Electrical issue

Do you mean on the outlet?

1 Like

make sure to shut off the power before rewiring the outlet !!!

3 Likes

On switching the black an white wires? Yes

I use the plastic meanwell drivers and they only have 2 wires.
For my own lamps I put a 2 prong plug (I know them) but on
the one for a friend I build, put on a 3 prong and while the ground
isn’t used, there’s no way he could plug it in wrong…

3 Likes

I checked a few plugs in my house an there are some that read hot an neutral is reversed an some that are correct. Two plugs in my kitchen alone

I forgot to mention that this house was built in the 50’s.
I even have some wall plugs reading that I have an open ground?

2 Likes

Is there someone you could borrow a voltmeter from?

You could try plugging your lamp into an outlet that is wired correctly and then measure the voltage from the chassis to earth ground and neutral (with a voltmeter). This will tell you if you have a shock hazard. Even if you do the outlet rewire, I’m not sure how to test this against shock hazard without a meter. Maybe if the “glow” goes away it will give you some confidence.

2 Likes

I can ask. How much is a voltmeter?

Umm, prices vary. They can be had on the cheap via ebay and such. Home depot and Lowes will have them but they might be overpriced depending on what they carry in store. Looks like they range from ~$20 to over $100 depending on the features.
Autozone “may” borrow you one if you ask.

This one is $22 in stores locally:

I assume it comes with probes.

1 Like

I have one of those!
But it’s missing one probe.
I Never knew how to use one either and didn’t want to get shocked tryin to lol.
I just shut off the power to the whole house an rewired that one outlet.
Now I can’t find that thing I was just using damnit

1 Like

Dumbass left it in the last wall socket I sent a pic with…
anyway I plugged it in an it’s reading “correct” now.

1 Like

Unfortunately you’ll need both probes.

Slow deliberate actions, don’t stand on a wet surface, don’t touch metal, and you won’t get shocked (famous last words). This stuff is made to to test to many times the voltage of a home outlet and are made from non-conductive plastics.

1 Like

Ok, intermittent contact. Old outlet or corroded pin on the tester.

edit: oh, nevermind, you rewired the outlet. I get it now.

1 Like

Well I think I might be better off buying one for the home use since all my wiring is backward lol

Before I go any further I want to thank all of you @99PerCent @HappyHemper @HalfBee @legalcanada @Northern_Loki for helping me out.
I know I still need to go buy a voltmeter.
I feel a bit better about messing with my wires now. Of course ain ain’t touchin shit unless my main power is off first lol

5 Likes

No worries, we all want to try to help each other at OG. :grin:

2 Likes

I checked the timer as well and it checked out “correct” also. Thanks @HalfBee

1 Like

Dont assume that the problem is fixed - until - you use a volt meter to be sure there is no voltage from the frame of the light (or any other metal part) to ground.

Its entirely possible you have a problem with the light that is not caused my the reversed hot/neutral wires. In other words, you may well have two problems - the reversed hot/neutral and the short or what ever is causing the shock on the light.

Im with @Northern_Loki as far as being surprised that reversing the hot/neutral would cause this type of issue.

The driver and the light ‘should’ both prevent this kind of shock hazard even if the hot/neutral are reversed.

8 Likes

Dont stuff around with electricity. if it buzzes you return it immediately because it has a fault.

Your dead self wont be able to smoke pot anyway.

keep smiling… and alive.

8 Likes

Understood.
I ordered a voltmeter an it should be coming in today hopefully. But when it does come in ,I’m not sure exactly how to check it for any shorts so I’ll definitely be back.