Electrical issue

Good morning
This morning I went inside the tent to check on my temp an humidity level on some seedlings recently started.
The led I’m using is a king plus 1000 and felt a slight jolt when touching the metal hanger it comes with after it shut off. But I also noticed the lights weren’t completely shut off either. Sorta glowing.
Could this be due to a bad timer? Bad led light?

3 Likes

They are supposed to go all the way off with no glow.

Maybe even your driver.

Does the glow continue after you unplug the light, the fan, other things plugged in?

An electric shock of any kind isn’t right. Should be enough ambient moisture to keep static electric shock muted.

@Northern_Loki might have a suggestion.

4 Likes

Morning!

Couple comments

1. The luminaire has an issue. The issue is that whatever switch (transistor, etc) in the driver is not shutting off the power to the boards, probably because it references the load side. Sometimes this happens with wallbox dimmers that do not require a neutral, and sink their electronics through the load, with extremely low LED loads.

2. Your circuit may not be properly grounded. Check that the ground pin is actually present. Check your IEC cable, check that the case is actually bonded to the ground pin on your extension cord. Whatever current is leaking in to the case is supposed to go straight down to the ground. If your ground is floating, it might mess up the reference for the driver and result in unexpected behavior

My $0.02

6 Likes

When I unplugged the light, it turns off

Not knowing how it was built, there was an issue in the DIY builders
that the neutral and live wire when not correctly placed in plug can
leak residual voltage enough that certain cobs glow when timer off…

Follow wire from driver to plug (not with live voltage) but see if the
output labeled live is indeed going to the proper side of the plug.

2 Likes

I’m no electrician but are you sayin this might happen if the black an white wires are installed backward

I’ll have someone come on over an check my electrical sometime today if possible. Thank you @HappyHemper

2 Likes

Certainly agree with that statement. Usually it’s easy to tell if it’s AC or static. I assume what was felt was AC.

HappyHemper and HalfBee have some good thoughts.

Some further thoughts:

There are a variety of faults that can occur in electronics that will allow leakage of line voltage to the chassis. Many times they are due to design flaws. Sometimes this is due to the manufacturer being as cheap as possible so they can avoid more robust and safe designs. Sometimes, if there is a transformer somewhere in the circuitry, there can be a fault in the transformer winding that allows high voltage leakage. There can also be failing capacitors in the power supply that will allow leakage. Because of the “glow” even when the lamp is turned off, it sounds as though there may be a failing component allowing unwanted AC to leak into other circuitry, onto the chassis, and then possibly into the safety ground. I’d have to look at the circuitry referenced by HalfBee to understand how a line/neutral reversal would cause a similar glow.

Since it’s difficult to know what the circuitry looks like, it hard to know if there is the potential for a dangerous shock. Generally, it’s a good idea to be safe and to avoid using equipment that shocks you until it can be examined/repaired. It would be unlucky if someone happens to be standing on a wet surface and what was once a mild mild shock becomes a dangerous shock.

Whatever that case may be, circuitry such as this should not need to rely on the ground return path on the AC side. In well designed circuitry, there should be essentially zero current flowing on the ground whether the line/neutral are swapped. The ground wire is there for safety, for situations like this, when there is a fault.

6 Likes

Along with that, It’s also possible that the line / neutral on the outlet itself is reversed.

Though, it would be unfortunate if the equipment is sensitive to this (just me being ranty).

Do you have an AC voltmeter available?

6 Likes

I might. Let me check real quick…

all I have is this

3 Likes

Perfect. That’ll tell you if the outlet is wired correctly.

If it is wired correctly, then we can concentrate on trying to figure out the lamp.

4 Likes

Just plug it in and I won’t get shocked?

You’ll be fine. The tester is plastic.

Super safe, wear shoes. If you are paranoid, put on some dry cotton/leather gloves.

3 Likes

Step #2 is to do the same on the outlet of the timer…
Usually not the problem but eliminate the step and later find it to be cause…

3 Likes

Let me go get my wife’s gloves. Hold on a moment

Well I plugged it in an I hope you can read it. It sayin that the hot an neutral is reversed?

2 Likes

Would I just have to switch the black an white wires?

1 Like

Welp, I’ll be darned. That’s what it looks like it could be. Good call on behalf of HalfBee.

So, can you check some other outlets at your location?

2 Likes

I can do that right now