3 Likes

Sure itll work. But i bet you that youd have to clean more often. I recommend soil. Its simple.

2 Likes

Doesn’t KNF depend pretty heavily on soil microbes for success, or does the fermentation process break things down to where they’re more-or-less directly usable by the plants? I’m finally coming around to the “feed the soil, not the plants” mindset for organic growing, and feeding the soil sounds especially challenging when the soil does not exist :laughing:

Anyway, I cannot provide any firsthand knowledge or advice here, but Internet Search seems to suggest that organic hydroponics is possible-but-difficult. I’m with lotus – soil is simple, certainly more forgiving, and also the medium for which KNF was intended :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m doing soil myself, or will be doing (if i ever germinate a seed, LOL) but the thing is that nobody ever tho of doing DWC until someone tried it, they probalby got the idea from the babylonians. I think this is one of those things that you have to do in order for people to believe in it. Not anywhere in the near future, but i can’t be the first to think of something like this, it’s impossible. Obviously, there will have to be some tweak-inning towards the nutrients and their delivery system, because of the absence of soil, but i think it can be done. Cheers!

And certainly nature didn’t intend to be fed thru synthetic nutrients, nature will have to show is a way in which this could be developed.

If we think about something, it means it can be done.

1 Like

I wouldnt even try if i were you. Waste of money and time. Imagine having to worry about ph when doing organicsXD fuuuuuuuuck that lmfao!! Knf is acidic bro. You gonna have to ph up that shit :joy:

2 Likes

Organic based fertilizers are not recommended for hydroponics. I mean it is not impossible, but way harder and impractical. These ferts decompose faster and deteriorate soon at room temperature. It would require changing solution in reservoir more often to prevent foam and smell (which is pain in ass in DWC). In drip systems there is also risk of clogging of micro capillaries.

From Biobizz newsletter

Biogrow/ Fishmix, You can use it, but it decomposes very quickly, because of it’s concentrated ingredients. In an NFT system or nutrient tank it would mean you’d have to refresh the tank every 2 days instead of once a week. Also you have to really know what you are doing. Since it can go wrong easily if you don’t pay attention, we do not promote it.

For automated sytems, it’s the same story. Biogrow/ Fishmix, decompose in two days, and start to foam. So if you have prepared a solution with water Biogrow and/or Fishmix, use the content of the tank immediatly. Besides the mix of these two products can clogg up the tubings of your system. Use at least ø4mm tubings for your watering system to prevent this. It can be advised after feeding to flush the tubings with additonal water, clearing out all remaining residue.